Classics Discussion: Eric B. & Rakim, Rakim & Black Star

Which of these Eric B. & Rakim, Rakim & Black Star albums are classic?

• Paid in Full: YES

Votes: 47 94.0%
  • Paid in Full: NO

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Follow the Leader: YES

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Follow the Leader: NO

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em: YES

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em: NO

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Don't Sweat the Technique: YES

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Don't Sweat the Technique: NO

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • The 18th Letter: YES

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • The 18th Letter: NO

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • The Master: YES

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • The Master: NO

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star: YES

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star: NO

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Ok so some of y'all will be familiar with a project I'm deciding to run. I made this thread: The Official 'Classic Album' Discussion Thread, trying to reach a conclusion as to what defines a classic album. After much discussion, I am running with this definition personally, so take it as you will when you consider your classic albums. But this definition in particular was most agreed upon.

Classic: 1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Props to @mobbinfms for the definition and also for his help generally in helping me with ideas to create these threads.

So I'll be going through one artist per day, and I will list out all their discography or close to all of it until the year 2005, as we decided that an album needs at least 10 years of existence before it can be called a classic or not.

---------------------

First off, I want to thank you guys for truly tremendous participation in the Jay-Z one. I'm hoping EVERY thread here on out can be conducted in that manner, no trolling, good conversation, adherence to the rules.

I just wanna say one thing though. In the polls of the last thread, we had 140+ voting on Reasonable Doubt and then we had like 90 or 100 for the Volume albums. Y'all are meant to vote on ALL the albums, either saying YES or NO to EACH ONE.

Once again though, thanks so much for making this series possible, and the more participation I get from y'all, the better this series will progress as a whole :smile:

---------------------------

Today we're looking at Eric B. & Rakim as a duo, Rakim solo and Black Star. Same rules as before.

p09381c04u9.jpg

66c08b8a30a81fe490edbde8c7342109.629x406x1.jpg

I will be making a POLL. For each album I will present a YES or NO option so if you think that particular album is a classic, you click 'yes' on the poll for THAT album and vice-versa. The acceptance rate for an album to be deemed a CERTIFIED classic is 80%.

If you don't think an album is a classic, DO NOT LEAVE THE POLL BLANK. You vote NO for that album instead so at least we register your vote.

I will NOT count any comments in the thread as votes, you must use the poll. The comments section should be used for discussion only.

Tagging some mods:

@FreshAIG @That Singer Guy... @hustlemania @houston911 @SoulController

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
The first 3 Eric B. & Rakim albums are the only classics on this list.

Black Star has multiple doofy songs and Talib Kweli is a puddinhead.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I voted for Yes for all the EB/R albums, Ra's first solo and the BS album as classics.

damn that's a lot of classics lol

I voted for the first two E&R albums and that's it. I actually voted no on Black Star, which might seem blasphemous but I don't know what it offers other than quality tbh. But my vote can change if I'm convinced otherwise.

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
Ok so some of y'all will be familiar with a project I'm deciding to run. I made this thread: The Official 'Classic Album' Discussion Thread, trying to reach a conclusion as to what defines a classic album. After much discussion, I am running with this definition personally, so take it as you will when you consider your classic albums. But this definition in particular was most agreed upon.

Classic: 1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Props to @mobbinfms for the definition and also for his help generally in helping me with ideas to create these threads.

So I'll be going through one artist per day, and I will list out all their discography or close to all of it until the year 2005, as we decided that an album needs at least 10 years of existence before it can be called a classic or not.

---------------------

First off, I want to thank you guys for truly tremendous participation in the Jay-Z one. I'm hoping EVERY thread here on out can be conducted in that manner, no trolling, good conversation, adherence to the rules.

I just wanna say one thing though. In the polls of the last thread, we had 140+ voting on Reasonable Doubt and then we had like 90 or 100 for the Volume albums. Y'all are meant to vote on ALL the albums, either saying YES or NO to EACH ONE.

Once again though, thanks so much for making this series possible, and the more participation I get from y'all, the better this series will progress as a whole :smile:

Today we're looking at Eric B. & Rakim as a duo, Rakim solo and Black Star. Same rules as before.

p09381c04u9.jpg

I will be making a POLL. For each album I will present a YES or NO option so if you think that particular album is a classic, you click 'yes' on the poll for THAT album and vice-versa. The acceptance rate for an album to be deemed a CERTIFIED classic is 80%.

If you don't think an album is a classic, DO NOT LEAVE THE POLL BLANK. You vote NO for that album instead so at least we register your vote.

I will NOT count any comments in the thread as votes, you must use the poll. The comments section should be used for discussion only.

Tagging some mods:

These threads are dope :salute:. Paid in Full, and Follow the Leader for sure :blessed:

-Quikness-

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

---------------------

p09381c04u9.jpg

Tagging some mods:

Nice thread. Good shyt.

I voted the first 3 Eric b and Rakim albums as classics.

The mos and talib was a great album for sure,not classic imo.

However mos debut for me is one of the best hip hop albums ever ..

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know, Doug E. Fresh told me—we used to hang out when he was touring with us—he said, “Man, Prince, Rakim is so bad, Prince, he don’t have no friends. Just no friends.” I said, “Why?” “Nobody wanna be around him, they just feel small.” And that’s why I always know I’m doing alright:

-Prince

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
@mobbinfms

convince me that Black Star is a classic. I was truly torn on that one. Quality is there for sure.

Same. Not sure I necessary see the influence though. Not to take away from the album, but i see it as just a really dope record.
The album isn't perfect. There are a couple weak tracks. But the highs are absolutely phenomenal. KOS. Brown Skin Lady. Thieves In The Night. Respiration.
Top flight rhyming from both of them.
Quality wise it is a very close call. But I feel it just edges it out.
Then is it still held in high regard? I think so. Remember, I'm only looking at the core audience, so the fact that it was a slow burn and not very successful on a mainstream level is irrelevant.