Classics Discussion: Eric B. & Rakim, Rakim & Black Star

Which of these Eric B. & Rakim, Rakim & Black Star albums are classic?

• Paid in Full: YES

Votes: 47 94.0%
  • Paid in Full: NO

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Follow the Leader: YES

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Follow the Leader: NO

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em: YES

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em: NO

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Don't Sweat the Technique: YES

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Don't Sweat the Technique: NO

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • The 18th Letter: YES

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • The 18th Letter: NO

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • The Master: YES

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • The Master: NO

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star: YES

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star: NO

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Only one classic. Paid in Full. Simply because of how revolutionary it was.

Every single Rakim album had filler. Tracks that weren't wack but clearly a quality dip from the main ones everyone knows.

as for Blackstar.... not to me (alternative hip hop aint my thing in general) but I know that album had a big influence on a lot of producers and rappers here in Toronto.

:feedme:
:jbhmm:
I think I like Microphone Fiend the most out of those three actually. The way he put his words together on that song is just masterful :wow:

I prefer Microphone Fiend to the other 2 by far.

phatphuck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only one classic. Paid in Full. Simply because of how revolutionary it was.

Every single Rakim album had filler. Tracks that weren't wack but clearly a quality dip from the main ones everyone knows.

as for Blackstar.... not to me (alternative hip hop aint my thing in general) but I know that album had a big influence on a lot of producers and rappers here in Toronto.

I prefer Microphone Fiend to the other 2 by far.

i hear you. paid in full is an album that any music listener should hear, and my definition of a classic

SirBiatch

Daps
I remember when I used to tell people Mos Def >>>>>>>>>>>>> Talib Kweli, and get into long ass arguments with people pretending they were equal.

Listening to this Blackstar shyt in full for the first time in a long while, it's :mjlol: how Kweli sounds on this

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I remember when I used to tell people Mos Def >>>>>>>>>>>>> Talib Kweli, and get into long ass arguments with people pretending they were equal.

Listening to this Blackstar shyt in full for the first time in a long while, it's :mjlol: how Kweli sounds on this

Not gonna lie, I don't fukk with either of them that heavy, solo or group. If I wanna listen to their avenue of music, I'll listen to Common

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
'Don't Sweat The Technique' is a classic album people have been saying isn't classic since it came out for no real reason
its low key a stronger and more diverse album than 'Paid In Full' ...I mean "Teach the Children" might be a little cheesy (oddly enough it was the original title of the album) but other than maybe that it has no weak points unlike those "zzz" ass 'Eric B' (did he even do those himself? it sounds like he did tho) solo joints on the previous albums

'18th Letter' is a personal classic of mine BUT I understand why some people don't consider it compared to what was out at the time.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

I've never met anyone who thought they were equal. Mos seemed like a once in a lifetime talent at this time.

Kweli got busy on this album though. Flow problem and all.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
'Don't Sweat The Technique' is a classic album people have been saying isn't classic since it came out for no real reason
its low key a stronger and more diverse album than 'Paid In Full' ...I mean "Teach the Children" might be a little cheesy (oddly enough it was the original title of the album) but other than maybe that it has no weak points unlike those "zzz" ass 'Eric B' (did he even do those himself? it sounds like he did tho) solo joints on the previous albums

'18th Letter' is a personal classic of mine BUT I understand why some people don't consider it compared to what was out at the time.

I was blown away by how good Don't Sweat The Technique was the first time I heard it a few years back. :wow:
But there's no debating it's the red headed stepchild of Eric and Ra albums. :yeshrug:

SirBiatch

Daps
Which songs are filler on the second and third albums?

2nd album: Personally, I don't care for a single song on this album with the exception of "Microphone Fiend." That song is brilliant. The rest? eh. I can appreciate "Follow The Leader" and "Lyrics of Fury" especially if I look at it from a perspective of 88, but the rest of the album? :russell:

I don't care about the 3rd album at all. It could vanish from hip hop and I wouldn't miss it in the slightest. That line on "No Omega" --- "you need more light cause yours got dim/Then you get sparked by the Lord Rakim" is ill as fukk tho.

You really enjoy listening to Mahogany in 2016?

"Over me, she’s goin’ crazy
She’ll rub me on my chest and call me Mr. Sexy" :scust:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Blackstar is one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time. It is truly incredible on every single level. Respiration is a top 5 hiphop track of all time

AND the remix is just as fire, if not better.

Rakim is one of the greatest emcees of all-time.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I pushed my pen and wrote this scribe
Like the morning wouldn't find me alive
I'm surrounded on all sides
By the kind and the cool, wise men and the fool
Young guns attending school, ghetto classes include:
Get yours, get it right
Get down, get paid, get ass, get around
Get on, get fly, get jig and get high