Classics Discussion: Ice Cube

Which of these Ice Cube albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:blessed:

Ice cube seemed like a cot dam super hero to me

Amerikkas most wanted was my first ever hip hop album. I played it so much I wore the dam tape out. Tbh I didn't know what the hell was going on, until I got schooled:krs::whew:

Death certificate is my no 1 hip hop album of all time. So raw, so powerful. I lost my original tape but I still got the CD, scratched up bad, fafed, all that. But I cherish it to this day.

Predator and lethal injection .... biased here. cube could do no wrong as far as I'm concerned:ohlawd:. Both them albums are very important to me, I played the shyt outta them. Whether I can say they are universal classics I'm not so sure...gonna hold my vote for now on these 2.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
voted yes for America's most wanted and death certificate. Lots of hits on both albums. Not enough full knowledge on the others to make them classics. Had some decent tracks on those albums tho. Ice Cube is maybe my second or third goat so those two were easy options. His storytelling is top notch. Not even being from the hood, I can still feel and visualize his lyrics and wordplay. Plus his smooth delivery and harmony over the beats made both these albums classic.

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I really don't think it did.
Source had a well known no 5 mic policy for new albums. Its part of the illmatic mythos.

nah it did. Check out Wikipedia because I cannot find the original source review entry. But it's an original 5 for sure.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
didnt cube do a milly first week with the predator album.

Sold 193,000 copies on the first week, but yes it went straight to number one and was the first "gangsta rap" album to debut at number one, I believe. I think people get a million confused with a hundred thousand.

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
nah it did. Check out Wikipedia because I cannot find the original source review entry. But it's an original 5 for sure.
Ah I see its b4 dennis took over as editor and put the breaks on 5 mics. Wonder if it would have got it under him. Gonna say it wouldn't (obv that would have been wrong but...)

Lo-Co

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Appreciate it bro! I really hope people do enjoy them because it's a good topic of discussion.

yeah straight away it got 5

hmmm

can't go wrong with either

I prefer DC

more venomous, more specific targets of attack, more power in his voice

just a step up in performance

album is one of the most cohesive I've ever heard, just the division into the "life side" and "death side" was brilliant, and interwoven are the teachings of Khalid Abdul Muhammad

and No Vaseline
:gladbron:
Death Certificate had the perfect intro

nikkas are in a state of emergency:ehh:
The Death Side, a mirrored image of where we are today
The Life Side, a vision of where we need to go

So sign your death certificate...:ohhh:

just that intro dropping you into the middle of a funeral service. the sad music, the borderline blood curdling screams
the whole time im listening and i have these looks on my face :dwillhuh::merchant:

right as the intro end the pastor is like

Its one Thing! ITS ONE THING! its just one thing.........

and my heart is just beating in anticipation :lupe:

HE WAS THE WROOOONNG nikka TO fukk WITH!!! :damn::damn:

im here in mental freefall just like :damn:what the fukk is happening!?

then it bleeds over with the first track

cube kicks in with FORCE! shyt made me jump :heh:

That first line kicks you in the chest with authority

GOD DAMN ITS A BRAND NEW PAYBACK:pacspit:

I Was CHEESING :krs::krs:

i literally envisioned these first two tracks, of just cube literally hopping out the casket in anger just busting raps on some G shyt :bryan:

from that moment on i was a cube fan

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
To be clear: I don't like a single Ice Cube album. One or two classic tunes per album, but a lot of meh songs and Ice screaming constantly. I don't think either album has held up in terms of listening experience. But Cube's impact on hip hop is huge.

so I voted AMW.

First of, I love "The nikka Ya Love Ta Hate". One of my favorite Cube songs ever. And there's some funky shyt in "Rollin With the Lench Mob" and "Endangered Species".

Also, it's his first album. A rap fan should hear one of those two first Ice Cube albums just for historical purposes. But neither sounds as good as Illmatic or is even close.

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
To be clear: I don't like a single Ice Cube album. One or two classic tunes per album, but a lot of meh songs and Ice screaming constantly. I don't think either album has held up in terms of listening experience. But Cube's impact on hip hop is huge.

so I voted AMW.

First of, I love "The nikka Ya Love Ta Hate". One of my favorite Cube songs ever. And there's some funky shyt in "Rollin With the Lench Mob" and "Endangered Species".

Also, it's his first album. A rap fan should hear one of those two first Ice Cube albums just for historical purposes. But neither sounds as good as Illmatic or is even close.

I respect your opinion, but I think both albums are better than Illmatic. At the very least they belong in the same league, top tier GOAT contending classics.

Ice Cube isn't the most complex or technical, but I'll be damned if he doesn't grab your attention better than anybody and just spits the rawest and truest shyt out there.

Why did you vote AMW and not DC?

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
I respect your opinion, but I think both albums are better than Illmatic. At the very least they belong in the same league, top tier GOAT contending classics.

nah. If they were up there we'd be mentioning them in that light. and comparing Illmatic to them, instead of the other way around.

Ice Cube isn't the most complex or technical, but I'll be damned if he doesn't grab your attention better than anybody and just spits the rawest and truest shyt out there.

Raw's not enough. You gotta be smooth an artistic.

Cube lacks tact and poetic depth. Someone made a thread about Cube quotables and posters were struggling like they were with Kendrick.

Again, I respect Cube. He was necessary for the evolution of hip hop. But people took what he did and did it better. Namely Nas, Wu, Mobb, etc. Even in Cube's era, I would argue that KRS was a lil better.

Why did you vote AMW and not DC?

I gave my explanation already. DC's songs don't stand out to me. "No Vaseline" is the highlight and I never play that.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

so I voted AMW.

I'm speechless.