Classics Discussion: Nas

Which of these Nas albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
IWW probably only a very good album. Doesn't really do it for me vs for example hell on earth or reasonable doubt.

Stillmatic will always be part of hip hop's narrative but that's because Nas has such a major role rather than because the quality is all there imo.

So its only one: Nastradamus.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Y'all were going so well

UNTIL we got to Pac...and now again with Nas

suddenly the word gets devalued and we're throwing out classics like STDs in a brothel
Pretty much every album has gotten a vote or two in the other threads. The votes so far are what I was expecting. If anything, I was expecting IWW and Stillmatic to be doing much better. Nas may only get one :mjcry:

Daps
braveheart party

smokin

my country

I mean...we can just name random tracks.

Even if you name that many tracks, it just means the album is dope as hell. But why should it be a classic?

I didn't even give Mobb Deep's Hell on Earth a classic, and that album is better than anything Nas has done except Illmatic. It's around equal level with IWW. IWW and Illmatic are far superior to Stillmatic quality-wise, so there's no way it can be a classic for me, unless y'all wanna look at impact exclusively, which isn't wise imo.
I've always loved Smokin' although I can understand the criticism for it.
- I don't consider Braveheart Party since it hasn't been on anything other than original pressings on the album although I can also see that criticism. Not to turn this into a Blueprint/Stillmatic argument, but there are a few tracks (i.e. Jigga That N***a, Hola Hovita, and Girls, Girls, Girls Pt. 2) that I've never been a huge fan of, but the rest of the album is just that great imo.

- Agree with My Country.

:manny:

Daps
Pretty much every album has gotten a vote or two in the other threads. The votes so far are what I was expecting. If anything, I was expecting IWW and Stillmatic to be doing much better. Nas may only get one :mjcry:
He's only getting one.

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps

Some tracks are poor. The ratio is too close to even between good and bad to justify a classic in QUALITY. Plus, even the peak tracks aren't on the level of Illmatic/IWW peak tracks e.g. The Message, NY State of Mind, The World is Yours, I Gave You Power etc. There's maybe one or two of those max.

good

:skip:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I've always loved Smokin' although I can understand the criticism for it.
- I don't consider Braveheart Party since it hasn't been on anything other than original pressings on the album although I can also see that criticism. Not to turn this into a Blueprint/Stillmatic argument, but there are a few tracks (i.e. Jigga That N***a, Hola Hovita, and Girls, Girls, Girls Pt. 2) that I've never been a huge fan of, but the rest of the album is just that great imo.

- Agree with My Country.

:manny:

The Blueprint is far superior to Stillmatic tbh. Even with Jay dumbing it down lyrically, the song power is too much to handle. There's only one weak track and that's Jigga That nikka. Maybe the final track that broke down into 3 was a little unnecessary but eh. The rest is fantastic, with really high highs.

NasirJr

★CAROLINAS FINEST★
Daps
Reppin
The NCarolina
braveheart party

smokin

my country

I mean...we can just name random tracks.

Even if you name that many tracks, it just means the album is dope as hell. But why should it be a classic?

I didn't even give Mobb Deep's Hell on Earth a classic, and that album is better than anything Nas has done except Illmatic. It's around equal level with IWW. IWW and Illmatic are far superior to Stillmatic quality-wise, so there's no way it can be a classic for me, unless y'all wanna look at impact exclusively, which isn't wise imo.
That is your opinion and if you don't like the songs on the album then I can't change your fukking mind. So there's no need to get in another one of these monotonous back and forths.

Voted for Illmatic, Stillmatic and IWW

Whooty Chaser

#PAWGSET
Daps
I read that alot of people in 90's didn't like It Was Written because it was supposedly too commercial. I thought it was a masterpiece the first time I heard it, Nas' storytelling was :mindblown:. Black Girl Lost, Street Dreams, The Message, Suspect, Affirmative Action, and I Gave You Power were my favorites off that album.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Gods Son was a great album. I Am, Nastradamus and SD have no business getting votes though.

yeah but God's Son has no business getting votes either. I'm sorry, but if quality-wise an album doesn't match Hell on Earth, it has no chance for me, unless it is SLIGHTLY lower in quality and has a big impact or relevance or some other accompanying factor.