Classics Discussion: Scarface

Which of these Scarface albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Ok so some of y'all will be familiar with a project I'm deciding to run. I made this thread: The Official 'Classic Album' Discussion Thread, trying to reach a conclusion as to what defines a classic album. After much discussion, I am running with this definition personally, so take it as you will when you consider your classic albums. But this definition in particular was most agreed upon.

Classic: 1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Props to @mobbinfms for the definition and also for his help generally in helping me with ideas to create these threads.

So I'll be going through one artist per day, and I will list out all their discography or close to all of it until the year 2005, as we decided that an album needs at least 10 years of existence before it can be called a classic or not.

-----------------------------

To help bring even more attention to these threads, I'm gonna create a hashtag (again props to mobbinfms for the idea) and I urge you guys to click on the tag and click on the option to watch the tag.

Here it is: #coliclassics

----------------

We did Geto Boys as a group and now we're looking at their most prominent member, the legendary Scarface! Begin!

Scarface1.jpg

I will be making a POLL. For each album I will present a YES or NO option so if you think that particular album is a classic, you click 'yes' on the poll for THAT album and vice-versa. The acceptance rate for an album to be deemed a CERTIFIED classic is 80%.

If you don't think an album is a classic, DO NOT LEAVE THE POLL BLANK. You vote NO for that album instead so at least we register your vote.

I will NOT count any comments in the thread as votes, you must use the poll. The comments section should be used for discussion only.

Tagging some mods:

@FreshAIG @That Singer Guy... @hustlemania @houston911 @SoulController

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
Diary is obv undeniable. No one would disagree.

Fix is start to finish in a way that no other face album quite is. Everything works- features production. Also pretty much accepted anyway I think.

I'm fairly sure most face fans think untouchable is his best so that has to be classic right?

Face beat biggie or hov to the punch with mr scarface is back. Can't say it influenced them but maybe and doesn't really matter - ahead of his time. Biggie's whole depression thing is done first here and the whole mafioso hustler shyt was done here first (just nastier than NY could handle). So that's classic.

World is yours is better version of mr scarface is back. I have no idea why its slept on. Its obviously at the same level as his classics so...

(made is >>>>>)

Once you factor in the geto boys' discog, face is top 3 minimum.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Voted yes for Mr. Scarface is back and the Diary.
Isn't My Homies a compilation?
#tpc
#tnt

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Untouchable is maybe Face's best rapping on an album but the production was far too hit and miss

The Fix was a beautiful contemporary album that was really ahead of its time imo.

The Diary is maybe his best overall work

Mr Scarface and World Yours are amazing albums but just under classics.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983
Face beat biggie or hov to the punch with mr scarface is back. Can't say it influenced them but maybe and doesn't really matter - ahead of his time. Biggie's whole depression thing is done first here and the whole mafioso hustler shyt was done here first (just nastier than NY could handle). So that's classic.

Chris Rock said that too. Scarface was killing himself on record three years before Biggie made Suicidal Thoughts. :pachaha:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Untouchable is maybe Face's best rapping on an album but the production was far too hit and miss

The Fix was a beautiful contemporary album that was really ahead of its time imo.

The Diary is maybe his best overall work

Mr Scarface and World Yours are amazing albums but just under classics.
I feel like the Fix didn't really hold up over time. It was considered the shyt when it dropped, but it faded over time.

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
Chris Rock said that too. Scarface was killing himself on record three years before Biggie made Suicidal Thoughts. :pachaha:
Link? Chris Rock too real

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
Mr. Scarface, Diary, Fix got my votes.

Untouchable is a personal classic.

Other albums were great to good. My Homies was the only lackluster album though and it's pretty much a compilation since Face doesn't even appear on some songs.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983
Link? Chris Rock too real

Top 25 Albums | The Official Chris Rock Site

Everything Biggie did, everything 'Pac did, everything Jay-Z does was originally done on the first Scarface album. Biggie kills himself at the end of his first record; well, Scarface did it three years earlier. He was the first guy to do his rhymes in the first person about robbing people and drug dealing; he was the first guy to really talk about being depressed and being institutionalized, and how his mama is scared of him. He is the most underrated rapper of all time and absolutely in the top three. You cannot get to four without mentioning Scarface. Any rapper knows that.

Basically said everything you typed here.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I feel like the Fix didn't really hold up over time. It was considered the shyt when it dropped, but it faded over time.

I still think it gets recognition, considered one of the best albums of the decade.

On a side not, not hugely relevant, but I think it won the 2000s best Southern album voting tournament on this site, shows you that it is still held in high regard.

Not to mention tracks like My Block.

Also Face managed to get Nas and Jay on the same album
:blessed: