Classics Discussion: Underground Kingz (UGK) & Main Source

Which of these UGK and Main Source albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
All I can speak on is UGK, been a fan since Too Hard To Swallow was a promo when I was working at Sam Goody back in the day. SuperTight was a fukking classic from start to finish, one of my fav tracks had to be Stoned Junkee, the production and lyrics was so fukking raw:

:ohhh: Never heard this before :whew:

My dude, you gotta put me onto more Southern shyt that sounds like that. I love that raw Southern shyt. I heard Ridin Dirty about a year or two ago, and it didn't do anything for me.

This was my go-to UGK joint:

but Stoned Junkee's better.

Dirty D

Vikes & Raptors 4 Life
Daps
Reppin
The 6
Pimp's last verse on this made me a true believer:

According to the Pimp C book he considers this track his masterpiece.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
:ohhh: Never heard this before :whew:

My dude, you gotta put me onto more Southern shyt that sounds like that. I love that raw Southern shyt. I heard Ridin Dirty about a year or two ago, and it didn't do anything for me.

This was my go-to UGK joint:

but Stoned Junkee's better.

:salute: Let me see what I can find for you breh. Wood Wheel is another one, that shyt knock so hard and Bun and Pimps lyrics flow so effortlessly over that slick ass track. When they dropped that track it wasn't available on cd for a minute, then when it was it was only on the RNDS compilation, then later as a bonus track on Dirty Money.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
:salute: Let me see what I can find for you breh. Wood Wheel is another one, that shyt knock so hard and Bun and Pimps lyrics flow so effortlessly over that slick ass track. When they dropped that track it wasn't available on cd for a minute, then when it was it was only on the RNDS compilation, then later as a bonus track on Dirty Money.

Yeah breh. That hard slick shyt.

Thanks in advance :salute:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness

If "Wood Wheel" ain't my favorite UGK track, then it's in my Top 5.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Haven't voted yet because I've never heard riding dirty. Hell I didn't even know they existed until jay z "put them on". It's like a retrofitted classic in my eyes and imo it would be kinda wrong if it gets coliclassic status when southernplayalistic and stillmatic didn't make the cut because people outside of Texas actually bought those albums.

If the poll was just on main source I'd vote breaking atoms.

See, this is where I gotta throw flags.

I understand how you can say you didn't know of them 'til Jay-Z "put them on".
However, Jay-Z said they were his favorite group - and he ain't from Texas.

Ridin' Dirty went gold - and it didn't have a single. So people were buying those albums.

It's not a "retrofitted classic" - it may just be it was a classic the whole time and you didn't know it was.

But even outside of that - I think it's kinda wrong for people to think albums shouldn't be "coliclassic" status
because of other albums' status. We should be considering each album on it's own merits.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I had that joint on repeat last night :banderas:

Too Hard, Super Tight, and Ridin Dirty are all classics

Not sure why you lumped them with Main Source but ok :dahell:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Haven't voted yet because I've never heard riding dirty. Hell I didn't even know they existed until jay z "put them on". It's like a retrofitted classic in my eyes and imo it would be kinda wrong if it gets coliclassic status when southernplayalistic and stillmatic didn't make the cut because people outside of Texas actually bought those albums.

If the poll was just on main source I'd vote breaking atoms.
I'm gonna need you to vote for Breaking Atoms because it's literally one vote away from 80% :mindblown:
As for Riding Dirty, it was massively overlooked in 96. I knew about UGK because of the song they had on the Menace soundtrack a few years prior, but I don't ever remember seeing a video for them or hearing their shyt on the radio. Despite the fact that they were signed to a major, and selling a ton of records, as much as nationwide acts in some cases, they were still regional at that time. :yeshrug:
That's just the way the Southern market was at the time. You could be unknown outside of the South and still go gold :wow:
But the point of this whole series of threads is to go beyond what was popping at the time, and make calls on what has stood the test of time. Although it was unknown to most hip hop listeners outside the South in the 90s, over time, people have played catch up to such an extent that it is now widely considered a classic. The Jay co-sign was critical.
See, this is where I gotta throw flags.

I understand how you can say you didn't know of them 'til Jay-Z "put them on".
However, Jay-Z said they were his favorite group - and he ain't from Texas.

Ridin' Dirty went gold - and it didn't have a single. So people were buying those albums.

It's not a "retrofitted classic" - it may just be it was a classic the whole time and you didn't know it was.

But even outside of that - I think it's kinda wrong for people to think albums shouldn't be "coliclassic" status
because of other albums' status. We should be considering each album on it's own merits.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I had that joint on repeat last night :banderas:

Too Hard, Super Tight, and Ridin Dirty are all classics

Not sure why you lumped them with Main Source but ok :dahell:
Had to fit Breaking Atoms in there somewhere. It's a classic :yeshrug: