CM Punk Pipe Bomb 12 Year Anniversary

⚡⚡⚡

Pro
Daps
The pipebomb promo is what got me back to watching wrestling daily now tbh. I stopped watching WWE back in '03 or '04 (yes, guys I missed the Ruthless Aggression era, I'm pissed) then a friend of mine told me that Rock is coming back for Wrestlemania 27. So I tuned in the Raw when The Rock "came back", it was all cool, but I was kinda disappointed when I found out that he was only gonna be a host for Wrestlemania 27 despite the cool ending when he Rock Bottom'd John Cena with Miz (wow, Miz really mainevented Wrestlemania? That's crazy lol - and the Nas Hate Me Now post WM celebration promo was dope lol) retaining the championship. I wasn't really a huge fan of Punk at first, I be seeing his segments here and there, and I actually thought his character/gimmick was being a emo wrestler for some reason (I didn't really do my Indy search report back then). I did notice that he was a solid talker, and thought he was a decent "heel guy". I was skipping some Raws here and there so I decided to watch the Raw when the pipebomb happened. And my God.....it was really mindblowing and really changed my perspective of wrestling in general. It really got me back interested in wrestling again since Monday Night Wars. Even though the Summer of Punk era came to a shytty end (Triple H vs Punk at NOC 2011), I started checking other wrestling companies that Punk named in his promo, and that was the end of that lol. TL;DR Punk's promo got me interested in wrestling again.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
CM Punk Delivered His 'Pipe Bomb' Promo Five Years Ago Today

Let me take you back in time for a second: The year was 2011. Barack Obama was the president, LeBron James was in the NBA Finals and Johnny Manziel was in no way mentally prepared to be an NFL quarterback. Okay, so not much has changed between then and now, but one thing that did happen that changed the way the world perceived pro wrestling, even temporarily, was CM Punk‘s now-legendary “pipe bomb” promo, which turns five years old today.

Punk closed out the June 27, 2011, episode of Raw with an epic, fourth wall-shattering rant firing shots at John Cena, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Vince McMahon and, of course, his “idiotic daughter” Stephanie and his “doofus son-in-law” Triple H, while name-dropping New Japan Pro Wrestling, Ring of Honor and Colt Cabana. WWE then deactivated Punk’s Facebook and WWE.com profiles, sending the internet full-on foam-at-the-mouth frenzy that CM Punk had gone rogue.

(Here’s what you probably won’t remember until you watch the pipe bomb video, though: CM Punk’s interference at the end of Raw helped R-Truth get aclean victory in the main event over John freakin’ Cena. I’m assuming R-Truth sends CM Punk a floral arrangement every year on this day as a show of gratitude.)

We now know that it was all (kind of) a work sending us into the Summer of Punk v2.0 that made some serious corkscrew turns in the forms of Kevin Nash, Triple H and Alberto Del Rio, but still, the pipe bomb led us to one of the greatest crowds (and best main events) in the history of WWE pay-per-views at Money in the Bank the following month:

Five years later, some things have changed: CM Punk is no longer in WWE, having acrimoniously quit the company in January 2014. He’s now preparing for his first-ever professional MMA fight at UFC 203. Triple H has rehabbed his image with the IWC thanks to his stellar work with NXT. John Cena is still John Cena, though. Good ol’ potato salad. Always consistent.

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
I'm actually not a Triple H hater like most of the IWC but fukk him for going so far out of his way to screw up Punk's momentum.
I forgave him for the Booker T burial ever since the thread about Book defending Michael Hayes.

The Summer of Punk burial was fukked up, even worse considering Punk helped open up the door for indy darlings to thrive in NXT under Trips himself. :francis:

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
CM Punk Delivered His 'Pipe Bomb' Promo Five Years Ago Today

Let me take you back in time for a second: The year was 2011. Barack Obama was the president, LeBron James was in the NBA Finals and Johnny Manziel was in no way mentally prepared to be an NFL quarterback. Okay, so not much has changed between then and now, but one thing that did happen that changed the way the world perceived pro wrestling, even temporarily, was CM Punk‘s now-legendary “pipe bomb” promo, which turns five years old today.

Punk closed out the June 27, 2011, episode of Raw with an epic, fourth wall-shattering rant firing shots at John Cena, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Vince McMahon and, of course, his “idiotic daughter” Stephanie and his “doofus son-in-law” Triple H, while name-dropping New Japan Pro Wrestling, Ring of Honor and Colt Cabana. WWE then deactivated Punk’s Facebook and WWE.com profiles, sending the internet full-on foam-at-the-mouth frenzy that CM Punk had gone rogue.

(Here’s what you probably won’t remember until you watch the pipe bomb video, though: CM Punk’s interference at the end of Raw helped R-Truth get aclean victory in the main event over John freakin’ Cena. I’m assuming R-Truth sends CM Punk a floral arrangement every year on this day as a show of gratitude.)

We now know that it was all (kind of) a work sending us into the Summer of Punk v2.0 that made some serious corkscrew turns in the forms of Kevin Nash, Triple H and Alberto Del Rio, but still, the pipe bomb led us to one of the greatest crowds (and best main events) in the history of WWE pay-per-views at Money in the Bank the following month:

Five years later, some things have changed: CM Punk is no longer in WWE, having acrimoniously quit the company in January 2014. He’s now preparing for his first-ever professional MMA fight at UFC 203. Triple H has rehabbed his image with the IWC thanks to his stellar work with NXT. John Cena is still John Cena, though. Good ol’ potato salad. Always consistent.

I get shivers hearing the crowd when he gets up on the ring post. This was really supposed to be the beginning of the next boom period. I've never heard a wrestling crowd like this in the post invasion era.