Coli black historians and researchers, am I tripping?????

invalid

Banned
Daps
Back in my old nabe, this cafe opened up called Mulata Kitchen + Coffee.

IMG_7058.JPG

I emailed the owner letting her know my concerns and that I took offense to the name.

The owner is from Brazil, this is her.

hqdefault.jpg

And she told me the term doesn't have any negative connotations where she's from and that "mulata" brings to mind "exotic" and "sensual", yadda, yadda.

But I'm like, we're not in Brazil and the name just comes off as a slur to me.

Am I making too much out of this?

Granted, some things may offend some while not others. For instance, "colored" doesn't offend me as I grew up around black people who referred to and still refer to themselves as colored. They find "black" offensive.

Mulata as a name just screams to me "half breed" in the most offensive manner.:picard:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I mean, this is the kind of thing where both parties have a point. I know that the whole mulatto thing doesn't carry the pejorative notion in some cultures, but on the other hand, you gotta move knowing that other might not share your sensibilities of you're in their space.

I wouldn't care personally since it's not meant disrespectfully nor out of ignorance. She's expressing her culture

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm scared to even look. :lupe:

according to the app it’s portuguese for “mulatto” as you suspected

*edit*

my bad...I misread your post...I thought you said she said the word meant “exotic” or “sensual” but she was speaking to the connotation of the word...my bad

• Dap
Reactions: boy

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
She needs to change it to not create problems for herself..shyt could get fire bombed.

A venezuelean Jew I was in college with told me he almost got his shyt kicked in on a plane when he spoke to his partner in Spanish and said 'Negro', to describe a Black product. A Breh overheard him and bought the issue, accusing him of racism and almost taking his head off..you have to be sensitive to these things.

invalid

Banned
Daps
you gotta move knowing that other might not share your sensibilities of you're in their space.

This is kind of my whole thing.
You need to be sensitive to how things may be interpreted by the predominant culture especially when that culture has a history of the same things in their country/region/whatever.

This is in a town where the black chemist Percy Julian was bombed out of his own house.

The bigger issue to me is, who names a business after a racial identity/classification/slur?

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
Yea I think she should change it , I agree with you OP. I never knew that term was offensive though. I always thought it just meant a mixed person

Also

Unrelated but she's bad

But yea she should change that shyt

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Back in my old nabe, this cafe opened up called Mulata Kitchen + Coffee.

IMG_7058.JPG

I emailed the owner letting her know my concerns and that I took offense to the name.

The owner is from Brazil, this is her.

hqdefault.jpg

And she told me the term doesn't have any negative connotations where she's from and that "mulata" brings to mind "exotic" and "sensual", yadda, yadda.

But I'm like, we're not in Brazil and the name just comes off as a slur to me.

Am I making too much out of this?

Granted, some things may offend some while not others. For instance, "colored" doesn't offend me as I grew up around black people who referred to and still refer to themselves as colored. They find "black" offensive.

Mulata as a name just screams to me "half breed" in the most offensive manner.:picard:
Which clientele is she catering to? Meaning is there a substantial Ang./Cabo Verde/Brasilian population in that area?

Or is it primarily catering to local yuppie/buppie/luppie crowd?

If it's Portuguese speakers, or white and Latino professionals she can get away with it. I'm not sure that many Black (non Latin) patrons would be offended.

There are pockets of mixed race (non latin) advocacy groups around the country that might take offense, but I think they are based on the coasts.

Last edited: