Coli black historians and researchers, am I tripping?????

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Mulata/o means the exact same thing in Brazil as it does in America. However it's not used in a derogatory way, it's actually the opposite. They think mulata/o's are thought to be as attractive.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's equal parts you both being culturally tone deaf and unaccommodating

You because you can't accept words means different things and have their own histories and cultures outside of your culture. Long story short, get over yourself and educate yourself.

Her because she should essentially live by the rule of the land. Don't name your store a term that could offend your potential customers :snoop:. At least make your cultural standpoint accessible enough so people wouldn't have to wonder if they're being mocked smh. Pretty arrogant and unappealing on her part.

invalid

Banned
Daps
It's equal parts you both being culturally tone deaf and unaccommodating

You because you can't accept words means different things and have their own histories and cultures outside of your culture. Long story short, get over yourself and educate yourself.

Her because she should essentially live by the rule of the land. Don't name your store a term that could offend your potential customers :snoop:. At least make your cultural standpoint accessible enough so people wouldn't have to wonder if they're being mocked smh. Pretty arrogant and unappealing on her part.

This is an asinine response. We can't both be wrong. It's either we're both right, as someone stated before, or one of us is wrong.

I'm very aware of cultural differences and how certain words carry different meanings among different people. Hence, why I included the "colored" example, where many blacks consider it a slur today, it is how many of my family members identify and so we never considered it a slur at all.

If my last name is Caffer and I go to South Africa and open Caffer Cafe, and I got my ass beat, the locals are not going to reprimand the perpetrators on some yadda yadda tone deaf and respecting his name or american culture". No, if I got my ass beat, then it's on me. It's going to be he should have had more self-awareness about using a name that sounds like Kaffir in an actual business.

And as you mentioned, this lady is not at home. She's in someone else's territory and so she needed to have more self-awareness.

Now, if there is any argument to be made, like some brehs have stated in here, they didn't know mulatto/mulatta was a slur, even though it comes from the word mule. Point taken. Not gonna argue that.

But my own "not being accommodating", not withstanding, when on is not at home, one needs to be self aware and cognizant about the decisions they make and how they can be interpreted by the local culture.

invalid

Banned
Daps
get your boule connects to get it shut down

:mjpls:

Lots of them in OPRF. If I wanted to really do some damage I could. Especially considering how the towns market themselves as being bastions of liberalness and diversity.

If there was any offense to be taken, folks would have already complained. I haven't heard of anything.

Which is why I made this thread, to see if I'm the only one that takes offense to this.

If I wanted to really so some damage, I could have an open letter published in the town newspaper about the name and it's history and reminding OPRF of it's history with Percy Julian. They would get her out the paint quickly because they don't want them marketing problems.

I'm not trying to destroy somebody's livelihood though. Just some education.

concise

Veteran
Daps
Yea, you kinda trippin ... it looks like that place has been open for a while, so it would be highly unlikely that no other black person noticed it.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
@boy, I agree with your take. I esp like the "Caffer Cafe" in in SA example, good one.

She's being culturally messy but she won't be checked, bc wp enjoy this shyt.

• Dap
Reactions: boy

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Back in my old nabe, this cafe opened up called Mulata Kitchen + Coffee.

IMG_7058.JPG

I emailed the owner letting her know my concerns and that I took offense to the name.

The owner is from Brazil, this is her.

hqdefault.jpg

And she told me the term doesn't have any negative connotations where she's from and that "mulata" brings to mind "exotic" and "sensual", yadda, yadda.

But I'm like, we're not in Brazil and the name just comes off as a slur to me.

Am I making too much out of this?

Granted, some things may offend some while not others. For instance, "colored" doesn't offend me as I grew up around black people who referred to and still refer to themselves as colored. They find "black" offensive.

Mulata as a name just screams to me "half breed" in the most offensive manner.:picard:

1b55f55d897cd1227a3c268c61c50154.500x500x1.jpg

Mulatto-Queen-of-Da-Souf.jpg

Rapper out of Atlanta goes by this stage name.

EDIT: I should have re-read the first page of the thread where another member already mentioned her

There's a female rapper named Miss Mulatto.

Plenty of people had issues with her name, yet she's still around using it.

Last edited:
  • Dap

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
OP..

Are you trippin? I will say no..

But, I do believe what she told you is what the word meant to her. She doesn't find mulata to be offensive which is why she named her spot that to boot.

Honestly, I would check her spot out to see what she is selling. If she provides excellent customer services and her products were fire, then I may patronize her business again. If the inverse happened, then I wouldn't..

I say that you did what you felt you had to do and spoke your mind. If it really bothers you, then don't patronize her store and tell others not to do the same.

• Dap

invalid

Banned
Daps
Update: I didn't know at the time but apparently a shyt ton of black people took issue with the name. There is a Black Residents of Oak Park & River Forest Facebook Group and apparently they have been going in on her.

Also, here are some of the Yelp reviews:

I really would like to try this restaurant but why did they have to give it such a horrible name? I took the time to read about what this means in Brazil and it's equally offensive to me and once understood would be to others. Oak Park is a diverse community. People of all races and backgrounds. We celebrate our diversity. It's hard to feel welcome in a restaurant with such a name. Please consider a name change.

The violent and painful history of this name in America and all its horrible connotations doesn't make a meal edible. There are other Brazilian places to eat.

It still bothers me that her whole tone has been 'get over it'.

Cafe hasn't gone anywhere so....:yeshrug:

SATAN

Eve was a thot.
Daps
Reppin
HELL
Calling mixed people Black is not offensive, but calling them Mulatto is..

:unimpressed:
Actually...
:troll:

According to The Coli, calling mixed people Black is offensive. They're not Black, they're bi-racial!
full

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
There's a female rapper named Miss Mulatto.

Plenty of people had issues with her name, yet she's still around using it.

My point is, don't stress yourself out TOO much. You don't wanna end up spending a lot of energy and she still decides to keep it.
There's a female rapper named Mulatto right now.

Back in my day (the 90s) when I was a youngin that was a taboo and offensive thang to say.