***Coli Musicians Thread***

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wasn't sure of the exact place to place this thread so if it needs to be moved
feel free to do so for any mods who happen upon this thread.

I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for anyone who plays an instrument or is currently
looking to start playing an instrument and would like to discuss various ways to learn on their own.
Whether that be through method books, dvd's or reading various websites.

*If you make Hip Hop and your primary "instrument" is a DAW or MPC, feel free to chime in.
*If you're a singer or rapper that's fine as well.
*Any videos/recordings of yourself playing are welcome.
*Doesn't matter if you're Beginner,Intermediate or Advanced all are welcome.

@QuintessentialBM
@shutterguy
@PlayerNinety_Nine
@Supa

Last edited:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Props for the thread and tag. I'll dig up my tracks from Acid and post up. As far as instruments I learned piano at an early age, forgot it cuz I didn't stick with it. Bought a keyboard 4 yrs ago and started youtubing "how to" videos and learned a bit from there. Guitar I have is a Fender Strat, bought from a friend not too long ago, making it a goal this winter to learn it, need to get an amp for it.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:salute: Of course.
I've got FL Studio and occasionally I'll throw drum tracks
together and play chords over it, I'm a beginner as well when it comes
to the Piano/Keyboard. I plan on diving full on into a lesson book
I own and seeing how far I can get on my own.

As for guitar I'd say I'm somewhere between Beginner and Intermediate.
I now "get" the fretboard and how notes are arranged on it, I'm also currently
learned how chords work on it. I plan on eventually tackling some full on songs
only problem is Tab is different from reading Sheet Music (which is a pain :snoop: )

Also feel free to @ any other musicians you guys know of on here.

Last edited:

definition

im not a cool guy anymore
Daps
I've been trying to teach myself guitar (punk/indie mostly ... maybe some blues rhythms).

It's not working very well. I know the chords, but my hands need time to get faster ... plus, I've discovered that my ear is not great, so picking up strumming patterns is difficult for me.

So, that's about every disadvantage one can have short of missing a hand. But, I have fun fukking around with the guitar (i also like buying them -- I've bought three low-mid level Gibsons in the past six months).

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Props for the thread and tag. I'll dig up my tracks from Acid and post up. As far as instruments I learned piano at an early age, forgot it cuz I didn't stick with it. Bought a keyboard 4 yrs ago and started youtubing "how to" videos and learned a bit from there. Guitar I have is a Fender Strat, bought from a friend not too long ago, making it a goal this winter to learn it, need to get an amp for it.
I've been trying to teach myself guitar (punk/indie mostly ... maybe some blues rhythms).

It's not working very well. I know the chords, but my hands need time to get faster ... plus, I've discovered that my ear is not great, so picking up strumming patterns is difficult for me.

So, that's about every disadvantage one can have short of missing a hand. But, I have fun fukking around with the guitar (i also like buying them -- I've bought three low-mid level Gibsons in the past six months).

If you're looking for a cheap option to learn guitar you could check out
"Justin Guitar", I've only heard good things about the site.
http://www.justinguitar.com/

You can follow the beginner and then intermediate method.
I'm one. A beginner rapper and producer.
Dope.
Do you need sounds or anything ? You can always check the tunnel
but one blog I would suggest is www.bedroomproducersblog.com
This website has a ton of links to free software and sounds.

They have drums, synths, E-Piano's, Regular Piano's etc.

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
I
Dope.
Do you need sounds or anything ? You can always check the tunnel
but one blog I would suggest is www.bedroomproducersblog.com
This website has a ton of links to free software and sounds.

They have drums, synths, E-Piano's, Regular Piano's etc.

I'm always looking for new sounds lol. Been peeping The Tunnel for a bit, but never felt confident enough to introduce myself properly, lol. But good looks! I'm definitely looking to improve my sound.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm always looking for new sounds lol. Been peeping The Tunnel for a bit, but never felt confident enough to introduce myself properly, lol. But good looks! I'm definitely looking to improve my sound.
Make sure to introduce yourself and post whatever beats you make, if you ask for feedback, the elder statesman
in the that thread will usually happily offer critique.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Aight - here goes - a recording of my band's set from a festival we played in September - About a thousand or so people stuck around for it :mjcry:

The set was recorded on a Zoom mic - so it's not studio quality, but should get the point across.

So - basically - we've dropped two concept albums about my move from the UK to Canada (hence the accent). One about the move itself, and one about life after it, it's basically one long story with recurring characters and all that.

We started off as a 4 piece (vocals, turntables, percussion and guitar) but in 2012 we started messing with a full live band (alto/tenor sax, bass, keys, drums, male and female singers got added to the mix). Now we play as both.

This song is off the first album about the convo I had with my Uncle when I was homesick and just unfocused in my first six months out here in 08/09

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aight - here goes - a recording of my band's set from a festival we played in September - About a thousand or so people stuck around for it :mjcry:

The set was recorded on a Zoom mic - so it's not studio quality, but should get the point across.

So - basically - we've dropped two concept albums about my move from the UK to Canada (hence the accent). One about the move itself, and one about life after it, it's basically one long story with recurring characters and all that.

We started off as a 4 piece (vocals, turntables, percussion and guitar) but in 2012 we started messing with a full live band (alto/tenor sax, bass, keys, drums, male and female singers got added to the mix). Now we play as both.

This song is off the first album about the convo I had with my Uncle when I was homesick and just unfocused in my first six months out here in 08/09

:wow:
Much respect breh.
You're really out here doing it so :salute:
Is there anywhere we can hear these albums ?
I'm interested after hearing this live performance.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Haven't forgot about this thread, putting a new a/v pc together this weekend, gotta reinstall Acid Pro then I will up some tracks I made. Question for the guitar peeps in hear, I was considering Rocksmith for either pc or ps3 to help with learning the instrument, any feedback or am I waisting my time with the software/game?

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
I played saxophone in middle school. It used to be my dad's and I got it back when I went home for Christmas. It's old and completely out of tune right now. But it's a novelty and I want to get it fixed and fine tuned so eventually I can hop back on it. My pops also put me on those little keyboard lessons that you can do hook up to the computer when I was younger. I forgot a lot of shyt, but I bought a new keyboard on black Friday and I've been fukking with that constantly lately. Getting my skill back up :wow:

I also got a guitar for my birthday, it was one of those relatively cheap Best Buy ones. I think my fingers are too big for the chords right now though and I need to get another one....

Right now I'm trying to get this piano right and it's coming along pretty nice.

GuChiMeng

East (Asian) Atlanta Santa
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Haven't forgot about this thread, putting a new a/v pc together this weekend, gotta reinstall Acid Pro then I will up some tracks I made. Question for the guitar peeps in hear, I was considering Rocksmith for either pc or ps3 to help with learning the instrument, any feedback or am I waisting my time with the software/game?

Check the tracklist and see if there's stuff you like. If there isn't by and large you won't be enjoying much of what you're learning, and as a result, it won't help much and learning guitar songs is just as much of a chore than without it.

Or get it when it's on sale otherwise.

It did bring me around to listening to metal music tho, especially the Deftones :ahh:

But now I really want an 8 string guitar :mjcry: