College Applications

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Actually the best school for her is UCR, it’s easier to get in, they have their own medical school, it has the most most black people and it’s easier to jump ship to other UC grad programs and medical schools from there
is UCR's black population hidden outside of the data because they have the same 3-4% black that UCLA has for example.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
is UCR's black population hidden outside of the data because they have the same 3-4% black that UCLA has for example.

I don’t know what data you are looking at, that must be a recent development

historically ucr has had the most black people, it went down the past few years because a lot of black students started going to Merced

Last data I saw ucr and Merced had the most black people

African American students thrive with high graduation rates at UC Riverside

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
You can change the view to enrollment >>>> demographics...

Says its dropped from 4.3% to 3.4% at UCR.

UCLA has about the same: 3.3%

Oh that must be for this year cuz even the la times article says 6, but it use to be 10 plus before Merced opened

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
who the heck would go to merced though :scust:

Lol, bad grades basically, its the catchall school, which ucr use to be, if you are a Cali hs grad and meet the uc requirements they actually have to let you into the uc system so if the uc you applied to denies you they offer you a spot at Merced

Sadly that’s the real reason Merced apparently is probably the black Mecca of uc now

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Lol, bad grades basically, its the catchall school, which ucr use to be, if you are a Cali hs grad and meet the uc requirements they actually have to let you into the uc system so if the uc you applied to denies you they offer you a spot at Merced

Sadly that’s the real reason Merced apparently is probably the black Mecca of uc now
man what stats are you reading:
Fast Facts 2017-18 | UC Merced
340 students and that's 5% of the total population.....

That's still nothing significant. Either way blacks are in California are way under presented in higher education. Even more so when you branch off into STEM departments. I don't know what the black college attendance rates would mirror if there was no AA studies department.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
man what stats are you reading:
Fast Facts 2017-18 | UC Merced
340 students and that's 5% of the total population.....

That's still nothing significant. Either way blacks are in California are way under presented in higher education. Even more so when you branch off into STEM departments. I don't know what the black college attendance rates would mirror if there was no AA studies department.

i use to look at those stats very closely 4 or 5 years ago and noticed that the ucr black population was going down and the merced was going up, they were about even last time i looked

but 5% would make it the UC black mecca if ucr is at 3.4

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
i use to look at those stats very closely 4 or 5 years ago and noticed that the ucr black population was going down and the merced was going up, they were about even last time i looked

but 5% would make it the UC black mecca if ucr is at 3.4
I'm not trying argue semantics man. You're focusing on a ratio. I'm looking at the overall number numbers, of black students moving through higher education. Either way our population in higher education, in this state is a rare commodity. Going to the best school,someone can get into regardless is what matters.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I'm not trying argue semantics man. You're focusing on a ratio. I'm looking at the overall number numbers, of black students moving through higher education. Either way our population in higher education, in this state is a rare commodity. Going to the best school,someone can get into regardless is what matters.

i use the term black mecca cynically, not literally

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
exactly. that's why i quoted him because no one should pick a UC campus because they have 100 more black people than the other campus. get into the best one you can and keep it moving.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
exactly. that's why i quoted him because no one should pick a UC campus because they have 100 more black people than the other campus. get into the best one you can and keep it moving.

i think if somebody gets into ucla and berkely they should def go there but the other uc campuses are just a matter of personal preference and other criteria

all i was saying is that UCR is a good choice and throwing it into the mix, i wasnt telling anybody what criteria they should use, some people do take into account the number of black students and the overall campus racial vibe, its not for me to say whether that's important or not to an individual, if people want to ignore racial issues that's fine i suppose

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
i think if somebody gets into ucla and berkely they should def go there but the other uc campuses are just a matter of personal preference and other criteria

all i was saying is that UCR is a good choice and throwing it into the mix, i wasnt telling anybody what criteria they should use, some people do take into account the number of black students and the overall campus racial vibe, its not for me to say whether that's important or not to an individual, if people want to ignore racial issues that's fine i suppose
i'd agree with you for a meaningful number, but a difference of about a hundred isn't meaningful.