Confessions of a Fight Fixer (Mitch Blood Green Excerpt)

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why I Fixed Fights

I started managing Mitch Green in late 1991, a little more than a year before his loss to Bruce Johnson. He'd been a high-profile contender—an imposing eccentric who'd famously fought Mike Tyson twice, once in the ring and once on a Harlem street, and who with a little work could be brought back into the title picture. Our first business meeting took place at a gimmicky penthouse restaurant in Cambridge, Mass., that revolved slowly above the city. The first thing Mitch did was rise up from the table, peel down the top of his bright orange jumpsuit, flex his pecs, kiss his biceps, and invite a roomful of sedate diners to "feast your eyes on what a real heavyweight is supposed to look like."

This bit of underground theater made me optimistic: Mitch Green could still work a room. But no sooner had the ink on our contract dried than he got shot. While idling on the corner of 129th Street and Lenox Avenue in Harlem, Mitch slapped a man who'd been baiting him about his fights with Mike Tyson. The guy bolted into his apartment and came back blasting. I still have the blood-stained sneaker, complete with bullet hole. I keep it as a kind of macabre reminder, though I'm not sure of what.

Mitch limped six blocks to Harlem Hospital. He was X-rayed, told the bullet had passed through his leg, given a clean bill of health, and sent home. The attending doctor missed the bullet lodged behind Green's knee. By the time Mitch called me a week later, he couldn't walk. His femur, further traumatized by running and jumping rope, had split like a tree branch. I flew him to Boston, picked him up at Logan Airport, and took him straight to Beth Israel Hospital. The Celtics' orthopedic surgeon, Frank Bunch, had him on an operating table within two hours. If he'd waited another day, Mitch probably would have lost his leg.

During the six months of rehab that followed, Mitch lived at a house I owned near Boston. He regularly demanded cash; had two girlfriends flown in from different parts of the country for what turned into a non-consensual threesome that ended only when my terrified downstairs tenants called the police; sent the "salary" he was getting home to his mother, who spent it on bingo trips to Atlantic City, and complained incessantly. I didn't get it: I was knocking myself out for him and he was doing nothing for me, yet he never stopped complaining.

Visions of Don King and Mike Tyson obsessed Mitch Green, along with those of a number of black civic leaders he believed to be in cahoots with them. It was generally assumed he was paranoid, crazy, and dangerous. But consider: When Mitch was a child in Georgia, his father had been shot dead at point-blank range by a man he was simultaneously shooting dead. The men's funerals were held in the same mortuary on the same afternoon, both families sweating through their Sunday best no more than a few feet apart. Or this: As a gang lord, Mitch presided over New York's Black Spades, a gig that required him to maintain an aura of menace while fending off anyone insane enough to challenge him. Or this: As a young man who'd won the New York Golden Gloves heavyweight title four times in a row, he'd been given money, cars, and an assortment of flashy presents by some of boxing's white elite, like Shelly Finkel and Lou Duva.

After sleepwalking in 1986 through a 10-round decision loss to Mike Tyson, held in Madison Square Garden and shown on HBO—for which he received $30,000—Green met his nemesis again on the street. Their brief, violent encounter made headlines. Afterward, Green dropped off the boxing map.

My job was to bring him back. Smarter men than I said it was impossible. Signing up Mitch Green even earned me 1993's "Sucker of the Year" award in Boxing Illustrated. The only money Green ever made me came from betting Al Braverman, Don King's director of boxing, that I'd be able to coax him back inside the ring.

I was sure I'd picked the right foil for Green's comeback match. A gangly, knock-kneed cruiserweight, Bruce Johnson came in with a record of 8-22-1. He'd been knocked out 17 times and had never beaten a credible opponent. Johnson always arrived from out of town prepared to lose. His livelihood depended on his career going nowhere.

In the dressing room, Bruce told me he was afraid of Mitch Green, then held me up for $500 more than the price we'd agreed on. All I would have had to say for Mitch Green to win was: "You want five hundred more dollars? Get knocked out by the third round."

I didn't do that. I didn't think I needed to. Mitch Green was going to kill him.

But in a tiny arena in Woodbridge, Va., on a frigid winter night when a blizzard reduced the house to nearly nothing, Mitch Green, angry that he wasn't getting paid enough or being properly respected, got into the ring and refused to throw or block punches. Johnson was never on his radar. Mitch ignored his feeble jabs. He also ignored me, my partners Pat and Tony Petronelli, and everything but the private buzzing in his head, gazing stone-faced over Johnson's shoulder into the middle distance. After several warnings from the referee to start punching or risk having the fight stopped, the plug was pulled in the third round as the handful of spectators hooted. Mitch "Blood" Green had thrown his future away in less than nine minutes.

I wouldn't talk to Mitch Green after that. I'd lost a year of my life and $80,000 on him.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
Why I Fixed Fights
Why did I fix fights? I fixed fights because it was the smart thing to do.
Winning a world title is definitely hard, time-consuming work, so that kind of arc expresses some truth. What it obscures is the fact that most of the fights designed to get that fighter his title shot are fixed in one way or another. Anybody who spends his own money advancing a fighter and knows what he's doing engages in some form of fight fixing. And, wittingly or not, almost every titleholder has benefited from fixes.
quoted for everybody coming in threads saying fights are never fixed

Last edited:

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
The most responsible way to develop a new fighter is to combine easily winnable fights—albeit ones that require some of his attention and skill—with fixed fights that will move him quickly up the ratings. The goal is to earn a fighter as much money as possible without incurring unnecessary wear and tear. He'll have to be in enough tough fights when the time comes.

Fight fixing is such an accepted part of the boxing business that there's a standard way to do it. You call up or visit the gym of any trainer who represents "opponents," and have the following exchange:

"I've got a middleweight who could use a little work." [Read: His fight shouldn't be more than a brisk sparring session.]

"I got a good kid. But he ain't been in the gym much lately." [He's out of shape.]

"That's OK. I'm not looking for my guy to go too long." [It's got to be a knockout win.]

"My kid can give him maybe three good rounds."

And that's it. Your fighter's next bout will go into the record books as a third-round knockout victory.

Your guarantee that you'll get the result you want is simple: Guys who deliver opponents have to earn a living. If their fighters win, they won't be able to do that. On occasions when an opponent realizes victory is within his grasp, his trainer reminds him that getting fresh will prevent him from being paid. If this doesn't work, the trainer stops the fight in the corner after the agreed-upon round. "I have to watch out for my kid," he laments. "He was taking too much punishment" or "His leg cramped up" or "Jeez, I can't explain it. The kid just quit on me. And he was doin' so good." He shakes his head sadly.

I've arranged for countless such endings. I've bought off referees and commissioners. I've simultaneously managed fighters from both corners. I've picked up the tab for entire fight cards, effectively guaranteeing that the judges were in my pocket. While standing a foot from ringside, I've had kayoed opponents wink at me as they were being counted out.

:patrice:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
:upsetfavre:

No one is saying fights are never fixed. I just have an issue with someone yelling "fix" whenever it's not the outcome they predicted. :beli:

Great read btw @Walt

Right.

Also the person that wrote the article was referencing "new" fighters such as a prospect:

The most responsible way to develop a new fighter is to combine easily winnable fights—albeit ones that require some of his attention and skill—with fixed fights that will move him quickly up the ratings. The goal is to earn a fighter as much money as possible without incurring unnecessary wear and tear. He'll have to be in enough tough fights when the time comes.

With him acknowledging that "when the time comes", aka against other elite fighers, there are gonna be enough tough fights. Who cares if a prospect pads his record on the rise, a good fan can spot a "padded" record (Deontay Wilder) immediately:manny:

I've never seen proof that an elite fighter has ever been in a fixed fight with another elite fighter (aka Bradley vs Manny):yeshrug:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
I could pick the winner of a fight more than 90 percent of the time, and I thought this was a unique talent. I didn't know that nearly everyone in boxing could do it; those who can't, hire someone to do it for them.

Coli posters on the odds makers payroll? :mjpls:

In fights that aren't fixed, even well-informed mismatches can go awry. Personal problems, off nights, jealousies, injuries, internecine conflicts, double-crosses, hometown decisions, promotional affiliations—all can throw a monkey wrench into the most carefully laid of plans.

:mjpls:

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
So up n coming fighters fight cans only looking for a check...

Who would a thought...this is some ground breaking news brehs...Somebody needs to give this info to Jim Lampley so he can speak on it on the Fight Game:beli:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
In fights that aren't fixed, even well-informed mismatches can go awry. Personal problems, off nights, jealousies, injuries, internecine conflicts, double-crosses, hometown decisions, promotional affiliations—all can throw a monkey wrench into the most carefully laid of plans.

shyt look no further than bradley vs provodnikov as a perfect recent example of this

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
Ultimate example....Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas:manny:
tyson, in particular, had a few fights in his career that did look off, like the bruce seldon ko. thats a bad dive, so it stands out. but how many fights were legit and how many really werent, since they were rigging these fights? my stance is you cant just stick your head in the sand and act like its not happening

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps

Worst kept secret in boxing

Journeymen: the boxers who choose to lose

He was under no illusions from the beginning. Yet the point was driven home in his eleventh fight. Having lost his first ten, including defeats to three future British champions, he made a statement by knocking out Latvian Sergejs Rozakmens in the first round in Newark. The win did him few favours. “I had a couple of fights already booked after that,” Johnny said. “But the phone just stopped ringing. All of a sudden they saw me as a risk. So after those I was out of work for a month, whereas when I was losing every week, I was in demand. That’s how it goes.”

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
beautiful thread.......

NAk6C.gif

and to add on to this glorious thread ....

this muthaphuka and his family "DUVA" was notorious for FIXING fights......even drugged a few of his fighters based on his unethical business practices as a former Union leader with mob ties....

quote-you-can-sum-up-this-sport-in-two-words-you-never-know-lou-duva-56-20-99.jpg

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
youre right. at the same time i wouldnt try to shame someone off their opinion, knowing how crooked this sport really can be and really is though.

what fights u believe that were fixed?

I know burley had to take dives cause of taxes/or loan shark mobs.

mafia messed up a lot of stuff back then in boxing. like man u never know in the old days.