Considering becoming an electrician....questions.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
So I've been doing my due diligence looking up trades and decided that I'll go for being an electrician. I live in Upper Marlboro, MD so from what i can see IBEW 26 is the local union to go to. I have a BA from UCF and im 22. Just wanted to ask for any that know if this is a good time to apply for an apprenticeship to the union (cause from what I heard the wait to be accepted can be long and some times are better than others). Also I know the work is hard especially for a first year but I played basketball in HS, so I also wanted to ask if the work would be harder than it is training for that kind of sport. Also In the case I cant get in the union for them to pay and train me through school, would it be better to take classes at a CC in the mean time that I wait or re-apply? I dont particularly like being on my phone and I enjoy working out and I come from a family where criticism has shaped me so I feel like I could handle the mental and physical aspects, Any other answers from other tradesmen are welcomed as well, just trying to get some advice directly so I hopefully transition smoothly into this.