Could Liberia Ever Become The African-American Version Of Israel? (Should AA's Support It?)

Should African-Americans Support/INVEST (In) Liberia & Turn It Into Their Homeland?

• Total voters

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I somewhat know about the history of Liberia between us AA's and Liberians. There was some kind of conflict between the two and the CIA getting involved. Also, there was a civil war/cannibalism. However, some places of Liberia have improved.

Billionaire (founder of BET) Bob Johnson said AA's should support Liberia like Jews support Israel. Before reading this article I agreed that we should invest in Liberia or PR and transform it. Face it, AA's need an OFFICIAL home land.

Johnson has committed to investing $30 million to help fund Liberian entrepreneurs and last year opened a luxury resort there. He has taken delegations of African Americans to Liberia and is encouraging African Americans to invest in the country the way that American Jews support Israel.

The first black American billionaire is a busy man, but he took a few minutes to answer questions from The Root about his Liberian push and why African Americans should invest in Liberia, even at a time when so many are struggling at home.

The Root: How did you come to form a relationship with Liberia?

Robert Johnson: I formed a relationship with the country of Liberia as a result of my participation in President Clinton's Global Initiative. I was introduced to, and talked with, the president of Liberia. I was impressed with her vision for the future of Liberia, her commitment to a democratic Liberia, and was aware of the longtime relationship between us and Liberia historically.

TR: What is your vision for this relationship?

RJ: What I'd like to see happen is to be of help to President Sirleaf and the people of Liberia in an effort to restore their country after 15 years of civil war to a very vibrant, functional, free democracy with a free-market economy that provides jobs and economic development; to make Liberia an economic success story in West Africa; and to create a strong middle class for the 3.4 million people living in Liberia.

TR: Talk about your leadership in this area.

RJ: I have worked very hard to get Delta to fly direct flights, I have a four-star hotel right outside of Monrovia and I am getting involved in housing development.

TR: What role specifically do you think African Americans should play?

RJ: African Americans should understand that we have a long, historical and cultural tie to Liberia. Liberia was founded by freed slaves from America. The first 10 presidents were former freed American slaves. Their flag is like ours. As African Americans, we should look at Liberia the way Jews look at Israel. This should be one of our primary causes, to make Liberia the gateway to West Africa economically.

African Americans should urge members of Congress to support [Liberia. I think we should support Liberia [financially]; African Americans are doing this already. There are a number of churches over there. Liberians need books; you don't have to send a check. It can be very simple things. You can support some of the organizations that are doing things in Liberia.

TR: Do you think this is the best investment for black Americans at a time when so many black Americans are suffering? The most recent census statistics show that nearly one in four black Americans lives in poverty.

RJ: I think we recognize that we have some tremendous problems at home. The whole idea of the wealth gap, the unemployment rate, is heavy for African Americans. We've got these problems, but like I said, if you are a businessperson and you want to invest in West Africa, Liberia is a good place to do it.

From an individual, personal standpoint, it may be tough to do things … but to the extent that you can, whether it is a book drive or supporting the understanding of our historical relationship with Liberia, that is a plus.

TR: Does the fact that you are asking African Americans to adopt Liberia for our own philanthropy signal to you a rise in the stature of black Americans?

RJ: We never had an African-American president. That is a huge statement for the man and the nation. At the same time, we have a huge gap in wealth creation, jobs and economic opportunities. Those two things are in conflict. Those contradictions have to be addressed. We cannot be lulled into the false sense of security. We've got to be able to look at the world as it is and move things in a positive direction that will benefit the 40 million African Americans in this country, and not just the select few of us.

http://www.theroot.com/bob-johnson-urges-african-americans-to-support-liberia-1790881403

Even though Liberia does face corruption I and many others believe that there's still hope. AA's really do need a homeland. We are talented and skillful. Hell, our ancestors and Natives put the United States on their backs.

If a mod can sticky this thread @Houston911 or feature it it'll be appreciated. Hell, you featured @Malkoonxxx_23 thread on @Ronnie Lott

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
We do, it's called America
:ld:

P.S. the Americas are continents not country.

Also, I like in the U.S., but often don't feel like an American. Yes, I do support my country, but I and many other AA's feel marginalized. We are treated like sh-t from society. After we helped build and fight (still fighting) for this country.

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
:ld:

P.S. the Americas are continents not country.

Also, I like in the U.S., but often don't feel like an American. Yes, I do support my country, but I and many other AA's feel marginalized. We are treated like sh-t from society. After we helped build and fight (still fighting) for this country.
I obviously meant the states and regardless of the bullshyt, I'd rather invest all my time and effort here. Funny how it's still the best place for us to be despite the BS.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Not the best comparison OP.

Also Liberia was not "funded" by free slaves, but by the American Colonization Society, whites giving Blacks land and not caring what locals thought about it. Basically, colonisation.
True. However, knowing that, AA's should a least fund money into it now and AA billionaires. The AA's need a homeland. What we need to do is get Congress to support this idea.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I obviously meant the states and regardless of the bullshyt, I'd rather invest all my time and effort here. Funny how it's still the best place for us to be despite the BS.
I think we should invest in the South tbh. AA's and Caribbean brehs are moving down here kinda heavily :manny:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Fam, why don't yall post these topics in THE ROOT instead of TLR?!!!

:mindblown:
The root doesn't get traffic like TLR and I put serious thought into this thread. Also, I want this thread featured and to get a lot of replies.
:dead: No you don't. Your threads are literally unoriginal recycled obvious pro-black topics