Curt Schilling: ESPN employs ‘some of the biggest racists in sports commentating’

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Curt Schilling: ESPN employs ‘some of the biggest racists in sports commentating’

Curt Schilling was fired by ESPN last week for “unacceptable conduct,” which was understood to involve his penchant for sharing politically controversial comments and memes via social media. Now the former pitcher is apparently free to train his fire squarely on the network that parted ways with him.

In an interview Wednesday with the “Breitbart News Patriot Forum” on Sirius XM radio, Schilling said, “Some of the most racist things that I’ve ever heard come out of people that are on the air at ESPN.

“There are some of the biggest racists in sports commentating, and you take it for what it is,” the 49-year-old continued. “You know who they are, you know what they are. I like that they are open because then you know who they are. You know that they exist.”

Schilling himself has been accused of being, if not racist per se, then certainly insensitive to many groups of people through his social media posts. One meme he shared, which got him suspended from ESPN’s baseball coverage in 2015, compared extremism in the modern Muslim world to Nazi Germany in the 1940s. On a radio appearance in March, he suggested that Hillary Clinton “should be buried under a jail somewhere.”

The act that appeared to have been the last straw for ESPN, which had advised its employees to “refrain from political editorializing,” came earlier in April, when Schilling shared a meme on Facebook while weighing in on the so-called bathroom laws enacted in several states. “A man is a man no matter what they call themselves,” Schilling wrote. “I don’t care what they are, who they sleep with, men’s room was designed for the penis, women’s not so much. Now you need laws telling us differently? Pathetic.”

In its statement regarding Schilling’s dismissal, ESPN said it was “an inclusive company,” but to the six-time MLB all-star, his greatest sin wasn’t that he expressed his political opinions, but that they represented the incorrect side of the political divide. “It was apparent to me early on that if you wanted to go off topic as a sportsperson, you had to go off topic left, or you were going to get into trouble,” he told Breitbart.

Schilling claimed that other ESPN employees would tell him that they agreed with his political views, but quietly, for fear of reprisal from the company. “We had the green room in ESPN, which I kind of turned it into a locker room where everything was on the table — you could make fun of anybody’s mom and all the things that go with that, like in a baseball locker room,” he said.

“But I had people come up to me and go [whispering] ‘Hey, I’m with you. I’m a Republican, too.’ But they had to whisper,” Schilling said. “It was like a deadly serious thing, like … religion on the table was a much easier discussion to have than who you voted for.”

In an interview Friday with a Breitbart radio program, Schilling indicated that the money he made during his playing career gave him the freedom to speak his mind. “A lot of people can’t or won’t jeopardize what they do for a living to be and espouse the things they believe and are,” he said. “I’m not that guy. I’m not dependent on other people to support my family for the rest of my life.”

In addition to his comments on radio Wednesday, Schilling continued his social-media activity, and he shared a post that questioned ESPN’s “standards” in employing or working with some other people. Shortly before that, Schilling offered a meme that suggested Clinton was indifferent toward women allegedly sexually assaulted or harassed by her husband, former president Bill Clinton.

A noted online satirist, @PFTCommenter, took advantage Tuesday of Schilling’s fondness for sharing memes with a particular point of view. Using his @Strong_Takes account, PFTCommenter, a contributor to Barstool Sports, created one that ostensibly took aim at Beyonce and “R&B” while celebrating police officers. The catch was that the image came from a Beyonce video — the woman in the police uniform was the pop star herself — but, sure enough, it earned a retweet from Schilling.

schilling0427.png

Schilling’s major league career began in 1988 with the Orioles and ended in 2007, following stints with the Astros, Phillies, Diamondbacks and Red Sox. He had a career record of 216-146 with 3,116 strikeouts, and he helped bring World Series titles to Arizona (2001) and Boston (2004, 2007).

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
It's funny that he says you have to whisper about being a republican, yet says you can openly discuss religion :heh:

This fool doesn't realize how much double talk he's doing? Religion is a 'Right-wing' pen ultimate that most 'liberals' hate to talk about.

Furthermore ESPN is located in BRISTOL, CT!!! Most of his former co workers are 40yr old+ rich white guys, I wonder which party they subscribe to?

:camby: go back to being a good pitcher with a hot daughter who shut the fukk up Schilling.

Gyasi85

Superstar
Daps
Says the CaC who put ketchup on his sock and call it blood to garner sympathy from his fellow naive and gullible CaCs back in 04 :smugbiden: Between this ofay nikka and Lenny "Coke Head" Dykstra....I dunno who worse....How the fuc you end up in a documentary hit piece full of broke nikkas and you the only CaC ? :russ: And How during a time when ESPN desperate to keep talent from leaving...you the one fool who was asked to leave ? :heh: Schilling My Ofay nikka...Hold This L :feedme:

Last edited: