Deion Sanders calls out inequities at HBCU Jackson State: 'It causes a kid not to dream'

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
It maybe current reality but it doesn't have to be future reality.

You are a 5 star recruit, you got your pick of the litter between the top schools and Jackson State University, are you really gon choose JSU over the top schools?

Keep in mind, this is what you're signing up for

1. Inadequate weight rooms

2. Lack of tv exposure

3. Poor dorms(Howard, the top HBCU had rats and leaks, what you think the poorer schools like JSU have)

Why would you sign up for the above, when your main reason to go to college, is to get to the NFL? Keep in mind, not all 5* recruits make it to the league, so going to a HBCU just makes it that much harder to reach your goal.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
You are a 5 star recruit, you got your pick of the litter between the top schools and Jackson State University, are you really gon choose JSU over the top schools?

Keep in mind, this is what you're signing up for

1. Inadequate weight rooms

2. Lack of tv exposure

3. Poor dorms(Howard, the top HBCU had rats and leaks, what you think the poorer schools like JSU have)

Why would you sign up for the above, when your main reason to go to college, is to get to the NFL? Keep in mind, not all 5* recruits make it to the league, so going to a HBCU just makes it that much harder to reach your goal.

TV exposure doesn’t mean shyt in today’s college football. Carson Wentz didn’t have TV exposure but scouts all knew who he was.

Trey Lance didn’t have TV exposure but is the 4th rated QB in this years draft.

not to mention HBCU’s play on TV now.

At the end of the day, going to a PWI doesn’t guarantee you an NFL job. The players make the school not the other way around.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
I’m curious to why you say quarterbacks?
I am about to get a bit long winded in theory so please excuse the rant.
Based on what I have seen growing up in the 80s and 90s as a child/teenager.

I’m 40 so guys like Doug Williams, Steve McNair and more recently, Tavares Jackson were talented guys who were developed at an HBCU. Growing up, it wasn’t uncommon to see Grambling or Southern playing on a nationally televised game. The talent was there.

I think part of the reason why most of today’s black quarterbacks except for guys like Mahomes, Wilson, and Watson’s are seen as disposable because they never get the polish that they need before leaving to go pro.

There are a lot of guys working everyday jobs that used to play ball that would probably had hall of fame careers if they chose schools based on programs best suited for their skills and talent rather than just a brand name.

Most kids see the big name schools as an easy path to go pro; however, those schools barely prepare these guys for the pro level game. They just ride their asses to wins based on talent and wish em them best once they leave. They get to the pros and get labeled as “uncoachable” or lacking “professionalism” but for the most part they never been a part of those things growing up so how can they expect it at the highest level?

Living in Brooklyn, I see it a LOT with the kids here on the AAU circuit in hoops. It mostly comes down to resources. Most of the kids here kick scratch and brawl for a spot on the coveted shoe branded travel squads for recognition. For the most part, these teams do very little for player development and are quick to replace players if it means a better shot at winning. I think if these kids had men that look like them grooming them from young at institutions made for them, we would see a difference in the level of talent coming from the HBCUs in hoops and the gridiron.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
I am about to get a bit long winded in theory so please excuse the rant.
Based on what I have seen growing up in the 80s and 90s as a child/teenager.

I’m 40 so guys like Doug Williams, Steve McNair and more recently, Tavares Jackson were talented guys who were developed at an HBCU. Growing up, it wasn’t uncommon to see Grambling or Southern playing on a nationally televised game. The talent was there.

I think part of the reason why most of today’s black quarterbacks except for guys like Mahomes, Wilson, and Watson’s are seen as disposable because they never get the polish that they need before leaving to go pro.

There are a lot of guys working everyday jobs that used to play ball that would probably had hall of fame careers if they chose schools based on programs best suited for their skills and talent rather than just a brand name.

Most kids see the big name schools as an easy path to go pro; however, those schools barely prepare these guys for the pro level game. They just ride their asses to wins based on talent and wish em them best once they leave. They get to the pros and get labeled as “uncoachable” or lacking “professionalism” but for the most part they never been a part of those things growing up so how can they expect it at the highest level?

Living in Brooklyn, I see it a LOT with the kids here on the AAU circuit in hoops. It mostly comes down to resources. Most of the kids here kick scratch and brawl for a spot on the coveted shoe branded travel squads for recognition. For the most part, these teams do very little for player development and are quick to replace players if it means a better shot at winning. I think if these kids had men that look like them grooming them from young at institutions made for them, we would see a difference in the level of talent coming from the HBCUs in hoops and the gridiron.

there are plenty of PWI schools that don’t prepare quarterbacks for the NFL tho. It comes down to talent and work ethic.

there are black quarterbacks who weren’t talented enough to play for PWI schools so they transfer to an HBCU and still don’t do shyt.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
there are plenty of PWI schools that don’t prepare quarterbacks for the NFL tho. It comes down to talent and work ethic.

there are black quarterbacks who weren’t talented enough to play for PWI schools so they transfer to an HBCU and still don’t do shyt.
Those guys quarterbacks who weren’t prepared never had it to begin with. Most black quarterbacks are seen as being given the opportunity to play there not afforded at PWI’s. Yes, talent and work ethic are key components of being provided the opportunity; however, there are a lot of other factors (politics in summation) to be considered when someone is afforded an opportunity to play college ball.

I agree that most people when given an opportunity to flourish don’t live up to the expectations but it’s fair to examine the conditions which precede the performance which is what I am trying to express.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
Those guys quarterbacks who weren’t prepared never had it to begin with. Most black quarterbacks are seen as being given the opportunity to play there not afforded at PWI’s. Yes, talent and work ethic are key components of being provided the opportunity; however, there are a lot of other factors (politics in summation) to be considered when someone is afforded an opportunity to play college ball.

I agree that most people when given an opportunity to flourish don’t live up to the expectations but it’s fair to examine the conditions which precede the performance which is what I am trying to express.

So if Mahomes or Deshaun Watson went to Grambling or North Carolina A&T, you’re saying they wouldn’t have gone to the NFL.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Negative azz nikkas in here....

But what else is new? And y’all wonder why shyt never changes

Y’all the same ones hollering about reparations and what we’re owed.....

Money for HBCUs is a likely place to start if reparations ever happens....it will be government programs for education and opportunities.....

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
TV exposure doesn’t mean shyt in today’s college football. Carson Wentz didn’t have TV exposure but scouts all knew who he was.

Trey Lance didn’t have TV exposure but is the 4th rated QB in this years draft.

not to mention HBCU’s play on TV now.

At the end of the day, going to a PWI doesn’t guarantee you an NFL job. The players make the school not the other way around.

Yeah you can go to a bumfukk school and make it to the league, but would you tell your son to be a star at a no name school or be that dude at Bama/Clemson?

Not too mention, these HBCU'S have poor weight rooms and dorms. Why would a frail QB prospect(like Lamar Jackson in HS) go to Grambling, when they don't have the adequate weight room to put on mass?