Denzel Washington Was Worried About Getting Killed Filming ‘Malcolm X’

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
Actor Denzel Washington starred as the titular character Malcolm X in Spike Lee’s critically acclaimed biopic. The movie was one of the most important features in Washington’s career, and it also might’ve been one of the most intimidating

Washington and Lee didn’t have the typical worries filming Malcolm X like underperforming or bad reviews. Instead, doing the feature would have them scared for their lives.

Washington was already familiar with Malcolm X prior to shooting the 1992 picture. He was cast as the iconic figure in the play When the Chickens Come Home to Roost. Up until that point, although Washington knew of Malcolm, his knowledge was very limited.

“I didn’t have a view of Malcolm then,” Washington once told The New York Times.

After doing a little more research on Malcolm, Washington realized the weight of the role he was playing.

“I remember feeling two ways: Like this was heavy, mean stuff and also like this was helping me get some things off my chest,” he said. “There was something invigorating about being able to say things you felt. I remember thinking what it must have felt like to be so free to be able to say anything. It must have made for tension.

It was a role that might’ve gotten heavier for The Equalizer star when he had to play Malcolm on the big screen. Not only due to the pressure of playing Malcolm, but due to the controversies the movie touched on.

”We didn’t know what was going to happen. Spike was bringing up stuff that was touchy — I mean, really touchy — and with lots of different people, so you never knew where it was going to come from,” Washington once told Entertainment Weekly.

Speaking to Time Out, Washington asserted that there was a point where he and Lee were genuinely concerned for their safety.

“S***, we were worrying about getting killed. You’re talking about politics, we were trying to stay alive,” he said

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Up until that point, although Washington knew of Malcolm, his knowledge was very limited.

“I didn’t have a view of Malcolm then,” Washington once told The New York Times.

Wow.