The Stanley Kubrick movie Denzel Washington turned down

KingsOfKings

𝔻𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕄𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥
Daps

Having been one of the most acclaimed and respected actors in the business for over 30 years – not to mention one of its most reliably popular and bankable stars – Denzel Washington has spent a long time in the position of being able to pick and choose his roles.

Of course, that wasn’t the case when he was first making his way in the industry, but even as a younger man, he was confident enough in his own abilities to decline the opportunity to work with a legendary director. There aren’t many performers who’d reject the notion of collaborating with Stanley Kubrick, but Washington was one of the rare few

Medical drama St. Elsewhere marked his first major part on screen and stage, with Washington appearing in 116 episodes over six years between 1982 and 1988 while notching several feature film credits in the meantime. In only his fifth-ever movie, his career was elevated to the next level when Cry Freedom saw him shortlisted for ‘Best Supporting Actor’ at the Academy Awards.

Director Richard Attenborough’s apartheid story was released a matter of months after Kubrick’s war epic Full Metal Jacket, which could have starred Washington had the filmmaker been more willing to allow prospective cast members to read the script before deciding whether or not they wanted to sign on

He was being eyed for the part of Eightball that was eventually played by Dorian Harewood. However, even though he was far from being a cemented A-lister at the time Full Metal Jacket was gearing up to enter production, Washington couldn’t in all good conscience agree to board the production without having any idea of what his character entailed.

As he explained to GQ when reflecting on the high-profile parts he turned down, Washington admitted he had his eyes on both Full Metal Jacket and Platoon. “They were like, ‘Well, Kubrick doesn’t send out his scripts,'” he said. “I was like, ‘Well, then what do you want me to do?'”

Having no clue about what would be required of him turned out to be a dealbreaker for Washington, who ended up missing out on the chance to work with Kubrick due to the director’s hesitance in playing his hand too early. The 2001: A Space Odyssey architect was every bit as secretive as he was meticulous when developing his projects, and seeing as he wasn’t a hugely known quantity at the time, Washington was hardly in a position to issue an ultimatum.

These days, the best and brightest auteurs in the industry would be falling over themselves to send the two-time Oscar-winning icon their scripts as soon as possible in the hopes of having him star. Still, it goes without saying that Kubrick wasn’t one for bending to the demands of his actors.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Mannnnn him and Morgan would have murk that movie :wow: , and with a prime Spacey too :banderas:
I agree, but ultimately he didn't really miss out as Se7en was completely overshadowed by The Usual Suspects. I still don't understand why TUS was so hyped over Se7en back then.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
I agree, but ultimately he didn't really miss out as Se7en was completely overshadowed by The Usual Suspects. I still don't understand why TUS was so hyped over Se7en back then.

Dude I never understood the hype of that movie. Like the whole flick felt like a cac version of Harlem Nights. Meaning the battle of egos and actors trying to one up each other. The whole flick felt forced and corny as all hell.

Meanwhile, Se7en just hits man....

• The backdrop intro leading to a powerful opening with the NIN remix :banderas:
  • The dark undertones throughout the movie and the scenery being moody as hell
  • The layers of the murders
  • The fact that Kevin Spacey wasn't even credited in the movie
  • The ending where Brad Pitt ended up being the 7th sin (he lost his life behind bars, while ending a life)
So many layers to the movie versus..."Oh...Keizer Soze is scary" :francis:

swampfox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude I never understood the hype of that movie. Like the whole flick felt like a cac version of Harlem Nights. Meaning the battle of egos and actors trying to one up each other. The whole flick felt forced and corny as all hell.

• The backdrop intro leading to a powerful opening with the NIN remix :banderas:
  • The ending where Brad Pitt ended up being the 7th sin (he lost his life behind bars, while ending a life)
Both movies are classics. I find myself watching Usual Suspects more. I'm not sure if Hollywood would have kept Morgan Freeman if Denzel decided to play the Pitt role. In 1995, I dont see that happening, and if not who? Anthony Hopkins? Sutherland? Connery?

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
I'm not sure if Hollywood would have kept Morgan Freeman if Denzel decided to play the Pitt role. In 1995, I dont see that happening, and if not who? Anthony Hopkins? Sutherland? Connery?
:yeshrug: I know it's a different movie but Bad Boys had Martin and Will.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
It was for the better.

Why be black and go through some honkyweird hollyweirdo Hollywood hazing. From some whites.
When they have some initiation to just get a script.

Denzel made the right choice.
Plus was talented enough.
to carry the film.
along with Cast, director and crew.

Art Barr

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

I watched Se7en in theaters in the 90s and it had husbands literally :picard:. A lot of people watched it, who wouldn't normally watch a horror movie and ended up being freaked out over their movie going experience. The vibe of it inspired the aesthetic of so many movies and TV shows over the years. The Usual Suspect was a classic Hollywood crime thriller. 30 years later and Se7en has significantly more mindshare over The Usual Suspects, despite the Oscars it won.

swampfox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:yeshrug: I know it's a different movie but Bad Boys had Martin and Will.
Good analysis, but Martin and Will's demographic was different than Denzel's at the time. Besides I dont think Denzel has shared Lead Actor Credits with a Black Brother since the Mighty Quinn, and that was in 89'