Disney’s new movie ‘Strange World’ features their first-ever openly gay teenage character. And he’s black.

Bmezy

All Star
Daps
I find it weird that the marketing is surrounded around the tokenism of ‘first gay character’ when nothing in the trailer/clips show anything that suggest that identity issues is some sort of major plot point. It seems so overblown. Now that I think about it, it does t seem like Disney is pushing this narrative, but the media/blogs themselves.. which stirs the pot and attracts detractors tbh.. there’s not a lot of promotion/push from the studios in general.

Anyways I’ll jus skip out on this one with the kids and wait for Avatar 2
They enjoyed BP2 enough
I’m gonna catch Bones and All this weeknd with my parents.

QBN

All Star
Daps
Planed on seeing this with the kids this evening. May you please explain the “gay stuff” in more detail? Is the dude just effeminate and it’s hinted at..or is it more direct? Thanks.
Haven't seen it, just did a quick Google search...I doubt they would show intense same-sex kissing/intimacy in a kid's movie. Here's one description from a Yahoo article:

"In the film, Ethan is already accepted and loved for who he is in ways that we are forced to consider remarkable: Ethan likes one of his (male) friends, and his friend likes him back. An early scene shows Ethan flustered as his crush flirts with him; Searcher shows up and tries to wingman for his son. Everyone is rooting for Ethan and this nice young fella to get together, including his otherwise stubborn grandpa. "

‘Strange World’ Is Disney’s First Animated Movie With a Gay Lead. Why Is It Being Buried?

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas
it would be messed up if the gay aspect was a small mention in movie and the excs use the backlash to say black(male) cartoon characters dont market well :francis:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Haven't seen it, just did a quick Google search...I doubt they would show intense same-sex kissing/intimacy in a kid's movie. Here's one description from a Yahoo article:

"In the film, Ethan is already accepted and loved for who he is in ways that we are forced to consider remarkable: Ethan likes one of his (male) friends, and his friend likes him back. An early scene shows Ethan flustered as his crush flirts with him; Searcher shows up and tries to wingman for his son. Everyone is rooting for Ethan and this nice young fella to get together, including his otherwise stubborn grandpa. "

‘Strange World’ Is Disney’s First Animated Movie With a Gay Lead. Why Is It Being Buried?
:patrice:

Nah, we’re good…

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
Anyone who believes this is “box ticking” are either being deliberately disingenuous or are complete morons.

I had a “discussion” on here recently about how commercials seem to exclusively use interracial couples to market their product, mainly black women/white men followed by black men/white women.

Some guy who claimed to work in marketing said it was an easy way to reach every demographic by killing two birds with one stones. HUH??? How does that make sense when interracial relationships ARE THE MINORITY.

And the largest interracial group are white men/Asian women and yet we RARELY see that combination in commercials. They almost refuse to show black heterosexual couples.

Most of the time, they perpetuate the single black mother image. Whilst it’s true we have a high number of children born OOW, it doesn’t mean the father is not in their lives.

Don’t let these clowns fool or manipulate you. This is all insidious and not about “reaching” as many demographics as possible.

I don’t have any issue with anyone’s sexuality, what I do have an issue with is the slick way in which black men are being used to be the face of the LGBTQ, despite it being institutionally racist.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Planed on seeing this with the kids this evening. May you please explain the “gay stuff” in more detail? Is the dude just effeminate and it’s hinted at..or is it more direct? Thanks.
there it is. just what i was asking about. do you mind elaborating?

They do it maybe less than ten minutes of the movie, almost like they want to get it out the way and make a quota. The son’s friends pull up and he gets all giddy about a dude he likes that’s with them, basically acts like a woman that has a crush. Then the kid’s dad comes up like “so this is the guy you’re always talking about”. Then little subtle dialogue happens here and there, but it’s never acknowledged again until the movie is almost over where the son and his now bf are hugged up together after staying in Strange World. None of that came off natural at all.

QBN

All Star
Daps
Anyone who believes this is “box ticking” are either being deliberately disingenuous or are complete morons.

I had a “discussion” on here recently about how commercials seem to exclusively use interracial couples to market their product, mainly black women/white men followed by black men/white women.

Some guy who claimed to work in marketing said it was an easy way to reach every demographic by killing two birds with one stones. HUH??? How does that make sense when interracial relationships ARE THE MINORITY.

And the largest interracial group are white men/Asian women and yet we RARELY see that combination in commercials. They almost refuse to show black heterosexual couples.

Most of the time, they perpetuate the single black mother image. Whilst it’s true we have a high number of children born OOW, it doesn’t mean the father is not in their lives.

Don’t let these clowns fool or manipulate you. This is all insidious and not about “reaching” as many demographics as possible.

I don’t have any issue with anyone’s sexuality, what I do have an issue with is the slick way in which black men are being used to be the face of the LGBTQ, despite it being institutionally racist.
Yeah I never bought that "box ticking argument". If that was the case, for interracial relationships they would use Black man/White woman couples frequently too. But they don't because that offends a wide segment of White male society. Effeminize and emasculate the image of the Black male while encouraging Black women (one of the most "race loyal" groups) to date White and non-Black men.

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
Yeah I never bought that "box ticking argument". If that was the case, for interracial relationships they would use Black man/White woman couples frequently too. But they don't because that offends a wide segment of White male society. Effeminize and emasculate the image of the Black male while encouraging Black women (one of the most "race loyal" groups) to date White and non-Black men.
And I’ve got facts to back this. Remember the cheerios commercial that had a biracial girl with a black dad and white mother?

I have never seen ANY huge backlash like this for any other interracial pairing. Anyone who tries to say black men are “fragile” about ‘divestors’ are lying.

At worst, we clown wenches when they date/marry some ugly goofy looking CAC but we don’t threaten their lives. White men disown white girls, even if they’re family, if they find out they even dated a Breh at one point.

They see it as genetic annihilation: the replacement theory. Our existence is seen as a threat.

QBN

All Star
Daps
And I’ve got facts to back this. Remember the cheerios commercial that had a biracial girl with a black dad and white mother?

I have never seen ANY huge backlash like this for any other interracial pairing. Anyone who tries to say black men are “fragile” about ‘divestors’ are lying.

At worst, we clown wenches when they date/marry some ugly goofy looking CAC but we don’t threaten their lives. White men disown white girls, even if they’re family, if they find out they even dated a Breh at one point.

They see it as genetic annihilation: the replacement theory. Our existence is seen as a threat.

Indeed. Racist White/non-Black men have an extreme and dangerous obsession with women who date outside their group. Pawging brehs, do you...just be careful :ufdup:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I find it weird that the marketing is surrounded around the tokenism of ‘first gay character’ when nothing in the trailer/clips show anything that suggest that identity issues is some sort of major plot point. It seems so overblown. Now that I think about it, it does t seem like Disney is pushing this narrative, but the media/blogs themselves.. which stirs the pot and attracts detractors tbh.. there’s not a lot of promotion/push from the studios in general.

They enjoyed BP2 enough
I’m gonna catch Bones and All this weeknd with my parents

Exactly. You could literally cut out two scenes in the movie where the gay stuff is played up and you wouldn’t even notice. It’s such a minuscule portion of the movie that it makes no sense that THAT is what’s getting played up. The real theme of the movie is the general father/son dynamic spanning three generations. THAT’S what the commercials/trailers should’ve focused on.

Just to add, the actually animation is incredible.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
They enjoyed BP2 enough
I’m gonna catch Bones and All this weeknd with my parents.

Bedwench cannibalism :mjgrin:

And the movie flopping is good. Cacs need to stop trying to make Black people the face of the alphabet agenda just because they don't want to be it. Even though it would make more sense since cacs are still ~75% of the population

And they're pushing that same agenda in (yet another) Gabrielle Union movie that released this month with an alphabet son. They keep trying to emasculate Black men and anti-Black male Black women and cacs have aligned interests in pushing that garbage.