Do Any Of You Like The Impact Grand Championship Idea? (Unique For American Wrestling)

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Well thats the reason most territories got rid of them in the first place, its a needless convention.
I just don't think in a post-kayfabe era, rounds, scoring, or hypber technical pro wrestling is needed. Seems more like a mark type shyt, than something people want.
Daniel Bryan, the most "hyper-technical" wrestler in the US, is the most over wrestler in the 10's, so maybe you're wrong?
Seems far better to me to fix their cruiserweight division, maybe call it light heavy, than to have a seperate "style" title.

Just my opinion though.
Weight classes in wrestling are dead. Completely dead. Wrestlers are smaller now, and some of the most over guys in the world are obviously "light-heavyweights" or "cruiserweights". To have some arbitrarily labeled as LHW's and others not is absurd.

The Cruiserweight Classic is a great example of this. Guys like Kota and Cedric are bigger than guys like Zayn or AJ yet they're being classified in a weight class lower :heh:

THAT doesn't belong in a post-kayfabe era, as it's a complete slap in the face of reality.

TNA got ahead of the game and fixed that 14 years ago, and no one should be going back to it.

A fake contest still having fake winners just in one other way just isn't.

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Daniel Bryan, the most "hyper-technical" wrestler in the US, is the most over wrestler in the 10's, so maybe you're wrong?
Daniel Bryan wasn't over because he was a hyper technical wrestler.
he was over because he connected with the audience and WWE backed themselves unknowningly into a perfect underdog prevailing over the power structure angle.

This want for technical shyt is a subset of the bigger wrestling audience, appealing to it is a dead end imho.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Daniel Bryan wasn't over because he was a hyper technical wrestler.
he was over because he connected with the audience and WWE backed themselves unknowningly into a perfect underdog prevailing over the power structure angle.

This want for technical shyt is a subset of the bigger wrestling audience, appealing to it is a dead end imho.
But he IS the "hyper-technical" wrestler, and he DID get more over than anyone in a decade. You can't pick and choose. You can't say no one wants that style of wrestling and then say that it had nothing to do with the guy that was the best at it and based everything he did in and out of the ring around it.

People aren't tuning in for any particular style of entertainment, they just want to be entertained, and if it's good, they'll rock with it.

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
Im not a fan of 'style' or gimmick championships, personally. Even during the height of the X-Division and hardcore division, those kind of titles never made sense to me.

'If you wanna be eligible for this championship, you have to do flips in the match before you win!'

Gimmick matches I understand...but gimmick titles is when wrestling jumped the shark. Nobody really cares about the 'you're the best guy who flips' championship. People just wanna know who can pin the most shoulders to the mat and win. That's it. I'm sorry. Its just facts.

Rounds and judges is not a bad idea in and of itself but its a bad idea if you're gonna only do it for one championship. Why does scorecards and rounds matter for one match on the card but not all the other matches on the card? Its the same sport, theyre all wrestling. So it seems to just be another gimmick that weakens the credibility of the whole show. Wrestling booker's and fans are losing the plot in my opinion. But that's just my thoughts

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
But he IS the "hyper-technical" wrestler, and he DID get more over than anyone in a decade. You can't pick and choose. You can't say no one wants that style of wrestling and then say that it had nothing to do with the guy that was the best at it and based everything he did in and out of the ring around it.

People aren't tuning in for any particular style of entertainment, they just want to be entertained, and if it's good, they'll rock with it.

He got over in the WWE, over in the business all together in a decade? No.
I can easily pick and choose what I do and don't like. He didn't get over for his style, he got over on personality and a good storyline.
I can easily say no one wants that wrestling, know how, wrestling audience has been dying over the last 10 years and Bryan and RoH haven't enlarged it.
See simple as that.

I won't go that route for real though, just voicing my opinion.
Hyper-technical stuff is a mark fanwank, that doesn't have any real value if the wrestler can connect with the audience and get them to buy in, watch, and pay money. Period.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I like the idea of doing something new.
That said I hate the idea of rounds in pro-wrestling. Its fukking wrestling, not MMA, and since we know its pre-determined, the idea of scoring has no fukking weight at all to me.
Glad they are retiring Kotm/legend/tv title and getting something than can be competed on more during the show, so there are fewer HW title changes.
Pro Wrestling in Europe did it for decades. MMA especially Pancrase and PRIDE in Japan spun off from Pro Wrestling. So, I don't know how that holds weight.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Im not a fan of 'style' or gimmick championships, personally. Even during the height of the X-Division and hardcore division, those kind of titles never made sense to me.

'If you wanna be eligible for this championship, you have to do flips in the match before you win!'
That was never a prerequisite for the X-Division. Samoa Joe wasn't flipping all over the place in his matches and neither were other X-Division champs like Austin Aries, Doug Williams, Trevor Lee, Pete Williams or even Kenny King. And while Jay Lethal is agile I don't consider him one of those constant flippity high spot dudes either.

Bonefan32

Superstar
Daps
Sounds interesting - they're going out of their way to do something different. Kudos. :ehh:

Just keep the belt the fukk off Jeff Jarrett :ufdup:

03thestroke_480x480.jpg

:blessed:

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
That was never a prerequisite for the X-Division. Samoa Joe wasn't flipping all over the place in his matches and neither were other X-Division champs like Austin Aries, Doug Williams, Trevor Lee, Pete Williams or even Kenny King. And while Jay Lethal is agile I don't consider him one of those constant flippity high spot dudes either.
I agree it wasn't technically a prerequisite, but the division's marketing implied it was associated with a certain style of wrestling - 'Its not about weight limits, it about no limits' meant they were expected to wrestle a certain way...whatever 'way' that was.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Pro Wrestling in Europe did it for decades. MMA especially Pancrase and PRIDE in Japan spun off from Pro Wrestling. So, I don't know how that holds weight.
Thats cool but i'm speaking from an American, specifically a southern wrestling, pov.
what does specific mma organizatiosn being spun off from wrestling have to do with anything I've said?

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
I would only fukk with that if it those matches were done shoot style ie like in UWF