Do Yall Ever Start On A Beat, Get Tired Of It Then Start A New One?

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Or is it just me? Maybe it because my attention be everywhere or something I dont know. Granted Im not good yet (or at least as good as I want to be), but I got at least 10 unfinished beats (some are just melodies/chord progressions and shyt). Maybe its because Im a rookeh? Sometime I wont get tired of the beat, Ill just work on a new one after a bit. Anybody else do this?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This is why a lot of producers work on getting their fastest fluid work flow down. Your creativity might give you a limited time to capture what's in your head before you exhaust it. Develop a smooth workflow to beat the clock.

Alternatively revisit the old beats later to see if they are worth finishing, listen to them with a fresh ear. You can also double back on old ideas like that when you have a beat block so instead of coming up with new shyt. I've been going into the archives and mixing and finishing up old ideas when I'm not getting new inspiration.

Don Juan

Pro
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
Gotta up your output. There's no reason for me to leave one unfinished. I spend less than ten minutes on beats at this point. That's getting the melodies and drums laid down.

The rest is structuring and mixing.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
It’s good to do because you listen to the beat too long or work too hard you could end up hating it.

This is what I feel about most of my beats. Love it one time and then I hate them forever :scust:

Theres some that I made that still amaze to this day like "damn what zone was I in" lol but yea ear fatigue is a thing for sure.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
I need to get hit with a wave of motivation before I start working on something new, so I usually start by listening to a bunch of shyt to look for samples, putting anything I want to use on the side for later.

Once motivation strikes I'll ride that wave to start up like 4-10 beats. Mostly just going into the sample stash and chopping something up, then moving on to the next one once I get bored. I'll keep doing that until I feel like one is worth finishing and then I'll work on tweaking the rest of the beats and choosing more samples in the low motivation times.

At any given time I'll have like 20 beats sitting half done that will probably be some fire when I actually get around to finishing them.

No matter what I still end up hating my shyt by the time I'm done though:yeshrug:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Sometimes I like the sample but i cant get anything out with the chops at that time. I have others i chop something then save if it for later.
i have a bunch of projects i revisit weeks later and whatever had me blocked before is gone

illwittdeez

aka Breh Wyatt
Daps
Reppin
Da Yo 330, Ohio
Yes, all the time.

That's why I suggest you create an "Unfinished" folder.

I go back to my "Unfinished" folder every couple months and find beats that I end up finishing and am grateful I didn't just scap that project session.
Best statement of all time.

• Dap
Reactions: Aje

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
i've had piano and guitar riffs stuck in my head since i wrote them 10-15 years ago.. its kind of weird getting your own song stuck in your head.

anybody want to share something?