Do you think it's okay for black men to lack empathy for other black men?

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
It's hard to feel empathy or sympathy for those who dehumanize themselves. Hw many time have we heard someone refer to themself as a savage, demon, goon, monster, thug, real nikka? The only time they want to be humanized is when facing consequences for the actions they chose.
Do all black men do the above? Because I don't know any that do.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not saying accepting it. I'm saying do you think it's right? Since we as men tend to have codes of honor should we not be our brothers keeper? Or should we just be like, "men don't get sympathy from the world so why should I have any?"

Discuss.:jbhmm:
Depends on the situation if you cannot provide context I cannot answer specifically. :hubie:

number21

Strive for rulership not equality, black man.
Daps
Reppin
North Miami
To continue from my other post..I dont think we will reach the point where a good amount of black men has that total understanding or high enough understanding of how we need be there for each other.
As, having that understanding will get us to the point where we can create something like a sound culture and way of living but I dont see that until the truly final days of this society.

Last edited:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The hard thing about being a black man is we know the bs on both sides.
We know brothers that do stupid shyt and we know cops and the system that fukk us all over.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
No, it's definitely not okay.

That is a behavior that is perpetuated by the worse racist ideas in our society.

It's funny that I'm seeing this thread. My breh is going through some shyt and I literally JUST text him, "Breh, I love you. I guarantee we are going to get through the trials and tribulations that we are going through. Stay strong."

When I see other black men in the street and they look like they are going through it...I try to prepare myself for a potential hostility that comes from it and remember not to reciprocate that hostility if I'm in a healthy emotional state.

I hate when I get into conflict with another breh and we both are on some rah rah shyt. Afterwards, after the adrenaline rush and initial ego spike, I feel remorseful.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Maybe a little bit but ultimately the alternative point is that someone should be thinking in a certain way, yes?
No. Not should. But could. You see, automatic apathy is not a choice, if it's your SOP. If one could consider another person, who looks like them and may have the same plight as them and think "Is this person suffering like I suffered?" "Would I be able to impart a kind word?" "Maybe a simple head nod of acknowledgement." Simple things are sometimes a it takes.

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
No. Not should. But could. You see, automatic apathy is not a choice. If one could consider another person, who looks like them and may have the same plight as them and think "Is this person suffering like I suffered?" "Would I be able to impart a kind word?" "Maybe a simple head nod of acknowledgement." Simple things are sometimes a it takes.

I think the question was worded strangely, then.

Obviously we agree that empathy is morally superior to apathy for most situations.

But the question essentially was, "Is apathy okay..." And the answer is yeah, it's fine.

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
Not really. Are the 5 black men not black men? You have people who don't have empathy for people they associate with. So it's not different at all.

I think so.

One is a question of ideology. The other is a question of caring about people whose lives you personally have a stake in.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Related to the people you associate with. Let's say the five black males you associate with the most.
Just depends on what they might have done I stop empathizing when someone gets every chance in the world.