Does Ice Cube Rank Higher Than Snoop Dogg In hip hop history in yall opinion?

darryl

Superstar
Daps
I've been wondering this. Like mainstream wise, it seems like snoop is the west coast king. And usually in top ten lists he ranks higher than cube. Do y'all agree with that tho?

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
i could see an argument for either of them personally. cube has more classic albums but snoop has been more musically relevant post-90s. both titanic figures in hip hop history. i think it mostly is just preference.

although i think pac is usually the highest ranked west coast artist on these lists.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
Snoop’s image and cross over appeal are much greater. You ask some 3 years old somewhere who is who and they’ll know Snoop Dogg.

But Cube’s run as an actual artist has been forgotten over time. Straight Outta Compton, which he wrote a lot of to Amerikka’s Most with the Bomb Squad. He dropped Kill at Will which had the now industry standard “Jackin for Beats” track, then Sir Jinx laced him with Death Certificate, then he finally crossed over with the Predator. That man was a monster.

Daps
Honestly I'd said they're tied for different reasons. Cube made the hip-hop equivalent to Thriller, Friday. Like bro, that movie has become a staple of not just hip-hop but black culture PERIOD. The Wash don't hold a candle to Next/Friday After Next. But Snoop played the game smart, left all the tired gangsta ish alone and started putting out smooth shyt when he started working with Pharrell.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly I'd said they're tied for different reasons. Cube made the hip-hop equivalent to Thriller, Friday. Like bro, that movie has become a staple of not just hip-hop but black culture PERIOD. The Wash don't hold a candle to Next/Friday After Next. But Snoop played the game smart, left all the tired gangsta ish alone and started putting out smooth shyt when he started working with Pharrell.
I have to disagree. Friday is a cult classic. Thriller was making money when it first hit stores

O Fenômeno

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jerz/Seattle
For me it's SNOOP DOGG.

He's very likely the most iconic rapper ever.

He still releases music ..and it's quality.

"Livin my Best Life" was pretty high and got wide airplay across different demographics.

Also "Young Wild and Free" still gets radio play.

Juggalo Fred

Insane Clown Posse fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
Both have songs with ICP so I have no bias here, really it's a tough call

Doggystyle is better than any album Cubes ever made but cube has several albums (incuding nwa and wc) better than the rest of snoops albums

I'll have to take Cube overall but it's close