Doggystyle Is A Better Album & Debut Than illmatic

Tell The Truth, which one are you feeling more?

• Doggystyle

• illmstic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Two of my favorite albums of all time but I prefer Illmatic. It's my second favorite album of all time (after Cuban Linx) but Doggystyle is right up there for me. I don't see why some of the usual trolling b*stards ( @Gravity, @bigbadbossup2012...) choose to shyt on one album to prop up the other. They're both 2 of Hip Hop's seminal albums.

Both debut solos :wow:

Even tho I prefer Illmatic, there's times that I can play Doggystyle for like a week straight. I was listening to For My nikkaz & bytches for a hour straight in the gym last week. That fukking song gets me hype EVERY single time.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Its global vs. Local

And dont get it twisted, I love illmatic but it's really not close. Insecure NY heads will try to tell you different but its reach was nowhere near Doggystyle
This.

I’m a huge Nas fan. But the hype of Snoop.... and then the album fukking lived up to the hype. Snoop was everywhere it seemed

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Any knowledgeable Hip Hop fan knows this but does that make Doggystyle a better album than Illmatic?
:patrice: It comes down to your personal preference at the end of the day. Such a subjective matter. For me... and I’m surprised at my answer.. I feel that Doggystyle slightly edges for the win. Both are great for different reasons.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
I picked Doggystyle but all this outrageous Illmatic slander is finna make me switch my vote.

This thread is reminding me of how it was when I was growing up in the Midwest, I was always the kid that could listen to Above the Law, then 8ball and G, and then pop in some Gangstarr.

Basically I didn’t care what region it was from as long as it was DOPE, which put me at odds with some of my homies who only listened to West Coast and South hip hop.

Last edited:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
How is that making your point? Him being a "young, ignorant, high school dropout with limited life experience" has nothing to do with depth. People with college degrees with a wealth of life experience can still be the most shallow. The "young, ignorant, high school dropout with limited life experience" has professors writing books about Illmatic.

Depth in the context that we're using it means to speak/rap with wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and insight. How can you ask what does ignorance have to do with depth? You cant speak in depth when you don't know what you're talking about. There's a reason that you dodged my question about when Nas explained why he was an atheist on illmatic. He did no such thing. He had a line or 2 about not believing in God and none of the shyt was deep. At that point in nas's life I doubt that he had did any research on the various religions and what it even meant to believe in God. As you said yourself, he wrote the album between 17-20 meaning he had little life experience. He didn't believe in God at that point based on his own ignorance and lack of understanding.

I picked Doggystyle but all this outrageous Illmatic slander is finna make me switch my vote.
Nas cocsuckers in a nutshell. It's not about the quality of the albums it's about the politics.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Swear some posters in this thread make me hate Doggystyle and I love that album :russ:

You can say Doggystyle is a better that's fine. But keep it hundred about it you don't have to downplay Illmatic because of it
The same way I discard illmatic in this thread is the same way it was discarded at retail in real time compared to the blockbuster known as Doggystyle.

It's as bad as comparing Blank Man to Black Panther.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I tried to let it slide but fukk it. All you cali nikkas talkin shyt about NY dudes clinging on.

I understand you all wanna cling to your 1 of barely 10-12 classics in 40yrs of hiphop existence.

Snoop- 1 classic, the rest are forgettable trash or average.
Pac- 3 classics
Dre- 1 classic
Cube- Dikk on East on his first release. 2 classics
NWA- 1
Kendrick- 1
Dogg Pound- 1
Xhibit- 1

Hates me to do this since I got 2 Cali MC’s in my top 5, but lets not go to far, you’re not fukkin with NYC as a whole.
Hilarious inaccurate post. Really exposes you actually

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Low Quality Posting
listen both are incredible projects

but doggystyle is like the first bad boys film ( a fun action movie with top of the line producation and two young stars at the top of there game snoop and dr. dre )

(I know in real life Daz and Warren did a lot of the background work for the album but that was not in the marketing or promotion of the album)

an illmattic is like requiem of a dream its a beautiful and thoughtful manifestation of the futile struggle of being a smart black kid in giuliani new york

its just what story speaks to you more :yeshrug:
Post is bullshyt. Continues the false narrative that illmatic was special. It was not.
Beats average, flows average, hooks average or non existent. Nas rambling was pretty good but it lacked direction or creativity

Last edited:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Two of my favorite albums of all time but I prefer Illmatic. It's my second favorite album of all time (after Cuban Linx) but Doggystyle is right up there for me. I don't see why some of the usual trolling b*stards ( @Gravity, @bigbadbossup2012...) choose to shyt on one album to prop up the other. They're both 2 of Hip Hop's seminal albums.

Both debut solos :wow:

Even tho I prefer Illmatic, there's times that I can play Doggystyle for like a week straight. I was listening to For My nikkaz & bytches for a hour straight in the gym last week. That fukking song gets me hype EVERY single time.
Nobodies trolling. Illmatic is a snooze fest.
There's plenty albums from the south and west that are better than Illmatic (and OB4CL) but will never get the credit because of East coast bias.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Any knowledgeable Hip Hop fan knows this but does that make Doggystyle a better album than Illmatic?
It's better based off production, flows, hooks etc.
The sales disparity shows how Doggystyle was a real time classic to the masses and how Illmatic has falsely been propped up as if it meant more than it actually did.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps

This thread is reminding me of how it was when I was growing up in the Midwest, I was always the kid that could listen to Above the Law, then 8ball and G, and then pop in some Gangstarr.

Basically I didn’t care what region it was from as long as it was DOPE, which put me at odds with some of my homies who only listened to West Coast and South hip hop.
You sound ridiculous, changing your vote because of all this pure unadulterated truth me and others are spewing about Illmatic.
It's really not that great. It's disrespectful to compare such mediocrity to the perfection of Doggystyle.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I'm treating illmatic like hip hop fans treated it at retail, in real life, in real time.

:mjlol:

This preposterous logic, Illmatic got 5 mics on release and had like like 97% positive reviews. What hip hop fans were calling Illmatic average my guy