DoorDash warns customers that orders without a tip may take longer to deliver.

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps

The food delivery service added a pop-up disclaimer in its app for some customers who choose not to tip their delivery driver.​

If you're not willing to fork over some extra cash for your DoorDash delivery driver, you could be left waiting longer for that order.

The food delivery service added a pop-up disclaimer in its app for some customers who choose not to tip their delivery driver.

“Orders with no tip might take longer to get delivered – are you sure you want to continue?” the warning reads.

IMG_5671-1.png

DoorDash delivery drivers, or Dashers, have the option to choose what orders they pick up. And since they receive 100% of the added tip, drivers will likely prioritize more profitable orders.

The prompt said orders without a tip take longer to be accepted by Dashers, resulting in slower deliveries.

“While the vast majority of customers do leave a tip, offers that don’t include a tip can be seen as less desirable – this impacts our entire community, leading to longer wait times for customers, orders sitting longer at merchants, and less value for Dashers,” a DoorDash spokesperson told NBC.

The company says it is currently testing the disclaimer in some regions and does not appear for all users. The test aims to ensure Dashers, customers and merchants are pleased with their experience using the app, the spokesperson added.

DoorDash said it plans to analyze the results and feedback from the test before making a decision on rolling it out nationwide.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
These delivery apps are a major ripoff. The restaurants charge more than they would if it wasn't on the app, the fees the apps add on are ridiculous, and to top it all off you "have" to pay the driver delivering your food.

This kind of stuff should be an incentive to cook your own food or at least pick up your food.

ThrobbingHood

Daps
blame tip culture apologists
I had to explain to a ‘relative’ that tipping should be done out of benevolence, and not done as an obligatory gesture.

McDonalds workers aren’t going to start working slower or below standard because they’re upset with what they’re getting paid. They would get fired if they did. So it shouldn’t be that way to us customers.

If you provide a good service, I will tip but that’s out of choice, not expectation.
These delivery apps are a major ripoff. The restaurants charge more than they would if it wasn't on the app, the fees the apps add on are ridiculous, and to top it all off you "have" to pay the driver delivering your food.

This kind of stuff should be an incentive to cook your own food or at least pick up your food.
Absolutely. I stopped using these services years ago for the exact reasons you gave.

ThrobbingHood

Daps
Tip culture sucks but unfortunately until delivery drivers and other food service workers get a living wage, it's much preferable if you tipped. Speaking as someone who drove for DoorDash and Postmates.
I hear you but that’s what they need to take it up with their employers (I don’t know if they have). Yes, it is preferable but it should always depend on the service, not as an expectation or entitlement.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i don't like tip culture. but if you don't want to tip, don't order delivery, and don't go to sitdown restaurants :yeshrug: that's how you avoid it. anyone who doesn't tip a delivery driver is a scumbag

The problem with this attitude is that no one keeps the same energy for other service positions that are low paid. Retail employees in particular perform a similar service but are not tipped and not expected to be tipped.

The only reason people care about tips is because of the "poverty" level wages servers and delivery drivers apparently get, but its the same across many other places and people don't care.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The problem with this attitude is that no one keeps the same energy for other service positions that are low paid. Retail employees in particular perform a similar service but are not tipped and not expected to be tipped.
retail workers arent putting miles on their car and buying gas to deliver to you. they're ringing you up at a cash register

if you don't wanna tip a delivery driver, you should pick it up yourself :yeshrug:if you dont wanna tip a waitress, just order it to go

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I hear you but that’s what they need to take it up with their employers (I don’t know if they have). Yes, it is preferable but it should always depend on the service, not as an expectation or entitlement.
We're independent contractors so no direct boss to take it up to. The only way I could imagine a substantial wage increase is through a mass strike.

Not every delivery driver is going to give their 100% though so it's expected that some might not give the most quality service

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Funny they announce this now since "no tip, no trip" been going on for some time. Even since two years ago which was around the time I stopped messing with the delivery apps since they were getting unprofitable and oversaturated in my area. But them no tip orders always been getting pushed back. Seen plenty of posts on reddit & other social media about drivers pulling up to places like McDonald's and chipotle and taking pics of all the orders just sitting there from likely non tippers. Drivers are contracted employees with no benefits plus the cost of driving so of course they gonna grab the best orders possible and not no non tippers. I prefer cooking at home or just picking it up myself cuz not just the tip but them apps tax that ass.