Earth Has Received a Message Laser-Beamed From 10 Million Miles Away

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
I feel like humanity should have some kind of say in the decision to perform outreach like this.

:unimpressed:
wtf-blink.gif

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
stephen hawking was against interstellar outreach like this also. he said it was dangerous. was he wrong?

In my opinion yes:birdman: and there are other folks like Hawkins who are top of the field that disagreed with him. Propagation is the #1 goal of our species. Resources and space are finite on this rock and we will have to eventually seed the stars to survive. This is early research and by the time it becomes feasible we both will have long turned to dust:unimpressed:.

Daps
In my opinion yes:birdman: and there are other folks like Hawkins who are top of the field that disagreed with him. Propagation is the #1 goal of our species. Resources and space are finite on this rock and we will have to eventually seed the stars to survive. This is early research and by the time it becomes feasible we both will have long turned to dust:unimpressed:.
but in that time, before we or our progeny turn to dust, these kind of broadcasts could invite visitors who treat us as the europeans did the indigenous inhabitants of the new world.