Albums Eminem - REVIVAL (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Listening to this album now

You can tell Eminem was trying to experiment with flows and rhyming over different beats but the thing is, he sounds like he's following trends with biting other rappers' flows
Kamikaze was way better.

Idk what em was trying with this, but it did not fukking work

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
Nah this was trash. Not gonna lie that Kehlani joint is a guilty pleasure of mines due to what he’s rapping about on it but this album really was supposed to be something else. Too much pop joints and terrible beats along with the corny punchlines.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
I'm a big Eminem fan but I'm not even gonna revisit this shyt

I remember giving it a 2/10

I've never given a cd lower than a 6 in my life

Kamikaze was dope
Music To Be Murdered By Was Vintage 8.7/10 to me

but I'm gonna pretend Revival was a unreleased comp cleaning out the garage or some shyt

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
I'm a big Eminem fan but I'm not even gonna revisit this shyt

I remember giving it a 2/10

I've never given a cd lower than a 6 in my life

Kamikaze was dope
Music To Be Murdered By Was Vintage 8.7/10 to me

but I'm gonna pretend Revival was a unreleased comp cleaning out the garage or some shyt

Only reason I'm listening to it is because I'm bored and there's nothing on tv right now.

Man, it's like Eminem forgot how to write rhymes and come up with metaphors and shyt. Like, what the fukk? :dwillhuh:

And Eminem picks the worst beats. He's at his best when he actually rhymes over beats he's produced alongside the beats Luis Resto co produces with him, The Bass Brothers beats and Dr. Dre beats.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
Only reason I'm listening to it is because I'm bored and there's nothing on tv right now.

Man, it's like Eminem forgot how to write rhymes and come up with metaphors and shyt. Like, what the fukk? :dwillhuh:

And Eminem picks the worst beats. He's at his best when he actually rhymes over beats he's produced alongside the beats Luis Resto co produces with him, The Bass Brothers beats and Dr. Dre beats.

I think he suffers from the same thing Nas, Canibus and them cats all go through
where they are picking weird shyt because they are good at rapping... doing benjamin franklin type experiments over beats ... almost like an obsession to ride whatever. Not in a terrible way but you can tell they arent chasing a formal sound sometimes ... its weird. You're right though, its like when he produces for himself he doesnt want to come super wack... or with Bass Brothers he rides the pocket, especially for that era. With Dre he doesnt want to let him down completely. He probably throws songs like Insane out because Dre laughs so he tries to shock him with that shyt, he rarely misses with the producers you listed. I couldnt fukk with Recovery much either, it was too high energy with little substance. Some of the songs werent hitting like that one Pink laced him with... she killed the hook and he rode the beat great but then stopped saying anything meaningful, to me at least. You can tell which songs he takes his time with and which ones he didnt. He's back on par now though

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
I think he suffers from the same thing Nas, Canibus and them cats all go through
where they are picking weird shyt because they are good at rapping... doing benjamin franklin type experiments over beats ... almost like an obsession to ride whatever. Not in a terrible way but you can tell they arent chasing a formal sound sometimes ... its weird. You're right though, its like when he produces for himself he doesnt want to come super wack... or with Bass Brothers he rides the pocket, especially for that era. With Dre he doesnt want to let him down completely. He probably throws songs like Insane out because Dre laughs so he tries to shock him with that shyt, he rarely misses with the producers you listed. I couldnt fukk with Recovery much either, it was too high energy with little substance. Some of the songs werent hitting like that one Pink laced him with... she killed the hook and he rode the beat great but then stopped saying anything meaningful, to me at least. You can tell which songs he takes his time with and which ones he didnt. He's back on par now though

I don't think Nas fits into that category; just my opinion.

Now, Canibus, I agree with.

But Eminem rhymes over some of the most bland, basic, and boring beats.

Recovery sounded so much like a Pop radio album. It just sounded like him trying to make the best tailor made album for Pop radio.

I remember when I first heard Recovery, I was like "what the fukk is this?!"

It's like he tries so hard with the super lyrical shyt that he forgets to construct an actual good or decent song.

And then his metaphors and punchlines are so damn wack, lol

On Revival, he was trying to do so much, he was trying to please lyricists (even though he was spitting some weak rhymes), he was trying to construct songs for the Pop music fans and then he was trying to rhyme like a lot popular rappers with a few trendy flows.

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
At least with Recovery, Eminem knew what he was doing. It had a clear vision, it just wasn't the best. This album? I still have no idea what it was supposed to be.

I'm just waiting for the day Eminem realizes this was the worst album he ever made. That feeling when he listens to it a few years from now, and he's like :mjgrin: when he hears "Walk on Water." Then "Chloraseptic" comes in and he's like :scust:, and by the time "Remind Me" hits, he'll be like :damn:trying to turn it off and never listen to it again.