ESPN 2/3 Ramirez-Ahmed for WBO SMW title/Ancajas-Gonzalez for IBF Super Flyweight title

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
ramirez-ahmed%20(3).jpg

the following from Bad Left hook - Ramirez vs Ahmed: Fight preview and matchup
Record: 36-0 (24 KO) ... Streak: W36 ... Last 5: 5-0 ... Last 10: 10-0 ... Stance: Southpaw ...Height/Reach: 6’2½” / 75” ... Age: 26

Zurdo Ramirez has emerged as arguably the top super middleweight in the world, though no matter what happens in this fight, the winner of the World Boxing Super Series 168-pound tournament will have their own argument.

Ramirez doesn’t have a particularly special skill set. He’s not notably fast, not a defensive wizard, not a huge puncher. But he’s solid all around and tall, and unlike many who give up their height, he often uses that to his advantage. Not always, mind you — Ramirez can still be drawn into a closer quarters fight — but he knows how to use his height and reach, and can do so effectively.

In his last outing, Ramirez got a strong test from a resilient, hard-headed Jesse Hart in September 2017. It was a closer fight than some expected, but Hart proved he’s a legitimate contender at super middleweight more than “exposing” Ramirez as being less than believed, or at least that’s how I took the fight.

Also, Ramirez has simply never been overwhelmingly impressive. He hasn’t knocked anyone out in his last six fights, which coincides with a step up in competition in 2015. But he did go four fights — against Derek Edwards, Gevorg Khatchikian, Arthur Abraham, and Max Bursak — without losing a round.

Ramirez is the clear favorite in this fight, but he’s also facing a bit of an unknown.

Habib Ahmed
Record: 25-0-1 (17 KO) ... Streak: W3 ... Last 5: 4-0-1 ... Last 10: 9-0-1 ... Stance: Orthodox ...Height/Reach: 5’8” / N/A ... Age: N/A

Thoughts: I’ve never seen Habib Ahmed fight. There’s no footage. He’s spent his entire career at home in Ghana, a country noted for producing tough fighters who can really go. If he lives up to tradition, it could be a tougher outing for Ramirez than expected.

Again, I say this plenty, and it doesn’t always mean much, but I stand by it: just because someone hasn’t fought at a high level doesn’t mean they can’t. We find out on Saturday.

Matchup Grade: No grade. Having never seen Ahmed fight, I can’t grade this. It’s going to wind up that Ahmed can fight at this level, or he can’t. But I think it’s worth tuning in to see, too.

ancajas-gonzalez%20(4).jpg

Undercard
  • Jerwin Ancajas vs Israel Gonzalez: The super flyweight division is one of the very best in boxing — I’d argue better and more interesting than the more star-heavy welterweights — and now it comes to ESPN, with new Top Rank signee Jerwin Ancajas (28-1-1, 19 KO) defending his IBF title against Israel Gonzalez (21-1, 8 KO). Ancajas is coming off of an absolutely dominant TKO-6 win over Jamie Conlan in November, and before that wiped out Teiru Kinoshyta on the Pacquiao-Horn undercard. Gonzalez has never fought on this level. On paper, it’s a showcase for Ancajas, but hopefully we get some excitement out of it, and Ancajas is not a boring fighter.

RoidJonesJr

Superstar
Daps
Damn, Zurdo hasn't had a stoppage win since November 2014.

He needs to fight the winner of Eubank-Groves if he ever truly wants to stand out in the Boxing world.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Damn, Zurdo hasn't had a stoppage win since November 2014.

He needs to fight the winner of Eubank-Groves if he ever truly wants to stand out in the Boxing world.
Not necessarily because the lack of stoppages but he is one of the blandest champions out there in the sport.
Not particularly impressive and doesn’t even have a distinct style...
hope Ahmed wins, I mean I don’t have any expectations cause he won’t but still

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So when is Arum gonna have Ancajas fight the other elite super FWs?

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Just cutting the fight on.
Funny to hear Bradley back on the mic, thought they went all in on Ward.