Everyone is sick of the Chet Holmgren-SGA ‘What a Pro Wants’ commercial

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
Screenshot-2024-04-28-at-7.46.15 PM.jpg
Credit: AT&T

By Sean Keeley on 04/29/2024

The teams and superstars may change, but there’s one constant in every American pro sports league playoff.
The one commercial that gets played ad nauseam to the point where everyone collectively hates it and wishes they never had to see it ever again.

"If the goal was to leave me equal parts confused and annoyed each time: Well done."

Screenshot-2024-04-28-at-7.46.15 PM.jpg
Credit: AT&T
AT&TNBABy Sean Keeley on 04/29/2024

The teams and superstars may change, but there’s one constant in every American pro sports league playoff.
The one commercial that gets played ad nauseam to the point where everyone collectively hates it and wishes they never had to see it ever again.

For the 2024 NBA Playoffs, that ad has been the “What a Pro Wants” AT&T commercial featuring Oklahoma City Thunder stars Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Chet Holmgren.

Given how much you’ve already watched it (and will watch it in the weeks ahead), we’re not going to force you to again, but just for reference you can find it here.

The conceit is simple but creates a lot of questions. Chet and SGA are leaving a nondescript building, both clad head-to-toe in leather. Holmgren lets SGA know that AT&T has just texted him with information for “the best plan for me,” which makes us wonder what plan they duped him with initially. When Holgren adds that “they know what a pro wants,” SGA replies by saying “what a pro needs” and they eventually start (poorly) singing Christina Aguilera’s “What a Girl Wants” before recognizing that they’ve got some work to do. They then get on a bus (is this a team bus or a charter bus that anyone can board?) and the commercial ends (although Holmgren remains outside the bus after SGA boards, implying that he might be having second thoughts).

It’s the kind of commercials that’s harmless enough if it runs selectively, or only during Oklahoma City games. But when that commercial becomes ever-present in the lives of NBA fans trying to maintain their sanity during the stressful playoffs, it ceases having any positive value in anyone’s life. Instead, it becomes a menace, unrelentingly stalking basketball fans without remorse.

And they’re pretty sick of it at this point.

We are all the bellhop at this point.

[AT&T

Daps
I remember when I first heard “No Flex Zone” on the radio back in 2014, I said to myself, “This is the worst fukking song I’ve ever heard in my life!”

But when that SremmLife (:wow:) album dropped, I completely turned around on the song, and started loving it.

And now I hate it again. Thanks, Wingstop! :obama:

EarlyEarly

Superstar
Daps
Never seen this commercial but I see the Butler Jaquez one and the Jokic Watson ones all the time.