Farmer John Boyd Jr. Wants African-Americans To Reconnect With Farming

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
dad.john.fredwatkins-704103839b4f5d6d15cc3c2a1c829bc2fb6f9f8a-s800-c85.jpg

As an African-American, John Boyd Jr. might not be what Americans imagine when they think of a typical farmer. But Boyd has been farming his entire life, like his father, grandfather and great-grandfather before him. He grows wheat, corn and soybeans and has cattle at his southwestern Virginia farm.

Boyd has been involved in the politics of farming as well. In 2010, he rode his tractorto Washington, D.C., to plead for settlement funds in a long-running lawsuit against the federal government for historical discrimination against black farmers. He also is the president of the National Black Farmers Association.

Boyd spoke recently with NPR's Michel Martin about the complicated historical relationship between African-Americans and farming in the United States.

How he describes his role

First and foremost, I'm always a farmer. But I'm always looking to make farming better. So I'm always looking for creative ways to make it better — to find access to markets for African-American farmers and other small farmers. ...

I'm a farmer — I love the land. And if you don't love the land and you don't love raising crops, then there's no way possible that you can be a farmer day in and day out because you're not going to get rich farming.

Did he ever want to do anything else?

My father's a farmer ... and I watched him farm. I watched both my grandfathers farm. My mother's father was a sharecropper. So I watched both of them farm and they taught me how to farm. And I said "Hey, I'm going to be a farmer." I didn't grow up saying I wanted to be a doctor ... a lawyer ... a dentist. I actually wanted to farm.

always was excited about land ownership. My father taught me very early on that land is the most important tool that a person can possess. And he taught me if I treat the land good the land will take care of me.

He said, "The land didn't mistreat anybody, didn't discriminate against anybody." He said, "people [do]." But if you put down a proper limeseed and fertilizer at the right time, that you can grow just as good a crop as any man.

And that brought out the competitive edge in me. So I wanted to take what he was doing and turn it into something bigger and better and more effective. And that's what I've been trying to do.

On the 30-year lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Agriculture

Basically it was the government discriminating against black farmers. For not lending them money on time, for not processing their loan applications.

I always said farmers are faced with acts of nature such as hurricanes, tornadoes and droughts. But you never should be faced with the actual hand of the federal government. They're supposed to give you a lending hand up, and not a lending hand down and mistreat people the way the government mistreated black farmers.

On why it matters that black people farm

I think it's a part of, a great part of history. I don't care how many generations you go back, you're only one or two generations away from somebody's farm. We all came from the farm. That's why we were brought to this country as black people. We were brought to work the land and clean up the South for scotch-free as slaves.

That's why it has a negative impact. And it's because of the bad stigma that we've had because of sharecropping, because of slavery. Our people — black people — die from everything. Heart attack, stroke, obesity. And it's from the foods that we're eating.

If we had more black people growing healthy foods — not as a megafarmer, but farming right in their backyard. Growing string beans, onions, all of the vegetables. If you were growing these things and eating more healthy foods, we wouldn't have some of the illnesses that plague us.

I think if we got reconnected with the farm, everything would be better. I would like to see our people go back to land ownership — get back to communities where we came from and really start doing some positive things.

NPR Choice page

Daps
One of my big life goals is to cop land in the black belt. Big enough to grow my own food. Close enough to the city to commute for work and entertainment

My family mostly comes from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma Kansas and North Carolina. Half of my family lives in the country. Hell as a child I spent most of my summers on my grandparent's farm in the country down in Oklahoma.
What’s OK like for black people? Been to OKC on a layover never explored

Homey the clown

Homey don't play that
Daps
Reppin
Unknown
So you know how to farm, or??? :dwillhuh:

Not really when I went down there for the summers as a kid brothers and I diid a little work but not enough were I believe I could be a fulltime farmer.Running a farm is really hard work because you have a lot of animals as well as land to take care of. My Gandpa used to own his own tree triming business and was also a plumber as well so he would take my brothers and I along with his workers to Muskogee to work with him. He really taught us that hard work paid off. I swear I didn't think about it back then but sometimes , I think my Grandparents were pretty well off financially. Not only did they own a car and two pick up trucks as well as a van, my Gandpa also had a Mack truck,a cattle trailer and a few other vehicles. And my Grandpa was always buying animals at the auction every Tuesday in Muskogee. When I was a kid I loved going down there but as I got older me and brothers started to hate going down there because it could pretty boring sometimes especially since he nearest town Muskogee was 8 miles and the only entertainment we had was riding our bikes and watching Tv on an old black and white TV. They did have a color TV but it never seemed to work. While I do have some family members who still live out in the country most of them are elderly .The majority, well close to a majority of my family lives in cities or the surburbs now. I feel like a hypocrite sometimes because I get upset every in a while because a lot of my family has abandoned country living and I feel like we're abandoning something that's part of my family's heritage but I would never want to live in the country.

Last edited:

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
Black elitist push college on everyone and we abandoned farming and skilled trades like idiots.

:sadcam: that really killed the black communit .

Anyway I have almost 1/2 an acre down here in Louisiana. Blackberries and pecan grow naturally, I want to start a small garden like my dad has, then go bigger.

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
Farming is :banderas:

I've helped with community gardens and watched them things change up a neighborhood. Gotta teach young brehs some skills cause alot of folks don't know shyt about planting and growing food.

And having your own farm land is also :banderas:, folks don't realize the amount of privacy it gives you. Breh is right you won't get "rich" but you'll be self sufficient. Being rich don't matter if you never gonna go hungry:sas1: