Fast-food workers walkout to protest low wages

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The more replaceable you are the less this stuff works.

I`m down with the cause though, but it just wont matter.

If the Huff Post is right about raising the prices to those levels to get people decent wages, then I'm all in for it no doubt. But you can't expect 15 an hour for that shyt.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You realize someone owns each individual franchise? They pay McDonalds to use the "McDonalds" name. They're free to pay their workers what they please- there arent instructions coming down from corporate....unless a new product is being introduced, which they have to sell at their restaurant. Look into franchises.

On a consolidated basis every dollar MCD makes on 17 cents go toward salary and benefits.

If labor is your biggest expense this shows that the majority of their workforce is grossly underpaid

babylon1

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
have any of you nikkas worked in a mcdonalds kitchen? shyt is exactly that. shyt. not a job that you look forward to. not climate controlled. hardly any working space. they should be making MORE than office workers, not less.

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
On a consolidated basis every dollar MCD makes on 17 cents go toward salary and benefits.

If labor is your biggest expense this shows that the majority of their workforce is grossly underpaid

You'd have to look at each individual franchise to determine how underpaid their workforce is.

I'd imagine the person who owns a McDonalds in midtown Manhattan paid a pretty penny for the location. Rent is astronomical I'm sure. These are the requirements for obtaining a McDonalds franchise:

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/franchising/us_franchising/aquiring_a_franchise.html

And this is how the McDonalds corporate structure gets paid. Not from railroading a teenager in NYC on wages.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
An employee working at a franchised McDonalds has zero interaction with corporate.

a lot of fast food places promote it though not to mention the biggest slave wage company of all Wal-Mart. Most CEO's of these companies don't do shyt yet the CEO of burger king for example makes over 8 million a year just to hold the title. Its crazy how people are saying these workers should look for other jobs when unemployment hasn't been under 7 percent in years.

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
You'd have to look at each individual franchise to determine how underpaid their workforce is.

I'd imagine the person who owns a McDonalds in midtown Manhattan paid a pretty penny for the location. These are the requirements for obtaining a McDonalds franchise:

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/franchising/us_franchising/aquiring_a_franchise.html
a lot of fast food places promote it though not to mention the biggest slave wage company of all Wal-Mart. Most CEO's of these companies don't do shyt yet the CEO of burger king for example makes over 8 million a year just to hold the title. Its crazy how people are saying these workers should look for other jobs when unemployment hasn't been under 7 percent in years.

For someone without a college degree- a career path in retail isnt necessarily a bad thing. McDonalds rarely close, become a manager you'll receive solid benefits and have job security if you do well.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
McDonald's can afford to pay its workers a living wage without sacrificing any of its low menu prices, according to a new study provided to The Huffington Post by a University of Kansas researcher.

Doubling the salaries and benefits of all McDonald's employees -- from workers earning the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour to CEO Donald Thompson, whose 2012 compensation totaled $8.75 million -- would cause the price of a Big Mac to increase just 68 cents, from $3.99 to $4.67, University of Kansas research assistant Arnobio Morelix told HuffPost. In addition, every item on the Dollar Menu would go up by 17 cents.

Morelix's research comes as fast-food workers across the country strike for a $15 per hour minimum wage. Workers are also protesting for the right to unionize without fear of retaliation. Protesters are holding strikes in seven cities over a four-day period, according to Salon.

Morelix looked at McDonald's 2012 annual report and discovered that only 17.1 percent of the fast-food giant's revenue goes toward salaries and benefits. In other words, for every dollar McDonald's earns, a little more than 17 cents goes toward the income and benefits of its more than 500,000 U.S. employees.

Thus, if McDonald's executives wanted to double the salaries of all of its employees and keep profits and other expenses the same, it would need to increase prices by just 17 cents per dollar, according to Morelix.

McDonald's declined a request to comment from The Huffington Post.

so for people saying big macs would cost $20.00 need to fall back.

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
Right- Whole Foods requires Im sure a more extensive background check and such. Rich people shop at Whole Foods- they're going to bring in employees that more so match their clientele. Personally I think its overpriced and pretentious, but I digress...

McDonalds is McDonalds- its a minimum wage job...I mean do you think McDonalds workers(requires really nothing to be hired) should be paid like someone at WF?
No way, when i go to go Whole Foods and get a vegan hot dog i want it cooked just right and when i go and get my breakfast there, i want the guy at the omelet station to cook it just right which he does every-time.,

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Minimum wage jobs is just that. For people with zero to low skills. It's there if you want it. If you aspire to bigger things with better pay, then you go for that. This is America, not the Soviet Union. There are restaurants that pay their cooks and servers more in wages. They also cost more to eat there too. So, it comes to inflation. You want to increase minimum wage to $15, the cost of a meal is going to go up too, probably double. So, a McDonald's meal is going to cost $5 for a hamburger, not the Big Mac, just a plain hamburger. The Big Mac is going to be $11. No fries or soda too. A hamburger, fries and a medium Coke will be $10. A Big Mac, fries and a medium Coke will be $16.
Think about the trickle down effect of that. The volume of customers will drop by more than 50%. Other restaurants who are more upscale than McDonald's will have a higher wage, and even higher prices. So a diner that had a $10 platter of fried chicken, fries and a soda will now cost $20. A small Dairy Queen milkshake is going to cost $8.00. :dahell:
Restaurants have closed due to the hurting economy. Less people can afford to eat out. Raising wages, and ultimately food prices is going to result in restaurants going bankrupt and closing down. The final repercussion is higher unemployment and even less jobs.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
Minimum wage jobs is just that. For people with zero to low skills. It's there if you want it. If you aspire to bigger things with better pay, then you go for that. This is America, not the Soviet Union. There are restaurants that pay their cooks and servers more in wages. They also cost more to eat there too. So, it comes to inflation. You want to increase minimum wage to $15, the cost of a meal is going to go up too, probably double. So, a McDonald's meal is going to cost $5 for a hamburger, not the Big Mac, just a plain hamburger. The Big Mac is going to be $11. No fries or soda too. A hamburger, fries and a medium Coke will be $10. A Big Mac, fries and a medium Coke will be $16.
Think about the trickle down effect of that. The volume of customers will drop by more than 50%. Other restaurants who are more upscale than McDonald's will have a higher wage, and even higher prices. So a diner that had a $10 platter of fried chicken, fries and a soda will now cost $20. A small Dairy Queen milkshake is going to cost $8.00. :dahell:
Restaurants have closed due to the hurting economy. Less people can afford to eat out. Raising wages, and ultimately food prices is going to result in restaurants going bankrupt and closing down. The final repercussion is higher unemployment and even less jobs.

You're talking about an increase of pennies on the dollar for a few items on the mcdonalds menu if ALL employees experienced a doubling of their wages. That includes the CEO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/mcdonalds-salaries_n_3672006.html

People are so caught up in the true class warfare (rhetoric against the poor), than they show hostility to the idea that increasing wages to the livable, would benefit the overall economy by enlarging aggregate demand. But people would rather coc00n themselves in a shell of right wing supply side bullsht.

Last edited:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
For me it comes down to a few things. . What is the point of Minimum wage? In my opinion the point of it SHOULD be so your employees make enough to live on(be able to afford the necessities) but clearly it is no longer a "living wage" and needs to be raised. But since minimum wage is a state by state basis, its a pain in the ass to raise since you have to deal with legislature and business interests. I think if you're working full time you should be able to live on your wage. McDonald's can afford it easily too.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
You're talking about an increase of pennies on the dollar for a few items on the mcdonalds menu if ALL employees saw their wages double. Even the CEO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/mcdonalds-salaries_n_3672006.html

People are so caught up in the true class warfare (rhetoric against the poor), than they show hostility to the idea that increasing wages to the livable would benefit the overall economy by enlarging aggregate demand. But people would rather coc00n themselves in a shell of right wing supply side bullsht.
Huffington Post article is making "presumptions". The minimum wage increases haven't been as monumental as a jump to $15. But if you have noticed, increases in minimum wage has resulted in increases in a cost of a meal and menu items at all the fast food restaurants.
McDonald's restaurants are franchises. The corporation makes money on franchise fees and property rental. The McDonald's corporation franchise fee is the same whether or not minimum wage is higher. It affects the bottom line for the franchise owner. The franchise owner has to pay the higher minimum wage, not the corporation. If you've ever been to a McDonald's in Manhattan, all the prices for everything is higher. It's allowed though. Those franchise owner have higher expenses than a McDonald's in Montana.
So if minimum wage is increased, it's the franchise owner who has to eat it if the prices stay the same according to nationally set prices by the corporation. Franchise owners are not allowed to set their own prices. There are marketing people who set the national prices accordingly to be competitive against Burger King and Wendy's. The way franchise owners would maintain profitability is to increase food prices. Which as I've stated earlier, has occurred with previous minimum wage increases.