:flabbynsick: brehs, what was it like playing Dreamcast online?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Copped a DC day 1 and played "Quake Arena" online. Was dope.

Also used the web browser, it's how I first joined SOHH in '99.

Compared to what we have now it was obviously trash but that tech being in a console in 1999 is one of the main reasons DC failed. It was too far ahead of it's time.

Fred.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I used it to go to IGN back when it was mostly just pictures and the page would take a few minutes to load up.

I also was learning how to code and create games via seganet. I made a game on the vmu but it was ass. I'm appreciative Sega gave us the opportunity to learn that, would be revolutionary even today....
Back then gaming magazines were more popular. I didn’t go to gaming sites often cause I wasn’t willing to wait for pics to load.

At least you played with your VMU, I ignored that shyt

OnlyFrans

subscribe today!
Supporter
Daps
I would say most games worked fine. Sports games where a struggle but in football it made for a better experience imo. You had to make a decision early so for instance if you're playing defense and you're attempting to make a play?! You gotta read and react before it happens or it won't happen because of the lag. I just felt that sort of mirrors real life while nowadays the game itself has to try to recreate the reality of that and it just doesn't anymore. You felt the weight of the player because of the lag, that shyt doesn't exist anymore.

Other games worked damn near flawlessly, chu Chu Rocket was the first online game but the best online game was quake 3 arena. Lag was rare, I played with a mouse and controller combo, was a beast. Would like to play that game again, preferably an upgraded version buy THAT VERSION. There are no vertical shooting games that Are popular anymore (at least on console)
Have you played Quake Live? I know it aint as bloody as Quake 3 but the rest of the game is Quake 3 with modern improvements.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Back then gaming magazines were more popular. I didn’t go to gaming sites often cause I wasn’t willing to wait for pics to load.

At least you played with your VMU, I ignored that shyt
First game I downloaded was Tetris. Also the vmu was used in certain games. Seaman being one :ufdup:
Have you played Quake Live? I know it aint as bloody as Quake 3 but the rest of the game is Quake 3 with modern improvements.
I haven't touched foot in a quake universe since Dreamcast unfortunately :to:

OnlyFrans

subscribe today!
Supporter
Daps
First game I downloaded was Tetris. Also the vmu was used in certain games. Seaman being one :ufdup:

I haven't touched foot in a quake universe since Dreamcast unfortunately :to:
Its on steam.

you can also play it through web browsers. Aint even need a beefed up pc, it’ll run on a potato.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Its on steam.

you can also play it through web browsers. Aint even need a beefed up pc, it’ll run on a potato.
I'm a console gamer at heart. Growing up only nerds played on PC like that. I'm a gamer so I still payed attention but ultimately it was for dragons lair. Then when working for funcoland a co-worker would go to an internet cafe to play counter strike. I tried it, and after 30 min or so I could handle the mouse keyboard combo pretty well. But it felt cheap, fake, fine for counter strike but I wouldn't want every fps to be that. And because of that I've stayed away from PC gaming. I don't like making things easy and PC gamers in general feel it's their right to have it be this way. p*ssy shyt imo. Quake needs a mouse, call of duty... not so much

Romell

Superstar
Daps
I honestly remember it being pretty decent, only played phantasy star online
Yeah I think this was like THE game to play online and it had little to almost no issues from what I remember. Crazy to think that with all of the problems that games launch with today.

Lord Bison

Superstar
Daps
Phantasy GOAT Online was goated in the early 2000s on the DC. I remember I got a job back then bagging groceries so I could get my own phone line and play Dreamcast games uninterrupted. Ain't no worse feeling in the world when mama gotta use the phone during your online gaming session :beli:

However NBA 2K servers were just as trash back then as they are today. :flabbynsick: brehs know wsup

1ncognegro

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#SidenikkaGang 804 VA
I used it to go to IGN back when it was mostly just pictures and the page would take a few minutes to load up.

I also was learning how to code and create games via seganet. I made a game on the vmu but it was ass. I'm appreciative Sega gave us the opportunity to learn that, would be revolutionary even today....
It’s crazy how Sega fumbled so fkn much when they could’ve took over the game