Flawed Assessments Caused $2 Billion Shift in Property Taxes, Study Finds

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no i hear you that he says hes going to lower or freeze property taxes, and i am asking you if he has addressed how he will make up for that loss of revenue?
the Governor of Kansas said he was gonna cut this tax and that tax, and he did and now the state is completely fukked.
Same thing in Oklahoma where they have now had to cut school weeks to 4 days cause thats what they can afford.

i dont expect everybody to be a budget expert, and i respect and expect smart spending and budgeting, but nothing is for free.

One of the major problems in Illinois generally and cook county specifically is the criminal levels of waste/inefficieny in how tax dollars are spent. The games these cats are playing should be illegal. Berrios overtaxes low and middle class homeowners. Rich taxpayers who are represented by guys like Madigan then appeal to Berrios to lower their taxes (which are granted). Meanwhile Berrios couldn’t even be elected without Madigans help (in fact Madigan is The Godfather).

My point is that while it is taking the “conservative” view of the issue, I honestly think it’s unfair to approach this issue from the standpoint of “how do you make up the revenue.” This is one example where I think the onus should first be on the government to show that it’s utilizing taxpayer monies efficiently.

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
One of the major problems in Illinois generally and cook county specifically is the criminal levels of waste/inefficieny in how tax dollars are spent. The games these cats are playing should be illegal. Berrios overtaxes low and middle class homeowners. Rich taxpayers who are represented by guys like Madigan then appeal to Berrios to lower their taxes (which are granted). Meanwhile Berrios couldn’t even be elected without Madigans help (in fact Madigan is The Godfather).

My point is that while it is taking the “conservative” view of the issue, I honestly think it’s unfair to approach this issue from the standpoint of “how do you make up the revenue.” This is one example where I think the onus should first be on the government to show that it’s utilizing taxpayer monies efficiently.

my comments were meant to be in a general sense
certainly not speaking on illinois or Cook county specifically
i completely understand where you are coming from.
i just hate the idea to appeal to folks that "hey no taxes!" works and is anything other
than bullshyt that politicians peddle. i am ofcourse all for better budgeting and better spending
thats a completely different discussion.

lots of lurkers and regulars who just dont post come through these threads
i hate for them to leave with crazy ideas and try to apply them universally.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
BTW There is a republican governor trying to end the property tax bullshyt :jbhmm:

Property tax bullshyt? For a lot of reasons, property taxes are some of the best taxes out there.

They're one of the very few taxes that go after wealth rather than income, so they hurt the idle wealthy the most and the hard-working poor the least.

They discourage hoarding large amount of property and land, which would ideally be split among many people.

They are the most natural, fairest taxes when you think about it. Your income is something you earned, but the land? That's something God put there. You only got it cause someone stole it from some other community and then sold it to you. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't move to a framework where the community "owns" the land and you're charged a regular amount to use it to the benefit of the community. A small amount (enough for a single-family home) could be exempt for everyone, and anything more would be charged at the rate necessary to support the community infrastructure. Land speculators who just buy up land to get wealthy playing the market, rich people who just buy up land cause they don't want no one else to have any, would be screwed under that policy.

Rich people going to stay hating on property taxes, that's why they worked so hard to cheat on them in this case.

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
Property tax bullshyt? For a lot of reasons, property taxes are some of the best taxes out there.

They're one of the very few taxes that go after wealth rather than income, so they hurt the idle wealthy the most and the hard-working poor the least.

They discourage hoarding large amount of property and land, which would ideally be split among many people.

They are the most natural, fairest taxes when you think about it. Your income is something you earned, but the land? That's something God put there. You only got it cause someone stole it from some other community and then sold it to you. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't move to a framework where the community "owns" the land and you're charged a regular amount to use it to the benefit of the community. A small amount (enough for a single-family home) could be exempt for everyone, and anything more would be charged at the rate necessary to support the community infrastructure. Land speculators who just buy up land to get wealthy playing the market, rich people who just buy up land cause they don't want no one else to have any, would be screwed under that policy.

Rich people going to stay hating on property taxes, that's why they worked so hard to cheat on them in this case.

Why did you write all that ? Your wrong . The entire reason I called it bullshyt is because it’s killing poor people . That’s what this thread is about . Lol read the story

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Why did you write all that ? Your wrong . The entire reason I called it bullshyt is because it’s killing poor people . That’s what this thread is about . Lol read the story

The study showed they cheated the assessments to get that result. But the rich cheat EVERY part of the tax system. You think they aren't hiding income on their income taxes to work their way to pay a lower rate than middle-class incomes are? You think they aren't hiding profits on the corporate tax to pay a lower rate than small businesses are? Why do you talk like property tax is some special part of the tax code that's the only place where the rich cheat?

The fact that the rich tried to game the property tax system doesn't prove that property taxes are wrong, it only proves that that flaw needs to be fixed. By your logic we shouldn't tax at all, because there ain't no tax that the rich haven't gamed before.

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
The study showed they cheated the assessments to get that result. But the rich cheat EVERY part of the tax system. You think they aren't hiding income on their income taxes to work their way to pay a lower rate than middle-class incomes are? You think they aren't hiding profits on the corporate tax to pay a lower rate than small businesses are? Why do you talk like property tax is some special part of the tax code that's the only place where the rich cheat?

The fact that the rich tried to game the property tax system doesn't prove that property taxes are wrong, it only proves that that flaw needs to be fixed. By your logic we shouldn't tax at all, because there ain't no tax that the rich haven't gamed before.

By my logic we shouldn’t tax at all ? :francis:

Your gonna have to show me where I said that .

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
ProPublica
57 mins ·
Our colleagues at ProPublica Illinois have spent months showing how Cook County's assessor has used property taxes to take from the poor and give to the rich.

And now, the assessor has been kicked out of office.

http://wgntv.com/…/cook-county-assessor-joe-berrios-conced…/

WGNTV.COM

Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios concedes to primary challenger Fritz Kaegi
CHICAGO -- Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios has called financial manager Fritz Kaegi to concede in the Illinois Primary race, WGN…

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
ProPublica
57 mins ·
Our colleagues at ProPublica Illinois have spent months showing how Cook County's assessor has used property taxes to take from the poor and give to the rich.

And now, the assessor has been kicked out of office.

http://wgntv.com/…/cook-county-assessor-joe-berrios-conced…/

WGNTV.COM

Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios concedes to primary challenger Fritz Kaegi
CHICAGO -- Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios has called financial manager Fritz Kaegi to concede in the Illinois Primary race, WGN…

EVERY VOTE.EVERY ELECTION COUNTS.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can you give us an example of this?

How much time do you have?

Generally speaking our contracting process is garbage - it leads to our governmental units to overspend on routine items, discourages competition due to the overly complicated purchasing process (most RFP/RFQs are 200pages +) and allows insiders to colonize entire departments, steering contracts to favored companies.

Recent example - friend of mine worked on a project where the county wanted to replace every window at a county operated nursing home. Bid called for appx 275 windows to be purchased and installed. He ended up bidding almost 1,000 per window and amazingly enough won the bid bc literally no one else submitted a bid. Even if the county had just went to Home Depot and bought the windows they wouldn’t have paid more than $300 a piece. He hires a company to install the windows and come to find out the county didn’t even count the correct number of windows. There were still almost 40 windows left over. But the county paid for the full amount anyways.

A responsible government would never award such a contract if there is only one bidder. It would also already know before the contract is even awarded the expected/reasonable range of prices for the goods they’re purchasing. It would know how much of this product they actually need. So at the end of the day they ended up paying almost 300K for what could’ve been done for 100K tops.

This is one tiny contract among hundreds. There is zero accountability in the entire state when it comes to government waste.