• California Love

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters

Renzo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cali love was HUGE...way bigger..you had to be there in late 95 to realize how huge that song..and album hype was..

Farrinto

Who's the best MCs? Biggie, Jay-Z, and Nas
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Would depend on where you're at. I was in Philly. Mo Money Mo Problems was an absolute ANTHEM.

Real shyt. This song was undeniable when it dropped, it was everywhere. I knew Big's verse word for word within a week of hearing it :to: To this day, it's still my favorite rap song of all time due to the memories associated with it.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Cali Love was more popular as a song, by far.
The hype for Mo Money Mo Problems at the time was not for the song itself but for the music video. It had them floating and basically flying, which in the 90s was like :mindblown: That, the fisheye lense... fireworks, spacesuits, etc... it was a big deal in the 90s.

As a song it was whatever.:manny:

And of course the Puffy/Ma$e choreographed dancing... :dead:

• Dap
Reactions: Jaz

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
I honestly can't call it.. California Love was huge, but I feel like Mo Money may have been the bigger mainstream hit...mind you I was in middle school, this was 20 years ago, and I have no idea what the actual factual metrics say. ..but just based on memory mo money was part of the post biggie death bad boy run that seemed like a bigger pop type run than California Love which was the kickoff for pacs post jail death row run...cali love I'd say was the bigger core rap impact...but mo money was part of a slightly different era...when puff was turning into a legit pop star

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
both were equally huge. Even look at the stats. both were #1 on Billboard for 2 weeks.

if I had to give the slight edge to one over the other, I'd say Mo Money Mo Problems. That shyt was INESCAPABLE. Also, the rap audience in 1997 was bigger than in 1995. So much changed within the span of 2 years

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
California Love was probably the biggest hip-hop song of the 90s outside of Crossroads and maybe U Can't Touch This

hatechall

Banned
Daps
Reppin
universe
both were equally huge. Even look at the stats. both were #1 on Billboard for 2 weeks.

if I had to give the slight edge to one over the other, I'd say Mo Money Mo Problems. That shyt was INESCAPABLE. Also, the rap audience in 1997 was bigger than in 1995. So much changed within the span of 2 years

Good point.

Puffy's shiny suits and glamorous raps helped catapult the genre into the mainstream. I remember seeing Mo Money Mo Problems all the time on MTV.

When Cali Love came out rap was still regarded as black music. Hence, it wasn't quite as popular.

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
Thats close...they were both monsters. They both were huge hits everywhere...not just there respective coasts. I guess Cali love sold more records...but damn I remember Ma$e blowing the fukk up and being all over the god damn radio during that period. shyt was sickening. They were both only #1 on Billboard for like a week. "I'll Be Missing You" was way bigger than both...If I had to choose one...I would say Mo Money Mo Problems had the bigger impact on the industry...and 2pac is my favorite rapper of all time. I actually grew up through this entire period.

Hype Williams caked off both them videos tho...And "I'll Be Missing You" ...and "No Diggity"...and "Gettin' Jiggy wit It."..and "I Can't Sleep Baby (If I)"...And "Down Low."..and "Doin It"...And "I Believe I Can Fly"

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
California
California love was everywhere

And its still a classic til this day

Mo money more problems aged horribly and I cringe every time I hear it.