Former NFL player Michael Sam Says the LGBT Community Used Him and Then Abandoned Him

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
In an emotional interview published on Yahoo News, former NFL player Michael Sam recounts how his life fell apart after he was celebrated as the first openly gay player in the NFL.

Sam also criticizes the LGBT community, among others, for not helping him after his life had spiraled out of control.

He faced a firestorm of public outcry and scrutiny when he was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in 2014, and cameras showed him kissing his then-fiance in celebration.

After playing for the Rams and being released, he was picked up by the Dallas Cowboys but was released without playing one down for the organization.

Sam says he began to abuse drugs and alcohol and lost control of his life.

When he found himself in a one-bedroom apartment in Dallas by the Fall of 2016, he reached out to the LGBT community who had championed him before, as well as other sports organizations and businesses.

Despite the previous support they had shown him, "no one would give me a job," he said.

"Where was the support that I got for coming out?" Sam added. "I felt like I was used by everyone."

He was partying, working out and hooked on cocaine. "I felt lost and worthless," he said.

Sam has since stopped abusing hard drugs after an ayahuasca retreat in Peru. He is working to heal his broken relationship with his family.

Former NFL player Michael Sam says the LGBT community used him as a poster boy and then abandoned him

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
giphy.gif

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps

We outchea posting right-wing conservative stories now? This website is owned by Glenn Beck so it’s probably worthwhile reading the Yahoo story himself, where he said the NFL is to blame too and did not say the LGBT community specifically

He reached out to organizations and companies in sports and the LGBT community but “no one would give me a job,” he says. “Where was the support that I got for coming out? I felt like I was used by everyone.”

Additionally I guess this article was posted just so people could say “I told you so”. But the black community wouldn’t have even accepted him, his family disowned him too. Don’t know what black are salty towards him for :yeshrug:

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Stupid ass should've never came out before he got drafted. He's a fukking idiot :camby:

Yep. Had he come out after, he'd have been fine. Everyone at Mizzou knew he was gay. When he started pushing it before the draft, that was a red flag because his overall conduct was detrimental to a team.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Dude left millions on the table doing that dumb shyt.

He probably works a regular azz job right now when he could be in the NFL making millions.

Even if he only had his rookie contract, at least he'd be sitting on a comfortable piece of cash smh.

Last edited: