From 96-97, who was the better lyricist: Biggie or Hov?

Better lyricist in 96/97?

• Biggie

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • Jay-Z

Votes: 32 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Now in real time (while BIG was still alive), I always thought back then and now that Jay was a better lyricist then BIG. To me BIG had Jay on flow/delivery/cadence. And in 96/97, as far as having the formula down pack (balance of making commercial hits, guest appearances on R&B tracks, and street joints) of course BIG had that mastered and Jay had to grow into that over time. But pound for pound on some lyrical sh*t, Jay always had that over BI imo.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Jay easily

Big better technical rapper back then

But Hov among the best lyricists to ever do it.

Top 3 at worst

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
One of my favorite things to do on this site is poke fun at the camel but even Ill give props where they are due...he was a cold ass lyricist in 96, the smooth, detached hustler with a witty, poetic side

Big was a little more raw, straight to the gut type of lyrics...the no frills grimy dude standing on the corner who became a superstar was his persona and he mastered it during his short time

I'm leaning towards Jay if we talking strictly lyrics...but what pushes Big beyond basically every rapper is having the GOAT flow

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
One of my favorite things to do on this site is poke fun at the camel but even Ill give props where they are due...he was a cold ass lyricist in 96, the smooth, detached hustler with a witty, poetic side

Big was a little more raw, straight to the gut type of lyrics...the no frills grimy street dude who became a superstar was his persona and he mastered it during his short time

I'm leaning towards Jay if we talking strictly lyrics...but what pushes Big beyond basically every rapper is having the GOAT flow
Couldn’t have said it better

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I'm not mad at anyone considering Hov the better lyricist. I've thought Big was a little better personally because he could better inject his personality in his rhymes like adding humor but still keep it gutter. Jay's always been nice lyrically but it took him a little to really hit his stride. Big came out the gate doing what he did & was only getting better

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Jay easily

Big better technical rapper back then

But Hov among the best lyricists to ever do it.

Top 3 at worst

Big was a little more raw, straight to the gut type of lyrics...the no frills grimy dude standing on the corner who became a superstar was his persona and he mastered it during his short time

Couldn’t have said it better

Thread title says in 96-97.

One of the booth’s least favorite things to do is read.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
If the answer aint Biggie you didnt experience it in real time. Bunch of 20 yr olds discussing a topic and they wasnt born yet.
I'll be 42 in June and was 19/20 during the said time frame. Back then in real time, I use to debate people up and down that Jay was a better spitter then BIG while he was still alive. That doesn't take anything away from BIG because he's still a GOAT. I just always leaned more towards Jay :yeshrug: