From 96-97, who was the better lyricist: Biggie or Hov?

Better lyricist in 96/97?

• Biggie

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • Jay-Z

Votes: 32 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
If the answer aint Biggie you didnt experience it in real time. Bunch of 20 yr olds discussing a topic and they wasnt born yet.

Exactly, what kind of revisionist history is this? Jay was NOTHING when Big was alive. Now he’s better than Big in 96/97? Y’all are ridiculous.

No Hook

Surrounded By Hate Yet I Love Home
Daps
Reppin
Philly
This is disrespectful to Big seeing as how Jay been biting 96-97 Biggie rhymes for a large portion of his career.

You couldn't be more wrong. Yes he has bit some of Bigs lines but to say he has done this for a large portion of his career is just lies

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
This is disrespectful to Big seeing as how Jay been biting 96-97 Biggie rhymes for a large portion of his career.

It's crazy reading this revisionist history here considering when they both were breathing on this earth at the same time Big was the consensus better emcee. And this is no knock on Jay because he's elite himself

Daps
It's crazy reading this revisionist history here considering when they both were breathing on this earth at the same time Big was the consensus better emcee. And this is no knock on Jay because he's elite himself

And Jay was older than Big, in the game years before Big. Jay was not on Big, Pac, or Nas level when they were all alive. Jay was a C teamer at BEST at that time, really a D teamer as far as fame and people checking for him.

No one outside of Brooklyn knew who he was till he was singing hooks for Foxy Brown.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You couldn't be more wrong. Yes he has bit some of Bigs lines but to say he has done this for a large portion of his career is just lies

Lol. Yea, ok. I'm a Jay fan and he's in my Top 5 but it's the truth. nikka spent years biting BIG rhymes. You spent "years" biting a nikka rhymes that's a large portion.

No Hook

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Lol. Yea, ok. I'm a Jay fan and he's in my Top 5 but it's the truth. nikka spent years biting BIG rhymes. You spent "years" biting a nikka rhymes that's a large portion.

So as Big as Jays catalogue has been 13 albums, a lot of guest appearances he has bit Bigs rhymes for a large portion of his career? Naw

Daps
Like I said, as big as Jay's catalogue is, he has not bit Bigs rhymes for a large portion of his career as was stated

Nobody cares about Jays catalog after the black album, in his prime which was late 90’s early 2000’s is when he was biting Big left and right.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Like I said, as big as Jay's catalogue is, he has not bit Bigs rhymes for a large portion of his career as was stated

He bit ALOT of Big's rhymes bro. That vid posted above was a 3 part series that got taken down. I'm a Jay fan & he's no lower than top 3 to me all time but he "recycled" tons of Big material like @Billy Ocean said

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
Chopped Cheese & Snapple Iced Tea
Exactly, what kind of revisionist history is this? Jay was NOTHING when Big was alive. Now he’s better than Big in 96/97? Y’all are ridiculous.

Facts. Anyone who was outside in 96-97 knows that Jay-Z was around and had joints but as long as BIG was rapping Jay wasn't going to blow up commercially. Only reason Jay blew is after BIG died there was a vacuum and people were looking for someone to fill the void BIG left. I feel like Dame played a role in positioning Jay too. I think Jay is an opportunist but in hindsight I can't really be mad at it either.

IMO in 97 I wouldn't even say Jay was better than Pun but that's another conversation..

No Hook

Daps
Reppin
Philly
He bit ALOT of Big's rhymes bro. That vid posted above was a 3 part series that got taken down. I'm a Jay fan & he's no lower than top 3 to me all time but he "recycled" tons of Big material like @Billy Ocean said

So how can someone be in your top 3 if he has bit another rappers rhymes for a large portion of their career? That makes no sense at all

Daps
Facts. Anyone who was outside in 96-97 knows that Jay-Z was around and had joints but as long as BIG was rapping Jay wasn't going to blow up commercially. Only reason Jay blew is after BIG died there was a vacuum and people were looking for someone to fill the void BIG left. I feel like Dame played a role in positioning Jay too. I think Jay is an opportunist but in hindsight I can't really be mad at it either.

IMO in 97 I wouldn't even say Jay was better than Pun but that's another conversation..

Big and Pac dying and Nas declining in that era gave Jay an opportunity, cuz he definitely couldn’t compete with them in their primes. Jay is an opportunist and I’m not knocking that. He’s not an idiot. DMX was bigger than Jay in 97...why do you think Rocafella had a tour but added X as a headliner? Cuz Jay couldn’t carry it by himself.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
So how can someone be in your top 3 if he has bit another rappers rhymes for a large portion of their career? That makes no sense at all

He's recycled a lot Big lines but he's got so much original material his greatness can't be denied. He's just not better than Big to me & a lot of others fam. His opening line is from a Big song plus what song/s from Big do you think this was "inspired" from?