From 96-97, who was the better lyricist: Biggie or Hov?

Better lyricist in 96/97?

• Biggie

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • Jay-Z

Votes: 32 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Hook

Lucky Me
Daps
Reppin
Philly
He's recycled a lot Big lines but he's got so much original material his greatness can't be denied. He's just not better than Big to me & a lot of others fam. His opening line is from a Big song plus what song/s from Big do you think this was "inspired" from?

So if this is the case which is true, how has he bit Big's rhymes for a large protion of his career? A lot of rappers are inspired by a lot of songs from other rappers. He paid homage and acknowledged it

Daps
Like I said, as big as Jay's catalogue is, he has not bit Bigs rhymes for a large portion of his career as was stated

No way can you watch the vid and think anything other than Jay bit Big numerous times. Never had one rapper jacked so many bars from another rapper IN HISTORY.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
So if this is the case which is true, how has he bit Big's rhymes for a large protion of his career? A lot of rappers are inspired by a lot of songs from other rappers. He paid homage and acknowledged it

Just by the one song I posted for you the opening line is from a Big verse from Can't Stop The Reign with Shaq. Big also has a song on LAD called Fukin You Tonight with R. Kelly. And lastly that whole track sounds so ridiculous similar to Get Money. See where I'm going? There's many instances like this with Jay but to me it doesn't take away from his greatness

No Hook

Lucky Me
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Just by the one song I posted for you the opening line is from a Big verse from Can't Stop The Reign with Shaq. Big also has a song on LAD called Fukin You Tonight with R. Kelly. And lastly that whole track sounds so ridiculous similar to Get Money. See where I'm going? There's many instances like this with Jay but to me it doesn't take away from his greatness

What I said still stands. Jay didn't bit Big's rhymes for a large portion of his career as was stated

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

Pay homage my ass. nikka straight bit BIG rhymes. And he did it for years :russ:

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
Thread says 96-97 so that means we're judging all of their verses between 96-97

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
In that single year, yes BIG was better.

98 on Jay's been the best as is currently GOAT

a1pacino

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While Big was alive he was the best rapper that ever did it, Jay Z is cut from the same cloth and carried the torch after he died and deserves the crown now imo

DeuceZ

Li pitit gason
Daps
Reppin
3rd Rock From the Sun
This wasn't a discussion back in 96 so that should tell you something :stopitslime:

Jigga started to flow like us but hit with ain't no nukkas:dame:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Jay easily
this song pretty much deads anything..

Big ate his lunch.. Jay was a lil dude compared to B-I.. :shaq2:

if im not mistaken Big recorded his verses after(month if not months later) Jay Z did his

I remember reading several sources on how it took Big months later to come up with his verses