Gen-z are choosing a trade instead of college which shows they're smart.

Im Exhausted

Bought my girl a Chanel bag, and she left me still
Daps
Gen-Z students are choosing a trade over college. That shows they’re smart | Vocational education | The Guardian mm

Vocational education

Gen-Z students are choosing a trade over college. That shows they’re smart​

Young people are increasingly opting to train as plumbers, electricians, welders and carpenters and similar vocations
Gene Marks
Sun 19 May 2024 07.00 EDT

Just this past week I stopped by a local convenience store around 6am for a coffee before a long drive. The store at that time was – unsurprisingly – filled with contractors doing the same before their early-morning jobs started. Most of the contractors that I saw were younger and in their 20s. It was noticeable. And apparently, I’m not the only one noticing.
According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, a growing number of gen-Zers are flocking to the construction trade.
“Enrollment in vocational training programs is surging as overall enrollment in community colleges and four-year institutions has fallen,” writes Te-Ping Chen. “The number of students enrolled in vocational-focused community colleges rose 16 percent last year to its highest level since the National Student Clearinghouse began tracking such data in 2018. The ranks of students studying construction trades rose 23 percent during that time, while those in programs covering HVAC and vehicle maintenance and repair increased 7 percent.”
Why the surge? There are some obvious reasons including the ridiculously high cost of tuition and a declining return on investment. By comparison, a two-year course at a trade school virtually guarantees a young plumber, electrician, welder or carpenter a job for life in an industry that is woefully understaffed and grappling with a housing shortage not seen in recent memory. Although physically demanding, most construction jobs start early and also end earlier in the day. The work is varied and challenging. The demand for these workers is high. And if there’s a desire to be entrepreneurial and start one’s own business, the construction industry is a trade with a low barrier to entry and a higher probability of building an asset of value with relatively little risk.
So why is it just recently that so many younger people are replacing a college education with these technical skills? I blame it on us, the parents. We’re the ones who have been overpaying for our kids’ education.
Almost 10 years ago I sent my three kids to overpriced schools. And why? Because my ego is too big. I whined and grumbled about the high cost of tuition and I knew that the education they were receiving did little to prepare them for their real-world job responsibilities. But how could I tell my friends and neighbors in our middle-class suburban community that my children would be attending a – gasp! – community college or a technical school? Oh, the shame!
“They must be having financial troubles if they can’t afford a college,” our friends would say. “I always knew those Marks kids weren’t so smart!”
My ego was too big and my self-confidence was too low. I know others who felt the same way. So we paid through the nose for colleges where our children – who had a great time, mind you – but spent more of that time at home or drinking beer than in the actual classroom. Lesson learned. The good news is that some parents – and their kids – are learning.
“I’ll be honest, it took me a little bit mentally to get on board,” one mother, who studied drama and art history before obtaining an MBA (imagine what that cost!), said in the Wall Street Journal article. But she soon realized the benefits.
All of this presents a great recruiting opportunity for companies in the construction field. And many of my clients and friends in this industry are jumping on it. They’re partnering with local high schools and offering apprenticeships, summer jobs and other opportunities to give students a taste for the work and a vision of the opportunities. There’s still a labor shortage, but the numbers are improving. And more technical degrees in engineering are still a good option for students that enjoy that kind of thing.
The construction and contracting field is a great career path for gen-Zers, and that’s great news for many of my clients in this industry. Judging by the early-morning crowd at the convenience store, it’s also a very encouraging and hopeful sign that younger generations are smart enough to realize the opportunity.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
Been pushing my nephew to get in on a trade. It’s just the gift that keeps on giving. Everybody with a home wants to know a guy who can do plumbing or carpentry, so what better thing than to be that guy.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Glad to see blue collar jobs be desirable again.

I wonder how many of them are going to auto mechanic school or school for diesel mechanic. I know those particular fields were struggling to bring in new ppl.

I know a lot of veteran auto mechanics were telling ppl interested in the field to stay away from what I read over the years.

EDIT: I see vehicle maintenance and repair listed in OP, I missed that skimming though the article the first time :mjlol:

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
When they start telling you to go to a certain area, you have to question the why?

Remember when they were telling everybody to get into STEM not too long ago, now it's not hot like it was.

Learning a trade is good, but if everybody starts running to your specific trade, what's going to happen?

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Glad to see blue collar jobs be desirable again.

I wonder how many of them are going to auto mechanic school or school for diesel mechanic. I know those particular fields were struggling to bring in new ppl.

I know a lot of veteran auto mechanics were telling ppl interested in the field to stay away from what I read over the years.

EDIT: I see vehicle repair listed in OP, I missed that skimming though the article the first time :mjlol:
my dad did that for a while. said it beats the fukk outta your body, and i wouldnt be surprised

Daps
When they start telling you to go to a certain area, you have to question the why?

Remember when they were telling everybody to get into STEM not too long ago, now it's not hot like it was.

Learning a trade is good, but if everybody starts running to your specific trade, what's going to happen?
The goal is for the elites to make sure their kids have no competition for white collar careers: investment banking, software/electrical engineering, medicine, law, accounting etc.

Trades IMO are good for people that have a passion for that kind of work and have no desire for college.

Military is also a great option if you want to do something with your life but have no idea where to start.

Do you think plumbers and electricians are going to elite prep schools or fancy suburban high schools pushing the "trades" talk? Nope. They are targeting working class boys, which inevitably means Blacks and browns.

Main concern is a lot of talented Black kids will get funneled onto this track. Good if you're inclined but bad if your brain is wired to be a surgeon instead of an HVAC guy.

It's not just about money. They want you to focus on salaries and earning potential....but the plumber isn't running for public office on the local city council or for the state legislature. Law school grads and occasionally B-school grads are doing that. The power still OVERWHELMINGLY rests with the college folks. Trades should only be considered if it's something you really want.....not just a way to avoid Calculus II and O-Chem.

Last edited:

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
The goal is for the elites to make sure their kids have no competition for white collar careers: investment banking, software/electrical engineering, medicine, law, accounting etc.

Trades IMO are good for people that have a passion for that kind of work and have no desire for college.

Military is also a great option if you want to do something with your life but have no idea where to start.

Do you think plumbers and electricians are going to elite prep schools or fancy suburban high schools pushing the "trades" talk? Nope. They are targeting working class boys, which inevitably means Blacks and browns.

Main concern is a lot of talented Black kids will get funneled onto this track. Good if you're inclined but bad if your brain is wired to be a surgeon instead of an HVAC guy.

They haven't won a thing.

People are going to soon realize they've been sold a lie and there's going to be an uproar.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

I agree and the "too many college educated" line raises my suspicions sometimes but I think the trades can be a sweet spot for Black men with only a high school or associates degree with no plans for college. Some even let you start with a GED or less. These underemployed or dead end job Black men need to be hurried to the trades ASAP.