General Motors workers call their first nation wide strike since 1982

JackRoss

Veteran
Daps
Really comes down to trying to get back some of the things we conceded during bankruptcy. Gave up cost of living allowance, gave up some insurance things, haven't had a real raise in about ten years, GM is employing temps off and on for 5 plus years instead of hiring them or allowing transfers from idled plants. They didn't present a legitimate offer until 2 hours before the deadline. They have made record profits in the last few years but are still idling plants. There is a lot that goes into it.

What is with the hiring of the temps? Is it to avoid giving them benefits? Are they offered a permanent job after 90 days or 120 days? I avoided Ford last year because I wasn't sure how secure my job would be.

Also did you have to take a test to get hired in?

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Really comes down to trying to get back some of the things we conceded during bankruptcy. Gave up cost of living allowance, gave up some insurance things, haven't had a real raise in about ten years, GM is employing temps off and on for 5 plus years instead of hiring them or allowing transfers from idled plants. They didn't present a legitimate offer until 2 hours before the deadline. They have made record profits in the last few years but are still idling plants. There is a lot that goes into it.
Yeah a guy I know at Ford said they was doing the same thing with temporary workers

Before the bailout you’d be a temp for maybe a year or two with the guarantee that you’d be permanent afterwards.

Now he was telling me it’s mfs who been temp for 5-6 years with no guarantee of permanent status. They can get bounced out at any moment

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
What is with the hiring of the temps? Is it to avoid giving them benefits? Are they offered a permanent job after 90 days or 120 days? I avoided Ford last year because I wasn't sure how secure my job would be.

Also did you have to take a test to get hired in?

It's to avoid giving them full benefits and full pay. Temps don't make as much as full time employees. They let them go at every holiday and bring them back after to not have to give holiday pay. GM hasn't hired anyone permanent in years, but there are temps that have been in and out going on ten years now.

Yes, you do have to take a test. Dexterity and drug.

I've been there 22 years so I'm full time, but haven't had a raise in ten years

JackRoss

Veteran
Daps
It's to avoid giving them full benefits and full pay. Temps don't make as much as full time employees. They let them go at every holiday and bring them back after to not have to give holiday pay. GM hasn't hired anyone permanent in years, but there are temps that have been in and out going on ten years now.

I figured that's what it was. That's dirty as hell. No raise in 10 years? Union leaders and reps allowed that to happen?

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Yeah a guy I know at Ford said they was doing the same thing with temporary workers

Before the bailout you’d be a temp for maybe a year or two with the guarantee that you’d be permanent afterwards.

Now he was telling me it’s mfs who been temp for 5-6 years with no guarantee of permanent status
I got fam that work or retired from at ford right now. The car companies haven't hired any permanent staff in years. Keep them on as temps so they can keep the wages low and
not offer them benefits. Every election season there are groups around to get the workers to vote against unions in their state. Profit sharing decreases yearly but you see the profits the car manufacturers increasing. A whole lot a fukkery going on.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

So can you give us more perspective on the impact the strike is having. With the number of temps GM is paying will the 50k on strike cause the plants to shut down completely or will they just produce fewer cars with the temps?

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
So can you give us more perspective on the impact the strike is having. With the number of temps GM is paying will the 50k on strike cause the plants to shut down completely or will they just produce fewer cars with the temps?
plants are shutdown right now. losing a estimated 1 million a hour. UAW and GM are in negotiations from reports

Icantspell

#freedaguys
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO FOREVER

How much u making

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
It's the shadow government, elites, and etc that pick the puppet they are going to shove their hand up of. Trump was gonna be president regardless. Our votes dont matter hence the popular vote never determines who's president This strike isn't gonna change anything.
the president doesn't control GM breh.... fukk is you talking about

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I used to do Pensions for GM workers. Those guys are the WOAT. THESE ARE THE FUKKERS THAT BROKE THE MANUFACTURING ECONOMY.

Job for life cacs who get huge pensions and never went to school. Work 30-50 years at the same job marrying fukking and having affairs with each other. Their finances are a fukking headache. If you really want to see why society has classes all you gotta do is look at people like this who make good paper and still live like they are at the bottom. Men who are retirement age with child support payments and alimonies eating up their wallets.

I'm not even supposed to ever talk about this shyt because we signed confidentiality papers and looked into people's lives. But the shyt is disgusting. Boomers really fukked the world. They DESTROYED union work and manufacturing industry being lazy and inefficient after they got set up and the shyt rolled down the hill. They really have nothing to protest about. The manufacturing industry will never rebound in the way people expect it to be with livable wages like back then. It just doesn't compute with the global economy now. Our grandparents used to buy things and have them for decades. We are in the store daily. Things are made cheap and low quality. Anyone today talking about bringing the manufacturing jobs back will not pay what it costs to buy goods made in the west. It's a stalemate.