Good hamstring exercises besides squats...

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Pulled my hammy about a month and a half ago lifting heavy ass furniture, and that completely shut down most of my leg days at the gym. Doctor said I had a grade 2 strain and should be good to go in a month or so. About 2 weeks ago I started doing some hammy curls to gain my strength back and I made alot of progress(almost back to full strength).

That was until tonight when I tried to squat. I had 135 on the bar.....135. I couldn't get 2 reps, my hammy had absolutely no strength in it.

Now I'm confused as fukk because how the hell can I curl but can't squat? It's hitting the same muscle. Any of yall got any other solid exercises for hammys/glutes? Only thing I can think of maybe I'll try some lunges next week.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
damn b how'd you pull your hammy of all things lifting furniture

I think you should be happy thats all you pulled

Lifting a heavy ass dresser up some stairs for my sister. I was doing it with my pops and he got a bad back so I was at the bottom(no homo). So I was trying to keep the dresser high so there wasn't alot of stress on his back, and when I raised it up my hamstring was just burning. Don't know exactly how it got pulled, but the doctor said it was pretty serious.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Stiff legged deadlifts, sprinting, good mornings

Then I guess machine hamstring curls

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Lifting a heavy ass dresser up some stairs for my sister. I was doing it with my pops and he got a bad back so I was at the bottom(no homo). So I was trying to keep the dresser high so there wasn't alot of stress on his back, and when I raised it up my hamstring was just burning. Don't know exactly how it got pulled, but the doctor said it was pretty serious.

damn yeah....I'd take a pulled hammy over a pulled back

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
too elaborate on why you pulled the hamstring

the hamstring's main purpose is working with your glute in posterior rotation by contracting to bring the body upright, the more you bend your knees the more work is done by the glutes and erector spinae(lower back) at bringing the body upright, with knees closer to straight the hamstrings do more work

similar to how the anterior deltoid works with the pectoralis to bring the arms together before shifting more work to the triceps while benching

the range of motion for the hamstring contraction is larger than most think too

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Pulled my hammy about a month and a half ago lifting heavy ass furniture, and that completely shut down most of my leg days at the gym. Doctor said I had a grade 2 strain and should be good to go in a month or so. About 2 weeks ago I started doing some hammy curls to gain my strength back and I made alot of progress(almost back to full strength).

That was until tonight when I tried to squat. I had 135 on the bar.....135. I couldn't get 2 reps, my hammy had absolutely no strength in it.

Now I'm confused as fukk because how the hell can I curl but can't squat? It's hitting the same muscle. Any of yall got any other solid exercises for hammys/glutes? Only thing I can think of maybe I'll try some lunges next week.
You will want to ease back into it. Just like when a track runner pulls their hammie. You can't be flying once the strain goes away.
Start squats again with 45 lbs., i.e. the barball alone.

Instead of doing squats, focus on doing a cardio workout followed by a long leg stretching routine. You don't want to restrain it too soon.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Pulling a hamstring sucks. Best thing for me when I pulled mine was just rest it and get it stretched out.

If you have a partner or someone that can stretch it out then that helps too.

shyt hurts while stretching but it feels so good at the same time
:ahh:

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to shut it down for a while because I must have strained it again last night. I got out the bed this morning walking like Fred Sanford.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2