Google Fiber looking to expand

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt is on stage at The New York Times' Dealbook conference today, and he's made a bit of news concerning the company's big broadband effort, Google Fiber. That, Schmidt says, "isn't just an experiment, it's a real business and we're trying to decide where to expand next." Unfortunately, he didn't offer much more in the way of specifics beyond that, but it sounds the chances of those who don't live in one Kansas City or the other getting some gigabit broadband to the home just got a bit better.

Eric Schmidt says Google Fiber 'isn't just an experiment,' company 'trying to decide where to expand next'

:ohlawd: bring to newark,nj

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Last edited by a moderator:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:usure:

It needs to go to New York, Chicago, or L.A. to get major pull. They are not going to get anywhere by providing service to "Fred" @hexagram23 and the 10 other people that use the internet out there.

Geographically MO and KS is about as close to the middle of the country as you can get. They're trying to build a net work and branch out from there. :snoop: at you seriously trying to give business advice to Google.

Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Geographically MO and KS is about as close to the middle of the country as you can get. They're trying to build a net work and branch out from there. :snoop: at you seriously trying to give business advice to Google.

Fred.
I was joking with the KS comment...I understand their vision of spreading out.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I was joking with the KS comment...I understand their vision of spreading out.

I'm not from KS I'm from MO though. :huhldup:

I'm sure it's all the same to a big city slicker like you. :youngsabo:

L.A. Please make my city next gen.

Cali will most likely never get Google:

How Kansas Won the Google Fiber Jackpot And Why California Never Will - Forbes

“Google is a big believer in protecting the environment for future generations, but certain types of state and local environmental rules make investment very difficult,” he explained. ” Laws like the California Environmental Quality Act can make it prohibitively expensive for companies to invest in new projects, such as our fiber project, within California.

“ Many fine California city proposals for the Google Fiber project were ultimately passed over in part because of the regulatory complexity here brought about by CEQA and other rules. Other states have equivalent processes in place to protect the environment without causing such harm to business processes, and therefore create incentives for new services to be deployed there instead.”

This could also be why they didn't go to Chi or NY. I currently live in Independence, a suburb of KCMO, so I won't have access to this for a while after KC. :manny:

Fred.

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I'm not from KS I'm from MO though. :huhldup:

I'm sure it's all the same to a big city slicker like you. :youngsabo:

Cali will most likely never get Google:

How Kansas Won the Google Fiber Jackpot And Why California Never Will - Forbes

This could also be why they didn't go to Chi or NY. I currently live in Independence, a suburb of KCMO, so I won't have access to this for a while after KC. :manny:

Fred.
I keep getting them mixed up :russ:

I haven't lived in a big city for a while and I like this part of the country :manny:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I keep getting them mixed up :russ:

I haven't lived in a big city for a while and I like this part of the country :manny:

In your defense there is a Kansas City, MO and a Kansas City, KS. I'm from KCMO. Aside from the name the two are nothing alike. KCKS has around 140k people and is mostly farm land and factories. KCMO is a city about the same size/population as Miami, Florida.

My city, KCMO, is where the horrific Kansas City Chiefs are from. :snoop:

Fred.

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
In other words, Time Warner/At&t is probably hating to keep them from taking over. How does AT&nt provide fiber but google cant.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
In other words, Time Warner/At&t is probably hating to keep them from taking over. How does AT&nt provide fiber but google cant.

Man ATT and Comcast did the same shyt when I was living in Chattanooga, TN. The power company was laying fiber lines for their own isp/phone/cable and those fakkits hated on them and got it delayed. Thankfully an injunction was issued and we got it finally. Of course I left 2 months laters to move back to the A.

But the funniest part of that shyt was ATT and Comcast saying that the power company had an unfair advantage since they were the power company. Last time I checked, every house is wired for phone and cable....but the power company is the one with the advantage?

ATT, Comcast, TimeWarner and all these companies are in politicians pockets.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
My boy was telling me that the Mayor was all for getting Google Fiber here in Chicago. That's a good sign. Will sign up the first day possible when it comes available.