Greatest NCAA QB of All Time: Steve McNair

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I ran across this article chronicling the greatest college seasons in the history of the College Football. I was surprised to see Alcorn's Steve McNair at the top of the list with Barry Sanders.

but then I thought about it. Honestly I haven't witnessed a more electrifying college QB since the Air McNair Era.
Most people see the highlights and forget that McNair was a pure pocket passer with the ability to scramble.
ESPN needs to do a 30 for 30 on that Heisman season in 94.

The List

ESPN.com - Page2 - Best individual college football seasons

2. Steve McNair, Alcorn State (1994)
McNair's incredible season, in which he led his 1-AA team to an 8-2-1 record, will always be suspect -- he was playing on a pass-giddy team against smaller competition.

But the heck with the doubters. Troy State head coach Larry Blakeney, who coached Bo Jackson during his 12 years at Auburn, told the L.A. Times, "Steve McNair is the best football player I've ever seen. ... He'd be the best player on Colorado's team or Nebraska's team, too. He'd be the best player on any team in Division I-A. He's that good. ... He can do more to beat you with his abilities than anyone else I've ever seen. That includes Bo."

McNair's stats: 4,863 yards passing, 936 yards rushing for an NCAA record 5,799 yards in total offense. QB rating: 155.4. TD passes: 44. And in the Heisman voting, he managed to finish third despite the doubters, and received 111 first-place votes.

Last edited:

SoulController

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Almighty Garden State
list needs 2000 Dan Morgan, only player to win the Nagurski/Bednarik and Butkus in the same year

didnt see Steve in college, i dont think too many did, but he was fun to watch as a pro.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
Jameis-Winston-crab-legs-face.jpg

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Saw him destroy Southern University each year. nikka passes was like punts. He would slang that shyt from one end of the field to the other. Ball would land in the receivers hands or right between the numbers. 400 yards passing in a game wasn't shyt to him :francis:. I can hear them country ass Mississippi nikkas doing the "tomahawk chop" till this day

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Saw him destroy Southern University each year. nikka passes was like punts. He would slang that shyt from one end of the field to the other. Ball would land in the receivers hands or right between the numbers. 400 yards passing in a game wasn't shyt to him :francis:. I can hear them country ass Mississippi nikkas doing the "tomahawk chop" till this day

:mjlol:

why we gotta be all that?

the way he was serving Jstate at the :47 second mark