Green energy in Africa being made for bitcoin mining

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Firm Bets on 900MW Wind Farm in the Sahara Desert to Mine Bitcoin

As Bitcoin mining becomes more popular, the electrical cost for running the operation is causing a series of problems for local communities and environmental groups.

Soluna, a computing company that uses renewable energy to power its systems, wants to offset the carbon footprint of mining Bitcoin by building a wind-powered blockchain computing infrastructure in the Sahara Desert.

Since it was first launched, blockchain has been a menace to the energy sector as it relies on the Proof-of-Work (PoW) consensus mechanism to remain secure. Bitcoin already consumes too much energy. Digiconomist reports mining operation uses approximately 71 terawatt hours (TWh) per year, an equivalent of 10% of China’s annual energy usage. It also uses as much energy as Ireland and Austria. Due to the high energy consumption of the activity, miners are continually looking for communities where power is cheap.

According to its press release, Soluna will develop a 900MW wind farm power plant in Morocco which will be combined with the company’s private computing facilities to power the blockchain in an eco-friendly and sustainable way.

It's nice that they are trying to save the planet, but how is this benefiting Morocco? Or any other African country that has this setup? Is this wind farm powering homes in the area? Or anything in the area? Does the country get a percentage of the bitcoin?

This seems innocuous on its face but this looks like a stepping stone to a land grab in the future. Also these countries that are impoverished or struggling to grow their economies will not benefit from such a deal as laid out in the article.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Firm Bets on 900MW Wind Farm in the Sahara Desert to Mine Bitcoin

It's nice that they are trying to save the planet, but how is this benefiting Morocco? Or any other African country that has this setup? Is this wind farm powering homes in the area? Or anything in the area? Does the country get a percentage of the bitcoin?

This seems innocuous on its face but this looks like a stepping stone to a land grab in the future. Also these countries that are impoverished or struggling to grow their economies will not benefit from such a deal as laid out in the article.
I'd guess employment opportunities, human capital, and tax revenue. Possibly some supporting infrastructure.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I'd guess employment opportunities, human capital, and tax revenue. Possibly some supporting infrastructure.

Employment opportunities would be low-skill work and temporary. Human capital, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Tax revenue is a possibility, but what are they taxing exactly? The coins, electricity, or something else? Infrastructure is another maybe depends who they hire and where they are hiring them.