get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Groups launch regional social media campaign for healthy food policies​

January 26, 2024

7765097.jpg

BRIDGETOWN BARBADOS: The Healthy Caribbean Coalition (HCC) along with partners, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Barbados (HSFB), the Heart Foundation of Jamaica (HFJ) and the Jamaica Youth Advocacy Network (JYAN), have launched “See the Truth”, a regional social media campaign to advocate for healthy food policies including include front of package octagonal warning label (FOPWL).

The initiative also aims to build support for the implementation of measures to safeguard policymaking processes by highlighting industry interference tactics deployed during the front-of-package labelling decision making process. The campaign builds on past advocacy campaigns Make it Make Sense and People Over Profit campaigns, that aimed to build support for evidence-informed healthy food policies while highlighting the challenges of conflicts of interest and industry interference to policy development

The Caribbean, is facing a health crisis fuelled by a rise in unhealthy diets with an excess of ultra-processed food products high in sodium, sugars, saturated fats and other additives. This diet is the leading risk factor for obesity and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) such as diabetes, hypertension and some cancers

Last edited:

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Groups launch regional social media campaign for healthy food policies​

January 26, 2024

7765097.jpg

BRIDGETOWN BARBADOS: The Healthy Caribbean Coalition (HCC) along with partners, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Barbados (HSFB), the Heart Foundation of Jamaica (HFJ) and the Jamaica Youth Advocacy Network (JYAN), have launched “See the Truth”, a regional social media campaign to advocate for healthy food policies including include front of package octagonal warning label (FOPWL).

The initiative also aims to build support for the implementation of measures to safeguard policymaking processes by highlighting industry interference tactics deployed during the front-of-package labelling decision making process. The campaign builds on past advocacy campaigns Make it Make Sense and People Over Profit campaigns, that aimed to build support for evidence-informed healthy food policies while highlighting the challenges of conflicts of interest and industry interference to policy development

The Caribbean, is facing a health crisis fuelled by a rise in unhealthy diets with an excess of ultra-processed food products high in sodium, sugars, saturated fats and other additives. This diet is the leading risk factor for obesity and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) such as diabetes, hypertension and some cancers

Long time coming. Diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease have been decimating the Caribbean population. Really need to get the 'sweet drink' (sodas) culture out along with the high starch menus.

The days of those menus being necessary are long gone.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Long time coming. Diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease have been decimating the Caribbean population. Really need to get the 'sweet drink' (sodas) culture out along with the high starch menus.

Yeah, been tracking the rise in those health issues in the region. It's alarming.
My family has terrible eating habits going back to where we're from. My uncle explained to me that because of the hot climate, the hard work that people have to do to live, and the natural products that they ate, it didn't catch up to them.
Change any of those factors (processed foods) or (sedentary work and lifestyle), and the predictable happens.

Some of the decision makers at these corporations are evil. I remember the battle waged here to prevent the nutrition labels being placed on foods.

So, I could imagine how hard companies are fighting to keep food WARNING tags from packaging in the Caribbean.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
Stop importing dem people processed garbage and bubble a damn pot :manny:

Not necessarily the problem.

They be cooking dishes and then adding 5 different types of starchy carbohydrate filled foods.

If I got potatoes why do I need yam banana dumplings as well :scust:

shyt is fine in moderation but shyt is OD sometimes

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London

Agree, I will always love my JA food, but damn its extremely carb heavy, our breakfasts alone can be crazy. Luckily being in UK, I have much more healthy options which can be cheap to purchase. In JA, those options are not as cheap.

Also the sweet drinks are mad, its even hard to find the sugar free versions. Its like you're speaking a next language when you ask someone in Mega Mart for sugar free lol.

And whilst we have pure fruits, but far too much of it isn't good either with all that Fructose, of course better than the manufactured fizzy drinks.

Def its about education, as I had to tell my little cousins over xmas to lay off so many sugary drinks, they were like "what we gonna drink then" lol

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Fam this is long overdue! You go back home and try tell people about cut down or take a smaller portion and they wanna look at you like you mad!
• Imported soft and juice in a package flooded with sugar.
• Imported cornflakes flooded with sugar.
• Extremely high sodium in products.

There’s a calculated attack on the Caribbean.

All these Western imported stuff ain’t it.

The Locals need to make better decisions and look at the wisdoms from plantation culture and adjust to now for answers.

I always get asked how I stay in shape and I be tryna tell em
it’s even easier in the Caribbean with the right insight.

The bests fruits and ground provision you’ll ever have in your life is right there in the backyard.

The freshest free-range chicken right there in the backyard.

The freshest fish right there from the fish market.

The people need to hold on to the old ways of Creole Gardens and keep living off the land.

Creole Salad for lunch when I need to be quick on my feet.

Ground provision got me lifting like the Hulk LOL

We got every dietary necessity we need in-house back home.

Last edited:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Not necessarily the problem.

They be cooking dishes and then adding 5 different types of starchy carbohydrate filled foods.

If I got potatoes why do I need yam banana dumplings as well :scust:

shyt is fine in moderation but shyt is OD sometimes

It depends on what you're doing and your lifestyle. If you're active then a lot of the diet across the islands will balance themselves out. If you're walking everywhere and especially climbing up and down hills/mountainous terrain every day, it will balance itself out.

The problem is the mentality. Barbados isn't England. Jamaica isn't the US. Trinbago isn't bloody Canada. So the things you see on tv or online will not translate to you if you're drinking sodas and eating imported canned/processed foods when you're sitting at a desk working in finance all day. Or you feel you have money and you're in KFC or Starbucks all the time. It simply will not work. And it sure as hell won't work if you grew up in whatever island nation and move to those places where the lifestyle doesn't match up and you're not anywhere near as active as you were at home.

I agree with you regarding better habits and a need to have our local chefs develop cuisines to better reflect more positive habits, but that overall mentality has to be tackled first.

Barbados Slim

All Star
Daps
• Imported soft and juice in a package flooded with sugar.
• Imported cornflakes flooded with sugar.
• Extremely high sodium in products.

There’s a calculated attack on the Caribbean.

All these Western imported stuff ain’t it.

The Locals need to make better decisions and look at the wisdoms from plantation culture and adjust to now for answers.

I always get asked how I stay in shape and I be tryna tell em
it’s even easier in the Caribbean with the right insight.

The bests fruits and ground provision you’ll ever have in your life is right there in the backyard.

The freshest free-range chicken right there in the backyard.

The freshest fish right there from the fish market.

The people need to hold on to the old ways of Creole Gardens and keep living off the land.

Facts! My folks are both in their 70's and in great shape - they pretty much live off of their land!

All the fruits and veg you can think of they grow for themselves.

Free range chicken and eggs from a cousin not far away.

Be out tending to the garden every day, thats solid exercise. And plenty of walking in the hills.

But you gotta change people's mentality.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Some might see the Western foods and products as the modern way, and think that they are missing out/behind the times by not adopting it fully. The same way they might view fashion and tech from abroad.

Caribbean lover

All Star
Daps
Barbados has to have one of the highest percentage of fast food places. Chefette and KFC everywhere you turn especially combined with chefettes marketing , lack of time to prepare meals and most people are constantly stuck in a loop of eating fast food.

I also remember fierce opposition from the local private sector here to these labels