Guitar vs piano for beat making?

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I want to get more serious in making beats. I know guitar and plan to get a guitar like midi controller. But is the guitar too limiting in comparison? Would I be better off learning piano and have that be my production instrument?

Watching this video made me skeptical about sticking with guitar for this.

Thoughts?

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
i prefer piano but man the guitar adds :ohlawd: to a joint.. my homeboy can play a little guitar and bass so I'll have him riff to some of my shyt and chop it up :ehh:

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
isnt the note range wider on a piano? id go with that, especially considering you might need one hand on the mod/pitch wheel

A guitar like midi controller would take this issue away because I wouldn't need to strum. Also most pianos have 88 keys. A 24 fret guitar has 6 notes for each fret, so 144 "keys" by comparison?

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I got a full 88 Key Digital Piano for making music.

The piano is the best instrument to know for making beats or any other electronic composition because the piano has the full range of musical notes, scales, chords and expression, unlike a guitar because on a piano...you play 10 notes at a time vs 6 on a guitar.

Second....the midi keyboard is based off piano....

If you don't know shyt about chords or melodies...the theory behind the music...then it's gonna be pretty fukking hard to compose anything...and knowing piano...like starter level kid piano...will help you tremendously...

So get a piano...

Most songs are made on the piano...

Most songs are modeled off the piano...

I start everything with a damn piano...and then convert it to synths and etc...cause if it sounds good on the piano...then I just gotta pick my instrument in Serum...

Guitar is cool to know and learn...but electronic music is piano based...

If you was making folk, country or rock songs, it would be different.

Im Exhausted

All for one, One for all.
Daps
I know how to play guitar. I'm trained in classical guitar but I play some flamenco too. I want to learn jazz.

Piano is easy enough to not have to train for like 4 years to get proficient?
The fingering is easier to position your hands. And by using scales.

King Kai

Supporter
Daps
Piano is easier to learn and those skills are much more compatible with synthesizers etc.

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
why would you chop it:lupe:
to synthesize/manipulate the sounds...experiment :ehh:

and emphasis on he can play a "little" guitar...so he basically figuring shyt out and once in awhile he'll catch a cool riff that i'll use as is...but mostly i just like to take the chords and do my own thing with them.