Guitar vs piano for beat making?

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
if you say guitar over keys you're not a serious music producer. any daw uses the piano format good luck trying to edit midi and replaying shyt on the guitar. that ish will make agitate you

I'm classically trained on piano and self taught on guitar. If I had to choose I choose keys and midi. A great vst can emulate guitars.
shh don't let them know

director_of_bands

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
qc NC
sheeit I thought if you can play the keys technology will give ypu any sound you want but of course I aint no producer

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I got a full 88 Key Digital Piano for making music.

The piano is the best instrument to know for making beats or any other electronic composition because the piano has the full range of musical notes, scales, chords and expression, unlike a guitar because on a piano...you play 10 notes at a time vs 6 on a guitar.

Second....the midi keyboard is based off piano....

If you don't know shyt about chords or melodies...the theory behind the music...then it's gonna be pretty fukking hard to compose anything...and knowing piano...like starter level kid piano...will help you tremendously...

So get a piano...

Most songs are made on the piano...

Most songs are modeled off the piano...

I start everything with a damn piano...and then convert it to synths and etc...cause if it sounds good on the piano...then I just gotta pick my instrument in Serum...

Guitar is cool to know and learn...but electronic music is piano based...

If you was making folk, country or rock songs, it would be different.

I'm classically trained on piano and self taught on guitar. If I had to choose I choose keys and midi. A great vst can emulate guitars.

If I was to produce with a guitar I would get a device like this

It's the same thing as a midi keyboard but in the shape of a guitar. Does this seem like it could be a useful in hip hop? Right now I'm only using drum pads to input notes but would rather use my native instrument (guitar device like above) or learn piano and use a keyboard.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
You can play with the envelope and have the piano (midi controller) sounding like a guitar or other string instrument.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place

What about something like this? Same thing as a regular keyboard but in guitar form.

If you are think of going this route, I would advise you to learn piano with a keyboard controller.

Check the dates on the videos. Old tech that never blew up

You'll need and amp or amp vst if you want a real guitar.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection

What about something like this? Same thing as a regular keyboard but in guitar form.

You get more notes with a piano. Invest in a solid 88 key joint.

If you want a guitar like controller...just get a real guitar. The sound will be so much better.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
It's the same thing as a midi keyboard but in the shape of a guitar. Does this seem like it could be a useful in hip hop? Right now I'm only using drum pads to input notes but would rather use my native instrument (guitar device like above) or learn piano and use a keyboard.

I was talking about making electronic music in general. And how important it is to know music theory that correlates to popular forms of music...which is easier learned on the piano...since it has the full range of musical expression.

I mean...you can play the entire song Earned It on piano...that's why I fukks with the piano and preferred it over the guitar. I wanted to be able to play a song, a melody and then put in the computer...and have that shyt sound nice.

If you noticed...he was still using the guitar like the intended instrument and still used like guitar sounds...

If you watch any Hip Hop producer...depending on the style...but say a Hip Hop producer that composes idk...Trap beats...

They use the mouse and their computer keyboard half the time...like they ain't banging away on a drum pad or whatever because trap music is very time and rhythm specific and they want it exactly right...

But they use musical theory principles...like Dorian scales or 7th chords...

That shyt is easier to learn on a piano and it is easier to utilize when working on your computer..

Not too many Hip Hop producers fukk with actual instruments when making beats...

You don't need to...

I copped a Maschine, thought it would be easier to drum and shyt and that shyt wasn't...

What actually improved my drumming is playing the piano and knowing what the fukk a 1/16th and a 1/4th is...

You already trained in an instrument...

Get you a midi keyboard...and if you find a dope guitar midi you can use that too...

But majority of producers breh...they use a keyboard and a mouse and they study a little piano...and watch YouTube...

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
Do both. They are both in reasonable range to purchase:yeshrug:

I like piano and I think it's the easiest, but nothing beats a good guitar lick.

Just make quality purchases and say No limitations.