Gut microbes may impact your mental health!

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
The most interesting aspects of the article are posted below

Mental Health May Depend on Creatures in the Gut

Microbes may have their own evolutionary reasons for communicating with the brain. They need us to be social, says John Cryan, a neuroscientist at University College Cork in Ireland, so that they can spread through the human population. Cryan's research shows that when bred in sterile conditions, germ-free mice lacking in intestinal microbes also lack an ability to recognize other mice with whom they interact. In other studies, disruptions of the microbiome induced mice behavior that mimics human anxiety, depression and even autism. In some cases, scientists restored more normal behavior by treating their test subjects with certain strains of benign bacteria. Nearly all the data so far are limited to mice, but Cryan believes the findings provide fertile ground for developing analogous compounds, which he calls psychobiotics, for humans. “That dietary treatments could be used as either adjunct or sole therapy for mood disorders is not beyond the realm of possibility,” he says.

:picard:

A decade ago a research team led by Nobuyuki Sudo, now a professor of internal medicine at Kyushu University in Japan, restrained germ-free mice in a narrow tube for up to an hour and then measured their stress hormone output. The amounts detected in the germ-free animals were far higher than those measured in normal control mice exposed to the same restraint. These hormones are released by the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, which in the germ-free mice was clearly dysfunctional. But more important, the scientists also found they could induce more normal hormonal responses simply by pretreating the animals with a single microbe: a bacterium called Bifidobacterium infantis. This finding showed for the first time that intestinal microbes could influence stress responses in the brain and hinted at the possibility of using probiotic treatments to affect brain function in beneficial ways.

:wow:

If you thought that was wild, check out what else these scientists found out

Meanwhile a research team at McMaster University in Ontario led by microbiologist Premsyl Bercik and gastroenterologist Stephen Collins discovered that if they colonized the intestines of one strain of germ-free mice with bacteria taken from the intestines of another mouse strain, the recipient animals would take on aspects of the donor's personality. Naturally timid mice would become more exploratory, whereas more daring mice would become apprehensive and shy. These tendencies suggested that microbial interactions with the brain could induce anxiety and mood disorders.

:ohhh:

Scientists have also begun to explore the microbiome's potential role in autism. In 2007 the late Paul Patterson, a neuroscientist and developmental biologist at the California Institute of Technology, was intrigued by epidemiological data showing that women who suffer from a high, prolonged fever during pregnancy are up to seven times more likely to have a child with autism. These data suggested an alternative cause for autism besides genetics. To investigate, Patterson induced flulike symptoms in pregnant mice with a viral mimic: an immunostimulant called polyinosinic:polycytidylic acid, or poly(I:C). He called this the maternal immune activation (MIA) model.
The offspring of Patterson's MIA mice displayed all three of the core features of human autism: limited social interactions, a tendency toward repetitive behavior and reduced communication, which he assessed by using a special microphone to measure the length and duration of their ultrasonic vocalizations. In addition, the mice had leaky intestines, which was important because anywhere from 40 to 90 percent of all children with autism suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms.

Read the rest of the article here: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mental-health-may-depend-on-creatures-in-the-gut/

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
I learned this shyt recently

The microbes in you make up like 30% of your mass (No Google)

And they can send signals to your BRAIN to make you crave certain food.

If they were suddenly separated from you they'd die and you'd die

shyt is spooky

I am about to get the book:

51vlCKW5HhL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

because this stuff has interested me. Life is far more interesting than could be imagined when you take a deeper look into the essence of it. :wow:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I am about to get the book:

51vlCKW5HhL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

because this stuff has interested me. Life is far more interesting than could be imagined when you take a deeper look into the essence of it. :wow:

Thanks for the fact check Breh. I been fukcing that stat up and I knew it deep down

Good thread. I been talking about this IRL

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This is old science that was abandoned for modern form of mental health treatment. It is now being pursued again because it is becoming increasingly clear that there is a link.

What becomes more and more apparent is that by disrupting out food and altering it we have done more damage than we could ever anticipate. Beyond weight gain and other common forms of accepted negative effects. We have damaged our minds.

Our food eco system is corrupted and so are we now in many ways from cancers to mood disorders.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
All your yummy feelings come from your stomach, the second brain, some would say the first brain. “I knew it in my gut.” If you are not careful with the combinations you put in there you can really warp your sense of well being. It’s a chemistry experiment, use the best ingredients to get the best results. Drink water.

3079.jpg

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Please share.
Well simply put, The root causes of an imbalanced gut are antibiotics and crap food in that order. That shyt can literally affect you're cognitive functionality. Most western diets are trash btw . Additionally, if you dont keep your gut in check that foster growth in fungus which can lead to a bunch of other ailments.

Look up beneficial bacteria and beneficial yeast.

There's a ton of info out there, some of it is quack bs and some of it is scientifically proven.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Don't get me started on parasites:scust:

Growing up in Africa my folks did a yearly traditional parasite purge that involved eating a particular tree bark that was a potent cleanser. Whatever it was it had the strongest taste of anything I have ever consumed. It was traditional medicine and it worked.

We have lost a lot of natural remedies as well by only focusing on western medicine.