Happy birthday Malcolm X

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
A local radio station was playing his Pacifica Archive speeches today. Powerful stuff, especially when he delved into the need for black nationalism and the way democratic politicians (Dixiecrats) use black voters. It's sad how relevant his speeches are to this day and that no one since has been able to fill his role as a, by any means necessary, rights/empowerment leader. RIP to the GOAT.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983

On his group economics shyt, great speech (I've seen someone here with this video as a sig, can't remember who it was)

The Coli says this man is a c00n though because of his religion of choice and his views.

How could he be a c00n when he wasn't even black? :comeon:

He only had 3 black grandparents, remember? :usure:

:mjlol:

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A local radio station was playing his Pacifica Archive speeches today. Powerful stuff, especially when he delved into the need for black nationalism and the way democratic politicians (Dixiecrats) use black voters. It's sad how relevant his speeches are to this day and that no one since has been able to fill his role as a, by any means necessary, rights/empowerment leader. RIP to the GOAT.

It is stunning how relevant his speeches still are. It is just crazy how he was and still is able to break things down so that the average black man could grasp what he was saying. Reading his autobiography and then listening to his speeches are just completely eye opening. He was smart. He was funny, but most importantly he was brutally honest not only about White people but about Black people too. However, most of all his statements were thought provoking and on the money; I was reminded of that recently when looking at the news coverage in Ferguson and Baltimore:

Malcolm X on the Press:

"The press is so powerful in its image-making role, it can make the criminal look like he's a the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal. This is the press, an irresponsible press. It will make the criminal look like he's the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal. If you aren't careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.
If you aren't careful, because I've seen some of you caught in that bag, you run away hating yourself and loving the man — while you're catching hell from the man. You let the man maneuver you into thinking that it's wrong to fight him when he's fighting you. He's fighting you in the morning, fighting you in the noon, fighting you at night and fighting you all in between, and you still think it's wrong to fight him back. Why? The press. The newspapers make you look wrong."

I wish that more poor and middle class Black men would listen to his speeches and think about what he is saying. It is incredibly relevant to them.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Very well put, I think a lot of people these days are scared of listening to his speeches not because they're scared of the knowledge but rather because they think it won't keep their attention. Malcolm's power as a speaker came from his ability to speak the heavy truth and at the same time still be able make it so that it wouldn't go over people's heads. Hopefully more people will start giving it a chance but I find it sad that this thread is many hours old and is still on its first page while the race bait threads here are doing numbers around it.

It is stunning how relevant his speeches still are. It is just crazy how he was and still is able to break things down so that the average black man could grasp what he was saying. Reading his autobiography and then listening to his speeches are just completely eye opening. He was smart. He was funny, but most importantly he was brutally honest not only about White people but about Black people too. However, most of all his statements were thought provoking and on the money; I was reminded of that recently when looking at the news coverage in Ferguson and Baltimore:

Malcolm X on the Press:

"The press is so powerful in its image-making role, it can make the criminal look like he's a the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal. This is the press, an irresponsible press. It will make the criminal look like he's the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal. If you aren't careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.
If you aren't careful, because I've seen some of you caught in that bag, you run away hating yourself and loving the man — while you're catching hell from the man. You let the man maneuver you into thinking that it's wrong to fight him when he's fighting you. He's fighting you in the morning, fighting you in the noon, fighting you at night and fighting you all in between, and you still think it's wrong to fight him back. Why? The press. The newspapers make you look wrong."

I wish that more poor and middle class Black men would listen to his speeches and think about what he is saying. It is incredibly relevant to them.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Malcolm X on America's greatest crime:

“America's greatest crime against the black man was not slavery or lynching, but that he was taught to wear a mask of self-hate and self-doubt.”

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Malcolm X on Negros in Jail:

“You can’t be a Negro in America and not have a criminal record,” he said. “Martin Luther King has been to jail. James Farmer has been to jail. Why, you can’t name a black man in this country who is sick and tired of the hell that he’s catching who hasn’t been to jail.”