Harlem in 1947 (PICS)

H@LLOW

All green everything
Supporter
Daps
Move forward to 2014 and you have black ink ad bytches a low payin job thinking teddy is cute. :smh:

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
You know, I look at these photos of all these old timey people dressed in suits and I think to myself:

Why in the world in 2014 is a suit so expensive and most of us wear them not even a third as much as they did?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In this time:

Black communities were stronger and more united. Blacks knew what the enemy was and were on one accord on how to defeat it. In Harlem in particular you had STRONG voices like Garvey and WEB Dubois speaking the real shyt. Blacks were gaining some rights in the NE part of the country, so many blacks had gainful employment and were able to start business, thereby creating a viable black middle class. Furthermore Harlem was literally the epicenter of the black music scene in America, due to its plethora of musical talent. Many jazz artists from Harlem would go on to gain international fame due to their extraordinary abilities.

Honestly many communities in the United states are far worse off than these black people in 1945 because they currently have far less stable communities than those people in the photo enjoyed. Sad but true.

I personally blame the welfare mentality that many blacks have unfortunately adopted as a way of life. Sad but true.[DOUBLEPOST=1397391115][/DOUBLEPOST]

Exactly. Food was all organic. People were more active. How many fat kids or sloppy looking people do you see? Go to harlem now all you see is fat cacs and nikkas wearing smedium dipset shirts and dresses. :heh:[DOUBLEPOST=1397391290][/DOUBLEPOST]

For black folk. Yes blacks were able to enjoy themselves without the company of white folk. I know that concept seems foreign now, but there was a time that black folk could all hang out and entertain each other without the need for white folk being around. But that's neither here nor there....

You do realize Jim Crow was still in full effect right? It was more than blacks just being separate from whites. it was also the fact that they didn't have the same luxuries or opportunities as whites as well(equal pay, housing, voting rights, education, quality of life, etc)

also Garvey and Dubois while both great leaders in their own right had conflicting ideologies and pretty much hated each other. Dubois would also more than likely completely disagree with you if he read your post

I'm not saying there weren't many great things going on in black America at this time but to act like it was some sort of black utopia we should strive to go back towards undermines the work black folks did to get out of that era

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
You do realize Jim Crow was still in full effect right? It was more than blacks just being separate from whites. it was also the fact that they didn't have the same luxuries or opportunities as whites as well(equal pay, housing, voting rights, education, quality of life, etc)

also Garvey and Dubois while both great leaders in their own right had conflicting ideologies and pretty much hated each other. Dubois would also more than likely completely disagree with you if he read your post

I'm not saying there weren't many great things going on in black America at this time but to act like it was some sort of black utopia we should strive to go back towards undermines the work black folks did to get out of that era

The promotion of black pride and unity is what gave blacks the where with all and backbone to witshstand the terrors they faced during the civil rights era. If blacks didn't have their own economies (which they were FORCED to have due to segration) how the hell do you all think they could have withstand the terrors they faced? They didn't have equal opportunities to mix with WHITE institutions, your right, but they still have a large number of black institutions that enabled them to thrive as a community. Hell in the south the HBCU's that many c00ns in here deride as "inferior" institutions, are probably responsible for the existence of the black middle class that existed throught the 1900's up until today.

I'm a fim believer that integration actually destroyed the black community, primarily due to black people obsession with being around white folk, but that's neither here nor there....:mjpls:

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
zachary-breaux_uptown-groove.jpg